GEO-2000 is the
United Nations Environment Programme(UNEP) Global Environment Outlook 2000.
The UNEP launched the
Global Environment Outlookin 1995to assess environmental issues and to have them published. The first report was published in 1999.
As well as some of the more well known issues the report identified new threats such as:
* nitrogen's harmful impact on ecosystems
* increased severity of natural disasters
* species invasion as a result of globalization
* increased environmental pressures caused by urbanization
* decline in the quality of governance in some countries
* new wars which impact on both the immediate environment and neighbouring states
* the impact of refugees on the natural environment
* [http://www.grida.no/geo2000/ UNEP] - official GEO-2000 portal
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.