- List of oldest trees
There are three tables of trees, which are listed by age and species. The first table includes trees for which a minimum age has been directly determined, either through counting or cross-referencing tree rings or through radiocarbon dating. Many of these trees may be even older than their listed ages, but the oldest wood in the tree has rotted away. For some old trees, so much of the center is missing that their age cannot be directly determined. Instead, estimates are made based on the tree's size and presumed growth rate. The last table includes trees with these estimated ages. The middle table lists clonal colonies in which no individual tree trunks may be remarkably old but in which the organism as a whole is thought to be very old.
The record-holders for individual, non-clonal trees are Great Basin bristlecone pine trees from California and Nevada, in the United States. Through tree-ring cross-referencing, they have been shown to be almost 5,000 years old.
A clonal colony can survive for much longer than an individual tree. A colony of 47,000 quaking aspen trees (nicknamed "Pando"), covering 106 acres (43 ha) in the Fishlake National Forest of the United States, is considered one of the oldest and largest organisms in the world. The colony has been estimated to be 80,000 years old, although tree ring samples date individual, above-ground, trees at only an average of about 130 years. A colony of Huon pine trees covering 1 hectare (2.5 acres) on Mount Read, Tasmania is estimated to be around 10,000 years old, as determined by DNA samples taken from pollen collected from the sediment of a nearby lake. Individual trees in this group date to no more than 4,000 years old, as determined by tree ring samples.
Individual trees with verified ages
Name Age (years) Species Location Notes Prometheus 4,862 Great Basin bristlecone pine
Wheeler Peak, Nevada, United States Cut down in 1964. Methuselah 4,842 Great Basin bristlecone pine
Inyo County, California, United States Oldest currently living tree. ? 3,622 Patagonian cypress
Alerce Andino National Park, Los Lagos, Chile  CBR26 3,266 Giant sequoia
Sierra Nevada, California, United States  D-21 3,220 Giant sequoia
Sierra Nevada, California, United States  D-23 3,075 Giant sequoia
Sierra Nevada, California, United States  CMC 3 3,033 Giant sequoia
Sierra Nevada, California, United States  Scofield Juniper 2,675 Western Juniper
Sierra Nevada, California, United States Dead. CB-90-11 2,435 Rocky Mountain Bristlecone Pine
central Colorado, United States  Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi 2,217 Sacred fig
Anuradhapura, North Central Province, Sri Lanka A sapling from the historical Bodhi tree under which Buddha became enlightened. It was planted in 288 BC and is the oldest living human-planted tree in the world with a known planting date. ? 2,200 Coast Redwood
northern California, United States  Bennett Juniper 2,200 Western Juniper
Sierra Nevada, California, United States  SHP 7 2,110 Foxtail Pine
Sierra Nevada California, United States  ? 1,917 Subalpine Larch
Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada  CRE 175 1,889 Foxtail Pine
northern New Mexico, United States  Miles Juniper 1,810 Western Juniper
Sierra Nevada, California, United States  ? 1,776 Sugi
Yakushima Island, Japan  ERE 1,670 Limber Pine
northern New Mexico, United States  RCR 1 1,666 Foxtail Pine
Sierra Nevada, California, United States  ? 1,661 Limber Pine
South Park, Colorado, United States  KET 3996 1,659 Limber Pine
Ketchum, Idaho, United States  FL117 1,653 Northern Whitecedar
Ontario, Canada  BBL 2 1,649 Foxtail Pine
Sierra Nevada, California, United States  ? 1,636 Nootka Cypress
Vancouver Island, Canada  BCK 69 1,622 Baldcypress
Bladen County, North Carolina, United States  FL101 1,567 Northern Whitecedar
Ontario, Canada  ? 1,542 Limber Pine
central Colorado, United States 
As with all long-lived plant and fungal species, no individual part of a clonal colony is alive (in the sense of active metabolism) for more than a very small fraction of the life of the entire clone. Some clonal colonies may be fully connected via their root systems, while most are not actually interconnected, but are genetically identical clones which populated an area through vegetative reproduction. Ages for clonal colonies, often based on current growth rates, are estimates.
