- Royal Citadel, Plymouth
The Royal Citadel of
Plymouthwas built in the late 1660s to the design of Sir Bernard de Gomme, overlooking the Plymouth Sound, on the site of the earlier Plymouth Fort that had been built in the time of Sir Francis Drake. King Charles II decided it was necessary after the Dutch Warsof 1664-67 to realise the importance of Plymouth as a channel port. Possibly due to Plymouth's support for the Parliamentarians in the Civil War the guns could also fire on the town itself.
Work began on the Citadel in March
1665, however it was not until July 18th 1666that the foundation stone was laid by Lord Bath. The Citadel itself is built of local limestone, while the gateway is built entirely from Portland stone.
It was the most important English defence for over 100 years, with 70ft high walls, and was regularly strengthened over the years, particularly during the 1750's when it was equipped with 113 guns. It is still used today by the military, but it is also a tourist attraction in the summer, with guided tours available.Fisher's Nose Blockhouse, located on its south east corner, dates from
1490- 1540. On the opposite bank to Fisher's Nose is the Queen Anne's Battery, dating from 1667.
2007the government granted itself planning permission to build a construction outside the western walls and over the moat to create an enclosed yard and indoor carpark for military vehicles.Fact|date=September 2007
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.