- This article is about the dynasty. There is also a Kurdish tribal federation by the name of Mihrani
The dynasty was founded when certain Mihran, a distant relative of Sasanids, settled in the region of Gardman in Utik. He was probably a member of a branch of the Mihranid family which was listed among the Seven Great Houses of Iran, and whose two other lines ruled Iberia (Chosroid Dynasty) and Gogarene. Mihran's family came to power, when Mihran's great-grandson killed almost all the members of the previous ruling dynasty – "the Eṙanšahiks, the ancient native Armenian (haykazean [original emphasis]) family....Sparing only Zarmihr Eṙanšahik."
The most prominent representatives of the family in the 7th century were Varaz-Grigor, his son Javanshir, and Varaz-Trdat I. Mihranids assumed a Persian title of Arranshahs (i.e. shahs of Arran, Persian name of Albania). The family's rule came to an end after the assassination of Varaz-Trdat II by Nerseh Pilippean in 822-23.
- ^ a b Encyclopedia Iranica. C. E. Bosworth. Arran
- ^ Encyclopedia Iranica. M. L. Chaumont. Albania.
- ^ Toumanoff, Cyril. Chronology of the Early Kings of Iberia. Traditio 25 (1969), p. 22.
- ^ Movses Kaghankatvatsi. The History of the Caucasian Albanians by Movses Dasxuranci. Translated by Charles Dowsett. London: Oxford University Press, 1961, Book II, chapter XVII, pp. 108-109.
- ^ (Russian) Movses Kaghankatvatsi. History of Aghvank. Book III, chapter XX. About the events that happened in the borders of Aghvank from the beginning of Armenian Era.
- ^ (Russian) Movses Kaghankatvatsi. History of Aghvank. Book III, chapter XXIII. Brief repetition of the Pedigrees.
- ^ Minorsky, Vladimir. Caucasica IV. Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, Vol. 15, No. 3. (1953), pp. 504-529.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of Iranic states and empires — The following is a list of Iranic states and empires. It includes both states and empires founded by the Iranian peoples and those that have been heavily affected by Iranian civilization or culture .Modern nations;Afghanistan;Iran;Tajikistan =De… … Wikipedia
Гасан-Джалаляны (династия) — Царский флаг Княжества Хачен (Арцахского Царства) в период правления Великого Князя Гасана Джалала Вахтангяна (1214 1261) Гасан Джалаляны (арм.Հասան Ջալալյաններ) армянский княжеский род … Википедия
Гасан-Джалаляны — Армянские царские династии и княжеские роды Царские династии Ервандиды Арташесиды Аршакиды Багратиды Рубениды Хетумиды … Википедия
Arran — (PerB|آران), also known as Aran, Ardhan (in Parthian), Al Ran (in Arabic), Aghvank and Alvank (in Armenian), Ran i (in Georgian) or Caucasian Albania (in Latin), was a geographical name used in ancient and medieval times to signify the territory… … Wikipedia
Gardman — (in Armenian: Գարդման) was an old region of the province of Utik in the Kingdom of Armenia and Caucasian Albania. [Ulubabyan, Bagrat. Gardman (Գարդման). Armenian Soviet Encyclopedia. Yerevan: Armenian SSR, vol. iii, 1977, 700] [… … Wikipedia
History of Nagorno-Karabakh — Ancient history The region of Nagorno Karabakh (ancient name, Artsakh, Արծախ) falls within the lands occupied by peoples known to modern archaeologists as the Kura Araxes culture, who lived between the two rivers bearing those names. Little is… … Wikipedia
House of Mihran — The House of Mihrān was a leading Iranian noble family (šahrdārān), one of the Seven Great Houses of the Sassanid Persian Empire which claimed descent from the earlier Arsacid dynasty. A branch of the family formed the Mihranid line of the… … Wikipedia
Михраниды — Михраниды династия правителей (великие князья) в Кавказской Албании с конца VI по начало VIII вв. Имели иранское (парфянское) происхождение. Михраниды, являвшиеся изначально владетелями области Гардман на западе Кавказской Албании, в… … Википедия