Name Age (years) Species Location Notes Pando 80,000 - 1,000,000 Quaking aspen
Fishlake National Forest, Utah, United States Covers 107 acres (0.43 km2) and has around 47,000 stems (average age 130 years), which continually die and are renewed by its roots. Is also the heaviest known organism, weighing 6,000 tonnes. Jurupa Oak 13,000 Palmer oak
Jurupa Mountains, California, United States Quercus palmeri Engelm. = Quercus dunnii Kellogg. Old Tjikko 9,550 Norway spruce
Fulufjället National Park, Dalarna, Sweden The tree's stems live no more than 600 years, but its root system's age was established using carbon dating and genetic matching. Elsewhere in the Fulu mountains, 20 spruces have been found older than 8,000 years. Old Rasmus 9,500 Norway spruce
Härjedalen, Sweden  ? 3,000 - 10,000 Huon Pine
Mount Read, Tasmania, Australia Several genetically identical males that have reproduced vegetatively. Although single trees in this stand may be around 3 to 4 thousand years old, the stand itself as a single organism has existed for 10,000 years.
Old trees with estimated ages
Name Age (years) Species Location Notes Llangernyw Yew 4,000 European yew
Llangernyw, Wales, United Kingdom  Sarv-e-Abarkooh 4,000 Mediterranean cypress
Abarkuh, Yazd, Iran Also called 'Zoroastrian Sarv'. Tisbury Yew Tree 4,000 European yew
Tisbury, England, United Kingdom  Senator 3,500 Pond cypress
Longwood, Florida, United States  Alishan Sacred Tree 3,000 Formosan cypress
Alishan National Scenic Area, Chiayi, Taiwan Collapsed on July 1, 1997, following heavy rainstorms. Cormac's Tree 3,000 Olive
Sardinia, Italy  Patriarca da Floresta 3,000 Cariniana legalis Brazil Probably the oldest non-conifer in Brazil. Its name translates as 'Patriarch of the Forest'. Oliveira de Santa Iria de Azóia 2,850 Olea europaea Santa Iria de Azóia, Portugal Magnific Olive tree, probably the last one from a big olive grove. Studied by UTAD University and now classified "Public interest tree" by the Portuguese National Forest Authority ; Tree ID Unnamed 2,850 Oleaceae
Olea europaea L.
Loures, Lisboa, Portugal Alive. Kayano Ōsugi 2,300 Japanese cedar
Yamanaka Onsen, Ishikawa, Japan Girth of 9.6 m. One of the four trees believed to be sacred in the precincts in a Shinto shrine. Its name translates as 'Great sugi of Kayano'. Jōmon Sugi 2,170 - 7,200 Japanese cedar
Yakushima, Japan Girth of 16.4 m. Exact dating is made difficult by the rotten core of the trunk. Its name is a reference to the Jōmon period of Japanese prehistory. Ballyconnell Yew 2,000 - 5,000 European yew
Ballyconnell, Annagh, Ireland Oldest tree in Ireland and possibly in Europe. Fortingall Yew 2,000 - 5,000 European yew
Fortingall, Perthshire, Scotland Εlia Βouybōn 2,000 - 5,000 Olive
Kolymvari, Crete, Greece Oldest olive tree in the world. Its name translates as 'Olive tree of Vouves'. Castagnu dê Centu Cavaddi 2,000 - 4,000 Sweet chestnut
Sicily Its name translates as the 'Hundred Horse Chestnut'. Te Matua Ngahere 2,000 - 3,000 Kauri
Waipoua Forest, Northland, New Zealand Oldest tree in New Zealand. Its name translates as 'Father of the Forest'. Ankerwycke Yew 2,000 - 2,500 european yew
Ankerwyke Island, Berkshire, UK Historians agree this is the most obvious place for the signing of the Magna Carta on June 15 1215  Lady Liberty 2,000 Bald cypress
Longwood, Florida, United States Sometimes called the 'Companion Tree' to 'Senator'. S'khtorashen 2,000 Oriental plane
Shusha, Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan Oldest tree in Azerbaijan. Its trunk is hollow. Also known as 'Sose's Tree'. Stara Maslina 2,000 Olive
Stari Bar, Bar Montenegro The Pechanga Great Oak Tree 2,000 Coast live oak
Temecula, California, United States Oldest oak tree in the United States, possibly in the world. ? 2,000 Olive
Tavira, Algarve, Portugal Oldest tree in Portugal. ? 2,000 Olive
Exo Hora, Zakynthos, Greece  ? 2,000 Yew
Sochi, Krasnodar Krai, Russia A grove known to possess several 2,000-year-old specimens. Granit oak 1,700 Pedunculate oak
Granit, Plovdiv, Bulgaria This is not official; the oldest tree in Bulgaria is officially Baikushev's Pine, listed below. Aubépines 1,500 Common hawthorn
Saint-Mars-sur-la-Futaie, Mayenne, France Oldest tree in France. Kongeegen 1,500 Pedunculate oak
Jægerspris Nordskov, Zealand, Denmark Angel Oak 1,500 Southern live oak
Charleston, South Carolina, United States Seven Sisters Oak 1,500 Southern live oak
Mandeville, Louisiana, United States Stelmužė Oak 1,500 Pedunculate oak
Stelmužė, Zarasai, Lithuania Oldest tree in the Baltic states. Jardine Juniper 1,500 Rocky Mountain juniper
Logan Canyon, Utah, United States  Árbol del Tule 1,433 - 1,600 Montezuma cypress
Santa María del Tule, Oaxaca, Mexico Stoutest tree trunk in the world. Its name translates as the 'Tule Tree'.
