- Amit Goswami
Amit Goswami is a theoretical nuclear
physicistand member of The University of OregonInstitute for Theoretical Physics since 1968, teaching physicsfor 32 years. After a period of distress and frustration in his private and professional life starting at the age 38, his research interests shifted to quantum cosmology, quantum measurementtheory, and applications of quantum mechanics to the mind-body problem. He became best known as one of the interviewed scientists featured in the 2004film " What the Bleep Do We Know!?". Goswami is also featured in the recent documentary about the Dalai Lama entitled Dalai Lama Renaissance, and stars in the upcoming documentary "The Quantum Activist".
India, Goswami received his Ph.D. from the University of Calcuttain physics in 1964, from where he moved to the United States early in his career. Fully retired as a faculty since 2003, he is now engaged in far reaching national and international speaking engagements. He teaches fairly regularly at the Ernest Holmes Institute, the Philosophical Research University in L.A.; Pacifica in Santa Barbara, CA; and UNIPAZ in Portugal, and is a member of the advisory board of the Institute of Noetic Sciences, where he was a senior scholarin residence during 1998 to 2000.
cience and spirituality
In the late 1980s Goswami developed an
idealist interpretation of quantum mechanics, inspired in part by philosophical ideas drawn from Advaita Vedantaand theosophy. Calling his theory " monistic idealism", he claims it is not only "the basis of all religions worldwide" but also the correct philosophyfor modern science. In contrast to materialistic conventional science, he claims that universal consciousness, not matter, is the ground of all existence, in congruence with mystic sages. Consciousness, deemed as the precursor of physicality, arises from conscious observation through a process intimately connected to wavefunction collapsein a quantum measurement. Once the assumption that there is an objective reality independent of consciousness is put aside, the paradoxes of quantum physics are explainable, according to Goswami. [The Online Bulletin ofSCIENCE WITHIN CONCIOUSNESS, Volume 1, No 2; "Can Science And Spirituality Be Reconciled?" by Amit Goswami, Fall 1996 [http://www.garsett.com/complete/goswami/goswamirelscien.htm] ]
As a pioneer of a self-styled multidisciplinary scientific paradigm, he refers to himself as a "quantum
activist" engulfing in research on the "Science within consciousness", which comprises and explains the " downward causation" and the up-wards drift in the fields of physics, biology, and psychologyand more recently the healingarts, thus resulting in varied theories of integral medicine based on five interchanging levels of existence: the physical, the vital, the mental, the supra-mental intellectand the limitless bliss state. ["The Quantum Doctor Is Here!" DANBO Geophysics (2006)] ["Healing Journeys" Suzie Daggett interview A. Goswami [http://www.insightdirectory.com/hj-articles15.htm] ]
Goswami is the author of twelve books, including a well regarded and used university textbook on
quantum mechanics, and a series of popular works relating to physics and spiritualitysuch as "Quantum Creativity", "Physics of the Soul", "The Quantum Doctor", "The Visionary Window", "God is Not Dead", and his latest "Creative Evolution". His book "The Self-Aware Universe" is a popularized account of this approach to understanding quantum physicsand consciousness, wherein he applies his hypothesis to the mind-body schism stating: "The Universe is self-aware through us."
Goswami is in favor of
lucid dreaming, which simultaneously allows to adopt the equipotency of the waking and the dreaming state and precipitates creativity. This skill, so he claims, has provided him instantaneous insights regarding superconductivityin regard to the structure of the atomic nuclei. Following this he discovered the self-owned illusionthat mind and brain are identical. ["A Chat with Dr. Amit Goswami" By Lucy Gillis, Dreaming Lucid Exchange (LDE) (2005) [http://www.dreaminglucid.com/articlegoswami.html] ] Rather tabooed and rarefied topics like death, reincarnationand immortalitydrew Goswami's interest of research. ["Death and the Quantum: A New Science of Survival and Reincarnation" »Online Bulletin of SCIENCE WITHIN CONCIOUSNESS« by Amit Goswami (1995) [http://www.garsett.com/complete/goswami/goswamideath.html] ]
Quotations by Amit Goswami
* "Consciousness is the ground of all being."On life changing impulses
* "Then I had a dream that felt like an admonition to me. I heard it so clearly: 'The Tibetan Book of the Dead is correct. It's your job to prove it!' […] One of those [big dreams] can change your life."On science
paradigmers […] will take a long time to change."
