- Complex geodesic
Let (X, || ||) be a complex Banach space and let B be the open unit ball in X. Let Δ denote the open unit disc in the complex plane C, thought of as the Poincaré disc model for 2-dimensional real/1-dimensional complex hyperbolic geometry. Let the Poincaré metric ρ on Δ be given by
for all points w and z in Δ.
Properties and examples of complex geodesics
- Given u ∈ X with ||u|| = 1, the map f : Δ → B given by f(z) = zu is a complex geodesic.
- Geodesics can be reparametrized: if f is a complex geodesic and g ∈ Aut(Δ) is a bi-holomorphic automorphism of the disc Δ, then f o g is also a complex geodesic. In fact, any complex geodesic f1 with the same image as f (i.e., f1(Δ) = f(Δ)) arises as such a reparametrization of f.
- d(f(0),f(z)) = ρ(0,z)
- for some z ≠ 0, then f is a complex geodesic.
- α(f(0),f'(0)) = 1,
- where α denotes the Caratheodory length of a tangent vector, then f is a complex geodesic.
- Earle, Clifford J. and Harris, Lawrence A. and Hubbard, John H. and Mitra, Sudeb (2003). "Schwarz's lemma and the Kobayashi and Carathéodory pseudometrics on complex Banach manifolds". In Komori, Y., Markovic, V. and Series, C. (eds). Kleinian groups and hyperbolic 3-manifolds (Warwick, 2001). London Math. Soc. Lecture Note Ser. 299. Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press. pp. 363–384.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Geodesic — [ great circle arcs.] In mathematics, a geodesic IPA|/ˌdʒiəˈdɛsɪk, ˈdisɪk/ [jee uh des ik, dee sik] is a generalization of the notion of a straight line to curved spaces . In presence of a metric, geodesics are defined to be (locally) the… … Wikipedia
Complex projective space — The Riemann sphere, the one dimensional complex projective space, i.e. the complex projective line. In mathematics, complex projective space is the projective space with respect to the field of complex numbers. By analogy, whereas the points of a … Wikipedia
Geodesic dome — Spaceship Earth at Epcot, Walt Disney World, a geodesic sphere A geodesic dome is a spherical or partial spherical shell structure or lattice shell based on a network of great circles (geodesics) on the surface of a sphere. The geodesics… … Wikipedia
Geodesic grid — A geodesic grid is a technique used to model the surface of a sphere (the Earth) with a subdivided polyhedron, usually an icosahedron.IntroductionWhen modeling the weather, ocean circulation, or the climate, partial differential equations are… … Wikipedia
ASM Headquarters and Geodesic Dome — U.S. National Register of Historic Places … Wikipedia
French Geodesic Mission — The French Geodesic Mission (also called the Geodesic Mission to Peru, First Geodesic Mission and the Spanish French Geodesic Mission) was an 18th century expedition to Ecuador carried out for the purpose of measuring the roundness of the Earth… … Wikipedia
List of mathematics articles (C) — NOTOC C C closed subgroup C minimal theory C normal subgroup C number C semiring C space C symmetry C* algebra C0 semigroup CA group Cabal (set theory) Cabibbo Kobayashi Maskawa matrix Cabinet projection Cable knot Cabri Geometry Cabtaxi number… … Wikipedia
History of geography — This article explores the history of geography.Ancient geographyAncient Greeks environment influenced on the ways people met their needs and the way their culture develops.The ancient Greeks saw the poet Homer as the founder of geography. His… … Wikipedia
Geography in medieval Islam — Islamic geography includes the advancement of geography, cartography and earth sciences under various Islamic civilizations. During the medieval ages, Islamic geography was driven by a number of factors: the Islamic Golden Age, parallel… … Wikipedia
Geography — (from Greek γεωγραφία geografia ) is the study of the Earth and its lands, features, inhabitants, and phenomena. [cite web |title=Geography |work=The American Heritage Dictionary/ of the English Language, Fourth Edition |publisher=Houghton… … Wikipedia