- Collision Course (album)
Collision Course EP by Jay-Z and Linkin Park Released November 30, 2004 Recorded July 16—19, 2004 Genre Alternative rock, rap metal, nu metal, rap rock, hip hop Length 21:18 Label Roc-A-Fella, Machine Shop, Warner Bros., Def Jam Producer Mike Shinoda
Linkin Park (exec.)
Shawn Carter (exec.)
Linkin Park non-studio album chronology Live in Texas
Road to Revolution: Live at Milton Keynes
Jay-Z chronology Unfinished Business
Singles from Collision Course
Released: December 13, 2004
Collision Course is a CD/DVD set released on November 30, 2004 by rapper, Jay-Z and rock band Linkin Park. It went to #1 on the Billboard 200 upon its release. As of August 2009, it has sold 1,934,000 copies in the United States alone. It has sold more than 5 million copies worldwide.
The DVD contains behind-the-scenes new footage of the making of the album, as well as the second take of all of the Collision Course songs at The Roxy Theatre on July 18, 2004. Also included are the five scenes from the concert shown on MTV Ultimate Mash-Ups and a picture gallery.
The first single released from the EP, "Numb/Encore", achieved great airplay on the charts, and stayed on 6 months after its release. "Points of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closer" was also released to the radio in the US, but was never featured on the Billboard Charts - the videos for both that track and "Jigga What/Faint" were also seen on Kerrang! TV in the UK. "Izzo/In the End" was also heavily promoted on the official Linkin Park websites.
Background and Production
The network allowed Jay-Z to choose a group or artist for the mash-up. Jay contacted Shinoda, who began experimenting with mixing the tracks before sending some examples to him. As a result, Jay-Z began working with Shinoda through email.
The two decided that instead of combining the existing tracks for the live performance on MTV, they wanted to re-work and re-record parts of the songs to make them fit better. Shinoda explains, "Jay and I realized it's better to re-perform the rap vocals if you're gonna do it to a new beat because the vibe changes and you have to deliver your verse a little differently." Shinoda asked his bandmates to re-record instrumental and vocal tracks as well, and ultimately both parties decided they wanted to release the studio tracks. The entire album was put together within four days.
Sometimes, behind-the-scenes audio can be heard within the album, such as Jay-Z saying "You're wasting your talent, Randy!" before "Big Pimpin'/Papercut", or Shinoda saying "This is fun." before "Izzo/In the End".
Collision Course was the first album of Linkin Park that contained a Parental Advisory sticker, since most of Jay-Z's verses contain profanity (although Shinoda and Chester Bennington are also heard swearing in the album). This album was also made in an edited/censored version. Linkin Park wouldn't use profanities themselves until Minutes to Midnight in 2007.
A year after the release of Collision Course, Jay-Z was the executive producer on Mike Shinoda's solo effort Fort Minor's The Rising Tied. Also, the song "High Road" from the same record talks about how some critics negatively received Collision Course.
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Robert Christgau  Entertainment Weekly (C-) The Guardian  HipHopDX  NME (3/10) RapReviews (7.5/10) Rolling Stone  Spin Village Voice (unfavorable)
Critics were divided over Collision Course, with some praising the album, while others negatively received it.
David Jeffries of allmusic praised the album, calling it "awesomely fun". K.B. Tindal of HipHopDX also equally praised the album, saying that the project "will open a passageway for artists who want to dare to be different as well as those who want to work hard to maintain that difference." Steve Juon of RapReviews called the album "an experiment which bodes well since for the most part these two artists compliment each other."