* "We have to introduce consciousness into science, but to do this consciousness must have some structure to manifest itself. That structure requires mind, vital energies, supra-mentality,
soulin other words." [Interview with Amit Goswami by Conny Hill, New Connexion, September 2002 [http://www.newconnexion.net/article/09-02/goswami.html] ] On mystics and scientists
* "Mystics, contrary to religionists, are always saying that reality is not two things -God and the world- but one thing, consciousness. […] The problem with science has always been that most scientists believe that science must be done within a different monistic framework, one based on the primacy of matter. […] quantum physics showed us that we must change that myopic prejudice of scientists, otherwise we cannot comprehend quantum physics. So now we have science within consciousness, a new paradigm of science based on the primacy of consciousness that is gradually replacing the old materialist science. […] the new paradigm resolves many […] paradoxes of the old paradigm and explains much anomalous data." ["Healing Journeys" Suzie Daggett interview A. Goswami [http://www.insightdirectory.com/hj-articles15.htm] ]
Consciousness causes collapse
*"The Cosmic Dancers: Exploring the Physics of Science Fiction", with Maggie Goswami, Harper and Row, 1983, hardcover, ISBN 0-06-015083-1
*"The Self-Aware Universe", Tarcher, 1995 reprint, softcover, ISBN 0-87477-798-4
*"The Visionary Window: A Quantum Physicist's Guide to Enlightenment", with
Deepak Chopra, Quest Books, 2000, hardback, ISBN 0-8356-0793-3
*"Physics of the Soul: The Quantum Book of Living, Dying, Reincarnation and Immortality", Hampton Roads Publishing, 2001, softcover, ISBN 1-57174-332-4
*"Quantum Mechanics", Waveland Press, 2nd edition, 2003, hardback, ISBN 1-57766-321-7, (intermediate to graduate level textbook)
*"The Quantum Doctor: A Physicist's Guide to Health and Healing", Hampton Roads Publishing, 2004, softcover, ISBN 1-57174-417-7
*"God Is Not Dead: What Quantum Physics Tells Us about Our Origins and How We Should Live", Hampton Roads Publishing, 2008, softcover, ISBN 1-57174-563-7
*"Creative Evolution: A Physicist's Resolution Between Darwinism and Intelligent Design", Quest Books, 2008, softcover, ISBN 0-8356-0858-1
* List of articles and essays by Amit Goswami [List of articles and essays by Amit Goswami [http://go.webassistant.com/multiple/upload/users/u1000001/sites/spirit/page_006.lhtml] ]
References in print
* [http://www.amitgoswami.org Official Website]
* [http://www.quantumactivist.com The Quantum Activist - Documentary Film]
* [http://www.uoregon.edu/~its/ Institute for Theoretical Physics]
* [http://www.iam-spirit.com/articles/article/2925041/43156.htm "Is Consciousness Quantum?"] Article discussing Goswami's ideas in a metaphysical context
* [http://www.wie.org/j11/goswami.asp "Scientific Proof of the Existence of God"] Interview with Amit Goswami by Craig Hamilton, "What is Enlightenment", issue 11
* [http://www.beyondtheordinary.net/amitgoswami.shtml "Beyond the Ordinary"] Webradio-Interviews with A. Goswami (2004)
* [http://shiftinaction.com/discover/luminaries/amit_goswami Amit Goswami MP3 audio] "Shift in Action", sponsored by Institute of Noetic Sciences
* [http://www.csicop.org/si/9701/quantum-quackery.html Quantum Quackery] by
Victor J. Stenger, " Skeptical Inquirer"
* [http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=13&articleID=0006F4CB-F090-11BE-AD0683414B7F0000 Quantum Quackery] by
Michael Shermer, " Scientific American"
* [http://polyticks.com/psi/novella.htm Quantum Confusion: Does Modern Physics Support the Psychics?] by Robert Novella, "The Connecticut Skeptic" Vol. 2 Issue 3 (Summer '97) pg 3
* [http://www.peterblloyd.org/essays/goswami.htm Discussion of Amit Goswami's Science Within Consciousness] by the idealist Peter B. Lloyd
* [http://www.integralworld.net/index.html?de/kw_online_de.html Critic of Goswami's philosophy from the viewpoint of Integral Thought] by Ken Wilber (in German)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Amit Goswami — (gebürtiger Inder aus einer Brahmanen Familie, * 4. November 1936) ist ein indisch amerikanischer Physiker. Er war Professor am Institut of Theoretical Science der University of Oregon. Er hat zahlreiche wissenschaftliche Arbeiten verfasst und… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Goswami — (Devanagari गोस्वामी IAST|goswāmī IAST) (pronounced IPAEng|ɡɔʃʍæːɱɨ)) is a title often bestowed on people who choose the path of Sannyasa. The sanyasins or disciples of Adi Shankaracharya are also called Dash Nam , as the title Goswami is further … Wikipedia
Goswami — ist ein Familienname, der von Hindus jeder Kaste getragen werden kann. Außerdem kann damit eine einzelne Person der brahmanischen Kaste bezeichnet werden. Verschiedene bekannte Personen tragen diesen Namen: Amit Goswami, indischer Physiker und… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Amit — Infobox Given Name Revised name = Amit imagesize= caption= pronunciation= gender = Male meaning = region = origin = related names = footnotes = Amit is a common male name. It is common in India, Nepal, Pakistan, Iran, Asia, Middle East, and… … Wikipedia
Monistic idealism — is a metaphysical theory which states that consciousness, not matter, is the ground of all being. It is a monistic theory because it holds that there is only one type of thing in the universe, and a form of idealism because it holds that one… … Wikipedia
Idealism — The 20th century British scientist Sir James Jeans wrote that the Universe begins to look more like a great thought than like a great machine This article is about the philosophical notion of idealism. For other uses, see Idealism… … Wikipedia
Rupert Sheldrake — Born 28 June 1942 (1942 06 28) (age 69) Newark on Trent, Nottinghamshire Education … Wikipedia
What the Bleep Do We Know!? — ] In the Publishers Weekly article, publicist Linda Rienecker of New Page Books says that she sees the film s success as part of a wider phenomenon, stating A large part of the population is seeking spiritual connections, and they have the whole… … Wikipedia
Morphic field — is a term introduced by British biologist Rupert Sheldrake, the major proponent of this concept, through his Hypothesis of Formative Causation in the early 1980s. It is described as consisting of patterns that govern the development of forms,… … Wikipedia
Quantum mysticism — Claims Quantum mechanics can be interpreted according to paranormal, spiritual, or mystical ideas Related scientific disciplines Physics, Psychology Year proposed ca. 1920 Original proponents Niels Bohr, Arthur Eddington … Wikipedia