- Women's Learning Partnership for Rights, Development, and Peace
Women's Learning Partnership for Rights,
Development, and Peace(WLP) is an international non-profit, non-governmental organizationthat is dedicated to women's leadershipand empowerment. In cooperation with 18 autonomous partner organizations in the Global South, particularly in Muslim-majority societies, WLP works to empower women to transform their families, communities, and societies. The organization's president is Mahnaz Afkhami.
WLP's primary objective is to increase the number of women taking on leadership and
decision-makingroles at family, community, and national levels, and to improve the effectiveness of feminist social movementsin Muslim-majority societies and globally by strengthening the capacity of our partner organizations.
Since its founding WLP has established a partnership model that allows for a
geometricincrease in the human and material resources available to partner organizations, maximum use of shared learning across regions, and increased impact of collective networking and solidarity capabilities. The Partnership is based on a relationship of intense and continuous communicationand ongoing cooperationin the conception, development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluationof joint programs.
WLP's mission is to advance
communicationand cooperationamong and between the women of the world in order to protect human rights, facilitate sustainable development, and promote peace. WLP links those with access to resources, knowledge, and technologies to those without, and augments the voices and visions of the world's resource-poor majority. WLP believes that dialogue across boundaries of culture, class, gender, generation, and nation is essential for achieving socially equitable and environmentally sound development. To secure a healthy, safe, and democratic environment for all, WLP works to advance gender equity, involve men and boys in promoting gender parity, and facilitate the exchange of grassroots strategies within and across different cultures. By instituting a viable knowledge and learning framework, WLP's programs provide women and girls of the Global South with the technical knowledge and practical skills needed to participate in the global dialogueabout rights, development, and peace.
Management and Administration
WLP’s Board of Directors is made up of a diverse group of leading academics and NGO directors:
* Hafsat Abiola, Founder and Executive Director, Kudirat Initiative for Democracy (Nigeria)
Mahnaz Afkhami, Founder and President, Women’s Learning Partnership (Iran/U.S.)
* Leila Ahmed, Professor of Women’s Studies in Religion, Harvard Divinity School (Egypt/U.S.)
* Zainah Anwar, Executive Director, Sisters In Islam (Malaysia)
* Marian Wright Edelman, Founder and President, Children’s Defense Fund (U.S.)
* Afaf Mahfouz, former President, Conference of Non-governmental Organizations in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations (Egypt)
* Jacqueline Pitanguy, Founder and President, Cidadania, Estudo, Pesquisa, Informaçao, e Açao (Brazil)
* Zenebeworke Tadesse, Founding Member, Association of African Women for Research and Development (Ethiopia)
WLP has an International Advisory Council that includes heads of United Nations agencies, leaders of international organizations, and scholars and activists representing diverse professional, cultural, and religious perspectives. The international experts help WLP analyze the social, cultural, political, and gender implications of its programs and fine-tune them accordingly.
WLP's annual operating budget is $1.5 million USD. The organization has received funding from the
Ford Foundation, OxfamNovib, Canadian International Development Agency, Global Fund for Women, Open Society Institute, United Nations Population Fund(UNFPA), and the Shaler Adams Foundation.
* Training Manuals:
** " [http://www.learningpartnership.org/publications/training/ltc/ltcenglish Leading to Choices:] A Leadership Training Handbook for Women"
** " [http://www.learningpartnership.org/publications/training/ltc/ltcfrench Montrer Le Chemin:] Guide d'Entrainement des Femmes au Leadership"
** " [http://www.learningpartnership.org/publications/training/ltc/ltcrussian Выберем лидерство:] Пособие по проведению тренингов для женщин-лидеров"
** التوصل إلى الخيارات: دليل تعلّم النساء على القيادة
** " [http://www.learningpartnership.org/publications/training/ltc/ltcspanish Liderazgo Para La Toma De Decisiones:] Manual De Entrenamiento En Liderazgo Para Mujeres"
** " [http://www.learningpartnership.org/publications/training/ltc/ltcswahili Uongozi Bora:] Kitabu Cha Mafunzo Ya Uongozi Kwa Wanawake"
** " [http://www.learningpartnership.org/publications/training/ltc/ltcmalay Memimpin Menuju Pilihan:] Buku Panduan Latihan Kepimpinan Wanita"
** درجستجوی حق انتخاب: آموزه های رهبری برای زنان
** " [http://www.learningpartnership.org/publications/training/ltc/ltcportuguese Fomentando a Tomada de Decisões:] Manual de Treinamento para a Liderança das Mulheres"
** " [http://www.learningpartnership.org/publications/training/ltc/ltcshona Zvinotungamira Mukusarudza Zvido Zvemadzimai:] Bhuku Rekushandisa Kaudzidzisa Madzimai Utungamiri"
** " [http://www.learningpartnership.org/publications/training/ltc/ltchausa Jagoranci Zuwa Zabi:] Daftarin Horar Da Mata Akan Jagoranci"
* Documentaries and Multimedia Publications:
