- Myponga Reservoir
Myponga Reservoir Location South Australia Coordinates Coordinates: Lake type reservoir Catchment area Myponga River Basin countries Australia Surface area 2.8 km² Water volume 26,800 megalitres (maximum capacity)
The Myponga Reservoir is a reservoir in South Australia, located about 60 km south of Adelaide near the town of Myponga. The reservoir is fed by the Myponga River and other rivers in the Myponga catchment. It provides about 5% of the City of Adelaide's water supply and is the main source of filtered water for southern metropolitan Adelaide and the southern coast area. Plans to utilise the Myponga River catchment as a major storage area were made in 1945. Construction began in 1957 and was completed in 1962, flooding what was from 1840 known as "Lovely Valley". Prior to the construction of the Myponga Water Treatment Plant in 1993, water from Myponga was used to supplement that of Happy Valley Reservoir.
The reservoir was searched for the bodies of the Beaumont children, Joanne Ratcliffe, and Kirsty Gordon in early 1990, based on evidence against Bevan Spencer von Einem delivered by "Mr. B", a witness. No remains were found there.
- Capacity: 26,800 megalitres
- Length of wall: 226m
- Height of wall: 49m
- Type of wall: Concrete arch
- Area of water spread: 2.8 km²
- ^ "The Myponga River Catchment" (PDF). Department of Environment and Heritage, Government of South Australia. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. http://web.archive.org/web/20070927202909/http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/epa/myponga/Chapter2.pdf. Retrieved 2 June 2007.
- ^ "PROGRESS OF THE COLONY-FIRST SIX MONTHS OF 1840.". South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900) (Adelaide, SA: National Library of Australia): p. 4. 4 July 1840. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article27441591. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
- ^ "Water Storage (Reservoirs): Myponga Reservoir". SA Water. http://www.sawater.com.au/SAWater/Education/OurWaterSystems/Water+Storage+%28Reservoirs%29.htm. Retrieved 2 June 2007.
- ^ "The Beaumont Children: Myponga Reservoir". http://www.beaumontchildren.com/beaumontFalseLeadsMyponga.html. Retrieved 4 January 2008.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Myponga Reservoir — Bild der Staumauer … Deutsch Wikipedia
Myponga, South Australia — … Wikipedia
List of dams and reservoirs in Australia — Dams and reservoirs in Australia is a link page for any dam or reservoir in Australia. Contents 1 Australian Capital Territory 2 New South Wales 2.1 Cancelled 2.2 Weir … Wikipedia
List of reservoirs and dams in Australia — Reservoirs and dams in Australia is a link page for any reservoir or dam in Australia.Australian Capital Territory* Scrivener Dam / Lake Burley Griffin, Canberra * Bendora Dam * Corin Dam * Cotter Dam =New South Wales [ cite web |format = jpg |… … Wikipedia
Timeline of Adelaide history — This is a timeline of Adelaide history. Prior to 1800s *The Kaurna peoples traditional lands lie in and around the Adelaide Plains. *Their traditional way of life was destroyed within twenty years of European settlement. 1800s 1830s * 1836: The… … Wikipedia
Adelaide — For other uses, see Adelaide (disambiguation). Adelaide South Australia Aerial view of Adelaide city centre in 2005 … Wikipedia
Protected areas of South Australia — South Australia contains 324 separate Protected Areas with a total land area of 216,310 km² (21.97% of the state’s area). Eighteen of these areas are National parks, totalling 43,374 km² (4.41% of the state’s area). Contents 1 Protected … Wikipedia