- King Clone
- List of largest giant sequoias
- List of trees
- List of long-living organisms
- List of old growth forests
- Veteran tree
- ^ Grant, Michael C. (1993-10-01). "The Trembling Giant". Discover Magazine. http://discovermagazine.com/1993/oct/thetremblinggian285. Retrieved 2008-05-08.
- ^ "Botanical Record-Breakers". W.P Armstrong. http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ww0601.htm#massive. Retrieved 2008-05-07.
- ^ "Quaking Aspen". National Park Service - Bryce Canyon. http://www.nps.gov/brca/naturescience/quakingaspen.htm. Retrieved 2008-05-07.
- ^ "SPECIES: Populus tremuloides". USDA - United States Forest Service. http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/tree/poptre/all.html#BOTANICAL%20AND%20ECOLOGICAL%20CHARACTERISTICS. Retrieved 2008-05-08.
- ^ a b "Native Conifers of Tasmania". Paks and Wildlife Service, Tasmania. http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/veg/pines.html. Retrieved 2008-05-06.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z Rocky Mountain Tree-Ring Research, OLDLIST, access date = July 3 2011
- ^ Suzuki and Tsukahara 1987, access date = August 7 2011
- ^ Gymnosperm Database (2 January 2007). "How Old Is That Tree?". http://www.conifers.org/topics/oldest.htm. Retrieved 2006-07-25.
- ^ Quaking Aspen by the Bryce Canyon National Park Service
- ^ Genetic Variation and the Natural History of Quaking Aspen, Mitton, J. B. & Grant, M. C. (1996). BioScience 46 (1): 25-31.
- ^ Connor, Steve (Science Editor), "At 13,000 years, tree is world's oldest organism", The Independent (newspaper), United Kingdom, December 23, 2009, online article December 22, 2009.
- ^ a b May, Michael R.; Provance, Mitchell C.; Sanders, Andrew C.; Ellstrand, Norman C.; and Ross-Ibarra, Jeffrey, "A Pleistocene Clone of Palmer's Oak Persisting in Southern California", PLoS ONE, Vol. 4, Issue 12, December, 2009.
- ^ "Swedes find 'world's oldest tree'". BBC News. 2008-04-17. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7353357.stm.
- ^ Owen, James (2008-04-14). "Oldest Living Tree Found in Sweden". National Geographic. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/080414-oldest-tree.html.
- ^ "World's oldest living tree discovered in Sweden". Swedish Research Council. 2008-04-16. http://www.idw-online.de/pages/de/news255795.
- ^ Roger Highfield (2008-04-17). "World's oldest tree discovered in Sweden". London: The Daily Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/04/17/eatree117.xml.
- ^ Swedish dn.se
- ^ Oldest Living Tasmanian, The - The Huon Pine
- ^ Tasmanian Huon Pines
- ^ Joanna Billing (2004). "North Wales Coast and the Isle of Anglesey". The Hidden Places of Wales (3rd ed.). Travel Publishing. pp. 45–92. ISBN 9781904434078. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=o8NCt_7hltwC&pg=PT58.
- ^ Encyclopædia Iranica, s.v. 
- ^ Earth watchers Center
- ^ http://www.visitwiltshire.co.uk/salisbury/about-the-area/south-wiltshire-towns-and-villages/tisbury-and-old-wardour-castle
- ^ Scheper, J.. "Florida's Big Tree". Floridata.com. http://www.floridata.com/tracks/TheSenator/page2.htm. Retrieved 2008-05-07.