** " [http://www.learningpartnership.org/publications/training/ltcmmp Leading to Choices:] A Multimedia Curriculum for Leadership Learning"
** Documentary: " [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq99LUkHBRs Against All Odds:] Women Partnering for Change in a Time of Crisis"
** Documentary: " [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZUoXtmVVr8 Cultural Boundaries & Cyber Spaces: ] Women's Voices on Empowerment, Leadership and Technology"
** CD: " [http://www.learningpartnership.org/publications/multimedia#whr Leading to Change:] Eliminating Violence Against Women in Muslim Societies"
** CD: " [http://www.learningpartnership.org/publications/multimedia#peace Clash or Consensus:] Gender and Human Security in a Globalized World"
** CD: "In the Aftermath of Terror: Women Leaders Discuss Peace, Justice & Conflict Resolution In a Globalized World"
** Radio: "Women e-merging: Stories of Women Using Communication Technologies in Africa and the Middle East"
* Other Publications:
** " [http://www.learningpartnership.org/publications/other Guide to Equality in the Family in the Maghreb] "
** "Toward a Compassionate Society"
Collective for Research and Training on Development-Action
* [http://www.learningpartnership.org/ Women's Learning Partnership for Rights, Development, and Peace official site]
* [http://learningpartnership.org/advocacy/alerts/iranmillionsigns0207 One Million Signatures Campaign for Ending Discriminatory Laws Against Women in Iran]
* [http://www.learningpartnership.org/citizenship/ Claiming Equal Citizenship: The Campaign for Arab Women’s Right to Nationality]
* [http://www.creatinghope.org/afghaninstituteoflearning Afghan Institute of Learning]
* [http://www.cepia.org.br/ Cidadania, Estudo, Pesquisa, Informaçao e Açao ]
* [http://www.learningpartnership.org/partners/cameroon Community Education and Development Services (CEDS)]
* [http://www.learningpartnership.org/partners/egypt Forum for Women in Development (FWID)]
* [http://www.learningpartnership.org/partners/india The Centre for Organisation Research & Education (CORE)]
* [http://www.learningpartnership.org/partners/jordan Sisterhood Is Global Institute/Jordan]
* [http://www.crtda.org Collective for Research & Training on Development-Action (CRTD.A)]
* [http://www.learningpartnership.org/partners/malaysia Women's Development Collective (WDC)]
* [http://www.learningpartnership.org/partners/mauritania L'Association des Femmes Chefs de Famille (AFCF)]
* [http://www.learningpartnership.org/partners/morocco Association Démocratique des Femmes du Maroc (ADFM)]
* [http://www.learningpartnership.org/partners/nicaragua El Centro para la Participación Democrática y el Desarrollo (Cenzontle) and El Fondo para el Desarrollo de la Mujer (Fodem)]
* [http://baobabwomen.org/ BAOBAB for Women's Human Rights]
* [http://www.learningpartnership.org/partners/palestine Women's Affairs Technical Committee (WATC)]
* [http://www.learningpartnership.org/partners/turkey Kadın Emeğini Değerlendirme Vakfı (KEDV) or Foundation for the Support of Women's Work (FSWW)]
* [http://www.learningpartnership.org/partners/zimbabwe Women's Self-Promotion Movement (WSPM)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Women's Institute for Secondary Education and Research (WISER) — Infobox Organization name = WISER image border = size = 100px caption = motto = Live. Learn. Be. formation = 2007 type = NGO status = Foundation purpose = Education, Human Rights headquarters = Muhuru Bay, Kenya region served = Nyanza Province,… … Wikipedia
List of human rights organisations — The list is incomplete; please add known articles or create missing ones The following is a list of articles on the human rights organisations of the world. It does not include political parties, or academic institutions. The list includes both… … Wikipedia
Collective for Research and Training on Development-Action — CRTD.A logo Coordinates: 33°52′42″N 35°30′58 … Wikipedia
HISTORICAL SURVEY: THE STATE AND ITS ANTECEDENTS (1880–2006) — Introduction It took the new Jewish nation about 70 years to emerge as the State of Israel. The immediate stimulus that initiated the modern return to Zion was the disappointment, in the last quarter of the 19th century, of the expectation that… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
National Endowment for Democracy — The National Endowment for Democracy, or NED, is a U.S. non profit organization that was founded in 1983 to promote US friendly democracy by providing cash grants funded primarily through an annual allocation from the U.S. Congress. Although… … Wikipedia
Business and Industry Review — ▪ 1999 Introduction Overview Annual Average Rates of Growth of Manufacturing Output, 1980 97, Table Pattern of Output, 1994 97, Table Index Numbers of Production, Employment, and Productivity in Manufacturing Industries, Table (For Annual… … Universalium
Media and Publishing — ▪ 2007 Introduction The Frankfurt Book Fair enjoyed a record number of exhibitors, and the distribution of free newspapers surged. TV broadcasters experimented with ways of engaging their audience via the Internet; mobile TV grew; magazine… … Universalium
Middle East Partnership Initiative — The Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI) is a U.S. State Department program that supports reform efforts in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Founded in 2002, the program has five stated goals that it pursues in the region: Strengthen … Wikipedia
Projects working for peace among Arabs and Israelis — Sign in front of the Galil school, a joint Arab Jewish primary school in Israel … Wikipedia
Media development — Many organizations engage in efforts to help the development of free and independent media in countries around the world. These efforts can take many forms, from funding the establishment of an entirely new media outlet to assisting an existing… … Wikipedia