- How Long, Not Long
"How Long, Not Long" is the popular name given to the public speech delivered by Dr.
Martin Luther King, Jr., on the steps of the State Capitol Building in Montgomery, Alabama, after the successful completion of the Selma to Montgomery March on March 25, 1965. The speech is also sometimes referred to as "Our God Is Marching On!"
* "Last Sunday, more than eight thousand of us started on a mighty walk from Selma, Alabama. We have walked through desolate valleys and across the trying hills. We have walked on meandering highways and rested our bodies on rocky byways. Some of our faces are burned from the outpourings of the sweltering sun. Some have literally slept in the mud. We have been drenched by the rains. [Audience:] (Speak) Our bodies are tired and our feet are somewhat sore."
* "Now it is not an accident that one of the great marches of American history should terminate in Montgomery, Alabama. (Yes, sir) Just ten years ago, in this very city, a new philosophy was born of the Negro struggle. Montgomery was the first city in the South in which the entire Negro community united and squarely faced its age-old oppressors. (Yes, sir. Well)"
* "They told us we wouldn't get here. And there were those who said that we would get here only over their dead bodies, (Well. Yes, sir. Talk) but all the world today knows that we are here and we are standing before the forces of power in the state of Alabama saying, "We ain't goin' let nobody turn us around." (Yes, sir. Speak) [Applause] "
* "Once more the method of nonviolent resistance (Yes) was unsheathed from its scabbard, and once again an entire community was mobilized to confront the adversary. (Yes, sir) And again the brutality of a dying order shrieks across the land. Yet, Selma, Alabama, became a shining moment in the conscience of man. If the worst in American life lurked in its dark street, the best of American instincts arose passionately from across the nation to overcome it."
* "The battle is in our hands. And we can answer with creative nonviolence the call to higher ground to which the new directions of our struggle summons us. (Yes, sir) The road ahead is not altogether a smooth one. (No) There are no broad highways that lead us easily and inevitably to quick solutions. But we must keep going."
* "Our aim must never be to defeat or humiliate the white man, but to win his friendship and understanding. We must come to see that the end we seek is a society at peace with itself, a society that can live with its conscience. And that will be a day not of the white man, not of the black man. That will be the day of man as man. (Yes)"
* "I know you are asking today, "How long will it take?" (Speak, sir) Somebody's asking, "How long will prejudice blind the visions of men, darken their understanding, and drive bright-eyed wisdom from her sacred throne?" Somebody's asking, "When will wounded justice, lying prostrate on the streets of Selma and Birmingham and communities all over the South, be lifted from this dust of shame to reign supreme among the children of men?" Somebody's asking, "When will the radiant star of hope be plunged against the nocturnal bosom of this lonely night, (Speak, speak, speak) plucked from weary souls with chains of fear and the manacles of death? How long will justice be crucified, (Speak) and truth bear it?" (Yes, sir) I come to say to you this afternoon, however difficult the moment, (Yes, sir) however frustrating the hour, it will not be long, (No sir) because "truth crushed to earth will rise again." (Yes, sir) How long? Not long, (Yes, sir) because "no lie can live forever." (Yes, sir) How long? Not long, (All right. How long) because "you shall reap what you sow." (Yes, sir)"
* [http://www.historicaldocuments.com/MartinLutherKingOurGodIsMarchingOn.htm Our God Is Marching On!] complete text from HistoricalDocuments.com
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
How Long Is the Coast of Britain? Statistical Self-Similarity and Fractional Dimension — is a paper by mathematician Benoît Mandelbrot, first published in Science in 1967. In this paper Mandelbrot discusses self similar curves that have Hausdorff dimension between 1 and 2. These curves are examples of fractals , although Mandelbrot… … Wikipedia
how long is a piece of string? — british spoken phrase used for saying that it is impossible to answer a question about how big something is or how much time something will take ‘How long does it take for a claim to be processed?’ ‘How long is a piece of string?’ Thesaurus: ways … Useful english dictionary
how long is a piece of string — see ↑string, 1 • • • Main Entry: ↑long how long is a piece of string Brit informal used as a reply to a question when the answer is not known “How long will you be staying?” “How long is a piece of string?” • • • Main Entry: ↑ … Useful english dictionary
How Long's a Tear Take to Dry? — Infobox Single Name = How Long s A Tear Take To Dry? Artist = The Beautiful South from Album = Quench Released = 1999(UK) Format = CD single Recorded = Genre = Rock Length = 3:20 Label = Producer = Chart position = 12UK Reviews = Last single =… … Wikipedia
How Long (J. D. Souther song) — Infobox Single Name = How Long Cover size = 250 Caption = Artist = Eagles Album = Long Road out of Eden Released = August 20, 2007 (U. S.) Format = CD single Recorded = Genre = soft rock, country rock Length = 3:15 Label = Lost Highway Writer = J … Wikipedia
How Long (Hinder song) — Infobox Single Name = How Long Artist = Hinder from Album = Extreme Behavior Released = September 2006 Format = Digital download Recorded = 2005 Genre = Hard rock Length = 3:24 Label = Universal Writer = Producer = Chart position = * #6 (US… … Wikipedia
no matter how long a log stays in the water, it doesn’t become a crocodile — Proverb of the Bambara people of Mali, meaning that essential characteristics do not change because of external circumstances. Versions exist in several West and Central African languages. 1976 K. M. AITHNARD Some Aspects of Cultural Policy in… … Proverbs new dictionary
Long-term potentiation — (LTP) is a persistent increase in synaptic strength following high frequency stimulation of a chemical synapse. Studies of LTP are often carried out in slices of the hippocampus, an important organ for learning and memory. In such studies,… … Wikipedia
Not Ready to Make Nice — Single by Dixie Chicks from the album Taking the Long Way … Wikipedia
Long Road Out of Eden — Studio album by Eagles Released October 30, 2007 … Wikipedia