- Flavobacterium columnare
Flavobacterium columnare Scientific classification Kingdom: Bacteria Phylum: Bacteroidetes Class: Flavobacteria Order: Flavobacteriales Family: Flavobacteriaceae Genus: Flavobacterium Species: F. columnare Binomial name Flavobacterium columnare
The species was first described by Davis (1922), and the name was validated by Bernardet and Grimont (1989).
F. columnare can be identified in the laboratory by a five-step method that demonstrates:
- the ability to grow on a medium containing neomycin and polymyxin B;
- production of yellow pigmented rhizoid (root-like in appearance) colonies;
- production of a gelatin-degrading enzyme;
- binding of Congo red dye to the colony; and
- production of a chondroitin sulfate-degrading enzyme.
The species has been known previously as Flexibacter columnaris, Bacillus columnaris, and Cytophaga columnaris.
F. columnare is one of the oldest known diseases among warm water fish, and manifests itself as an infection commonly known as Columnaris. Infections are the second leading cause of mortality in pond raised catfish in the southeastern United States.
- ^ Bertolini, J. M.; Rohovec, J.S. (1992). "Electrophoretic detection of proteases from different Flexibacter columnaris strains and assessment of their variability". Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 12: 121–128. doi:10.3354/dao012121.
- ^ a b Durborrow, R. M., Thune, R. L., Hawke, J. P., and Camus, A. C. (1988), 'Columnaris Disease - A Bacterial Infection Caused by Flavobacterium columnare', SRAC Publication, No. 479.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Flavobacterium columnare — a species that prefers warm water and causes columnaris disease in fish. Called also Cytophaga columnaris and Flexibacter columnaris … Medical dictionary
Flavobacterium — Systematik Domäne: Bakterien (Bacteria) Abteilung: Bacteroidetes Klasse: Flavobacteria Ordnung: Flavobacteriales … Deutsch Wikipedia
Flavobacterium — Taxobox name = Flavobacterium regnum = Bacteria phylum = Bacteroidetes classis = Flavobacteria ordo = Flavobacteriaceae familia = Flavobacteriaceae genus = Flavobacterium genus authority = Bergey, et al . 1923 subdivision ranks = Species… … Wikipedia
Flavobacterium — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda ? Flavobacterium Clasificación científica Reino: Bacteria Filo … Wikipedia Español
Cytophaga columnaris — Flavobacterium columnare … Medical dictionary
Flexibacter columnaris — Flavobacterium columnare … Medical dictionary
Columnaris — in a Chinook salmon Columnaris is a symptom of disease in fish which results from an infection caused by the gram negative, aerobic, rod shaped bacterium Flavobacterium columnare. It was previously known by the names of bacillus columnaris,… … Wikipedia
Lost River sucker — Conservation status Endangered ( … Wikipedia
Plankton — For other uses, see Plankton (disambiguation). Photomontage of planktonic organisms Plankton (singular plankter) are any drifting organisms (plants … Wikipedia
Flagellum — For the insect anatomical structure, see Antenna (biology). For the flagella of male Solifugae, see Solifugae. Flagella Code TH H1.00.01.1.01032 A flagellum ( … Wikipedia