First Presbyterian Church of Golden and Unger House


First Presbyterian Church of Golden and Unger House

Infobox nrhp
name = First Presbyterian Church and Manse
nrhp_type =


caption =
location = 809 15th Street, Golden, Colorado
nearest_city =
lat_degrees =
lat_minutes =
lat_seconds =
lat_direction =
long_degrees =
long_minutes =
long_seconds =
long_direction =
area =
built = 1872 (church), 1892 (manse)
architect = James H. Gow (1898 renovation)
architecture = Gothic Revival
added = March 14, 1991
visitation_num =
visitation_year =
refnum =
mpsub =
governing_body =

Infobox nrhp
name = Unger House
nrhp_type =


caption =
location = 1510 Washington Avenue, Golden, Colorado
nearest_city =
lat_degrees =
lat_minutes =
lat_seconds =
lat_direction =
long_degrees =
long_minutes =
long_seconds =
long_direction =
area =
built = 1899
architect = Perre O. Unger
architecture = Edwardian
added = March 14, 1991
visitation_num =
visitation_year =
refnum =
mpsub =
governing_body =

Golden, Colorado's historic First Presbyterian Church, adjoining Manse and accompanying Unger House are all part of a complex best known as the Foothills Art Center. They were each designated to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991, and are the most prominent landmarks of Golden's Court House Hill neighborhood.

First Presbyterian Church & Manse

The main building of the Foothills complex, the historic First Presbyterian Church was originally built in 1872 as the southeasterly portion of the present building. Originally is was a small east-west oriented chapel with Gothic stained glass windows and brick buttresses, for the congregation founded in 1870 by the famed circuit riding minister Sheldon Jackson. The church was built on land donated by William A.H. Loveland. In 1898 the growing congregation hired prominent area architect James H. Gow to redesign and add onto the building, which transformed it into a roughly cross-shaped chapel with northeast corner bell tower, with smooth new facing brick enabling the whole to match. The place continued serving as the First Presbyterian Church until the congregation outgrew this space and moved to south Golden in 1958. The fledgling Jefferson Unitarian Church, led by C. Leon Hopper, then took over the church building, and worshipped here for 10 years until moving to their own home east of Golden in Applewood in 1968. By that time, Golden sidewalk art sales were calling attention to the need for an area art center of its own, which led to the creation of the Foothills Art Center, which took over the already artistic space. It has since become one of the renowned art exhibition places of Colorado.

The Manse of the complex is the northeast wing of the Foothills gallery complex. It was built freestanding in 1892 as the home for the presiding ministers of the First Presbyterian Church. It is a Queen Anne-styled home with upper story fishscale siding and onion dome tower. Through additions added in 1898, 1920 and 1947 the main church was linked to this building. It now serves as the main entrance to the Foothills Art Center.

Unger House

The Unger House, also historically known as the Rubey House, is a brick house which stands south of the First Presbyterian Church building on Washington Avenue. It was originally designed and built in 1899 by prominent Golden builder Perre O. Unger. It is Edwardian style, featuring a northeast corner tower and ornamental front porch. Built as a speculation, it was sold in 1900 to banker Jesse W. Rubey as a home for family matriarch Ella M. Rubey. Around 1990 the home was purchased by the Foothills Art Center and now serves as their gift shop.


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • First Presbyterian Church — (and variations such as Old First Presbyterian Church or First Presbyterian Church and Rectory) may refer to: Contents 1 Canada 2 United States 2.1 …   Wikipedia

  • Golden (Colorado) — Golden Washington Street in Golden Lage in Colorado …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • National Register of Historic Places listings in Jefferson County, Colorado — Location of Jefferson County in Colorado This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Jefferson County, Colorado. It is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic… …   Wikipedia

  • Baptism — This article is about the Christian religious ceremony. For other uses, see Baptism (disambiguation). Baptism of Neophytes by Masaccio, 15th century, Brancacci Chapel, Florence.[ …   Wikipedia

  • Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika — Neue Welt (umgangssprachlich); Staaten (umgangssprachlich); Vereinigte Staaten; Amiland (derb); USA; Amerika * * * Ver|ei|nig|te Staa|ten von Ame|ri|ka <Pl.>: Staat in Nordamerika (Abk.: USA). * * * …   Universal-Lexikon


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.