- ^ Alishan Forest Recreation area has new "tree king"
- ^ Italian isolasardegnanet.it
- ^ http://www.cienciapt.net/pt/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104157&Itemid=302
- ^ Hobson, Jake (2007). Niwaki: Pruning, Training and Shaping Trees the Japanese Way. Timber Press. pp. 86. ISBN 978-0881928358. http://books.google.com/?id=dR9074_8QioC&pg=PA86&dq=%22jomonsugi%22. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- ^ Flora and Fauna Fact Sheet (Web Japan)
- ^ Miyazaki, Makoto. "The old men of the mountains". The Yomiuri Shimbun. http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/columns/0005/lens190.htm. Retrieved 2008-06-15.
- ^ The Olive Tree and Olive Oil Sfakia, Crete, Greece
- ^ Britian's Tree Story page 186
- ^ The oldest olive tree in Europe - Exceptional Trees on Waymarking.com
- ^ the-oldest-olive-tree pictures, videos and albums
- ^ О Кавказе
- ^ Jardine Juniper Trail
Longevity Terminology Issues Records CentenariansLiving · Activists, non-profit leaders, and philanthropists · Actors, filmmakers, and entertainers · Artists · Authors, poets, and journalists · Businessmen · Educators, school administrators, social scientists, and linguists · Explorers · Jurists and practitioners of law · Medical professionals · Military commanders · Musicians, composers, and music patrons · Philosophers and theologians · Politicians and government servants · Religious figures · Royalty and nobility · Scientists and mathematicians · Sportspeople · Miscellaneous SupercentenariansLiving · Deaths by year (before 1980 · 1980s · 1990s · 2000 · 2001 · 2002 · 2003 · 2004 · 2005 · 2006 · 2007 · 2008 · 2009 · 2010 · 2011)
By continent (Europe) By country (Australia · Austria · Belgium · Canada · Denmark · Finland · France · Germany · Italy · Japan · Netherlands · Norway · Portugal · Spain · Sweden · United Kingdom · United States)
War-related lists Non-humanLong-living organisms · List of oldest trees · List of oldest dogs
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of oldest people by year of birth — Below is a list of the verified, to the standards of the Gerontology Research Group, Guinness World Records, or both; of the oldest people by year of birth. The person is usually, but not always, the last survivor by year of birth. (see… … Wikipedia
List of oldest living people by nation — This page supplements the list of oldest people by nation, which itemizes the oldest people ever, by country. This page lists the oldest people currently alive by country. Comprehensive birth registration is largely a 20th century… … Wikipedia
List of oldest people by nation — This is a list of oldest people by nation. It includes the individual(s), for each given country, who are reported to have had the longest lifespan. Such records can only be determined to the extent that the given country s records are reliable.… … Wikipedia
List of long-living organisms — This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it. This is a list of the oldest individual lifeforms. This is usually defined as: Having a longer life span than any other known individual (such as the Methuselah tree) Longevity record holders … Wikipedia
List of supercentenarians from the United States — This is a list of supercentenarians from the United States. According to the GRG, there have been over 500 verified American supercentenarians (people from the United States who have attained the age of 110 or greater.) As of… … Wikipedia
Oldest people — This is a list of tables of the verified oldest people in the world in ordinal rank, such as oldest person or oldest man. In these tables, a supercentenarian is considered verified if his or her claim has been validated by an international body… … Wikipedia
List of French supercentenarians — This is a list of verified French supercentenarians (people from France who have attained the age of at least 110 years). There have been 123 verified supercentenarians from France. The oldest person ever from France was Jeanne Calment, who is … Wikipedia
List of British supercentenarians — This is a list of verified British supercentenarians (people from the United Kingdom who have attained the age of at least 110 years). There have been 118 verified supercentenarians from the United Kingdom. The oldest person ever from the… … Wikipedia
List of Portuguese supercentenarians — This is a list of verified Portuguese supercentenarians (people from Portugal who have attained the age of at least 110 years). There have been 8 verified supercentenarians from Portugal. The oldest person ever from Portugal was Maria de Jesus … Wikipedia
List of Japanese supercentenarians — These are lists of Japanese supercentenarians (people from Japan who have attained the age of at least 110 years), according to the Gerontology Research Group. There have been 217 verified supercentenarians from Japan. As of 15 November, there … Wikipedia