No. Title Writer(s) Length 1. "Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying from You" S. Carter, T. Mosley, Linkin Park 4:05 2. "Big Pimpin'/Papercut" S. Carter, T. Mosley, K. Joshua, Linkin Park 2:36 3. "Jigga What/Faint" S. Carter, J. Burks, T. Mosley, Linkin Park 3:38 4. "Numb/Encore" Linkin Park, S. Carter, K. West 3:25 5. "Izzo/In the End" S. Carter, K. West, B. Gordy, A. Mizell, F. Perren, D. Richards, Linkin Park 2:45 6. "Points of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closer" Linkin Park, S. Carter, R. Rubin, N. Landsberg, F. Pappalardi, J. Ventura, L. Weinstein, W. Squier, T. Marrow, A. Henderson 4:56
Enhanced Content On The CD
- "Links To Bonus Content"
DVD Track List
- "The Once-In-A-Lifetime Performance - Documentary"
- "Live Performances":
- Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying from You
- Big Pimpin'/Papercut
- Jigga What/Faint
- Izzo/In The End
- Points of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closer
- "Special Features":
- "MTV Ultimate Mash-Ups"
- "Photo Gallery"
- "5.1 Sorround Sound"
- Linkin Park
- Chester Bennington - vocals
- Rob Bourdon - drums, backing vocals
- Brad Delson - guitars, backing vocals
- Joseph Hahn - records, turntables, sampling, backing vocals
- Dave Farrell - bass, backing vocals
- Mike Shinoda - vocals, beats, piano
- Jay-Z - vocals
- Produced and mixed by Mike Shinoda
- Arranged by Brad Delson and Mike Shinoda
- Engineered by Mike Shinoda, John Ewing and Mark Kiczula
- Mastered by Brain "Big Bass" Gardner at Bernie Grundman Mastering
- Executive producers: Shawn Carter and Linkin Park
- A&R: Tom Whalley
- A&R coordination for Warner Bros. Records: Marny Cameron
- Marketing director: Peter Standish
- A&R coordinator: Michael "Stick" Stefrin
- Production coordinator: Ryan DeMarti
- Sample clearance: Eric Weissman for Sample Clearance Limited
- Executive producers: Rob McDermott and John Meneilly
- Creative direction for Warner Bros. Records: Ellen Wakayama
- Project art direction: THE FLEM and Mike Shinoda
- Cover art direction and design: THE FLEM
- Cover and all interior line art illustrations: David Choe
- Digipak and booklet art direction and design: Lawrence Azerrad for LAD
- Photography: Greg Watermann
- Director: Kimo Proudfoot
- Producer: Matt Caltabiano
- Editor: Kevin McCullough
- Live audio engineer: Guy Charbonneau
- Live audio mix: Mike Shinoda
- Executive producer: Janet Haase
- Head of production: Joby Barnhart
- Post production supervisor: Jason Cohon
- For Sunset Editorial: Nazeli Kodjoian, Sin Halina Sy
- Additional footage produced by Lenny Santiago
- 5.1 mixed of Roxy Performance
- DVD post producer: David May
- Associate producer: Raena Winscott
- Menu design: Sean Donelly
- 5.1 mix producer: David May
- 5.1 mix engineer: Ted Hall
- Assistant engineer: Bruce Balestier
- Audio mix: Mix Magic
- Colorist: Dave Hussey
- Title graphics: Carlos
- Authoring: Cinram
- Live performance filmed July 18, 2004 at The Roxy Theatre, West Hollywood, CA
- Original concept by Michele Megan Dix & Jesse Ignjatovic
Entire Roxy set list
Before Jay-Z came on stage, Linkin Park played a small set of songs. After they finished the Collision Course songs, they had to play all six again, due to MTV's malfunction with the stage lighting. The performances on the DVD are from the second take, while the music video for "Numb/Encore" is from the first take. The "Hip-Hop Medley" from this show appears on Linkin Park's 4th annual fan club CD. A shortened version of "It's Goin' Down" from the medley can be found on the DVD. At the start of the live show on the DVD, the amount of sweat can be observed on the band members - Phoenix's entire shirt is soaked, showing that they had played more than just a few songs at that point.
- Intro/"Don't Stay"
- "Somewhere I Belong"
- Hip-Hop Medley ("Step Up"/"Nobody's Listening"/"It's Goin' Down")
- "Breaking the Habit"
- "From the Inside"
- "Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying From You"
- "Big Pimpin'/Papercut"
- "Jigga What/Faint"
- "Izzo/In The End"
- "Points Of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closer"
- Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying From You
- Big Pimpin'/Papercut
- Jigga What/Faint
- Izzo/In The End
- Points of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closer
Charts and certifications
Charts (2004–2005) Peak
Australian Albums Chart 8 Austrian Albums Chart 5 Belgian Albums Chart (Flanders) 19 Belgian Albums Chart (Wallonia) 17 Canadian Albums Chart 6 Danish Albums Chart 7 Dutch Albums Chart 9 French Albums Chart 20 Italian Albums Chart 19 New Zealand Albums Chart 4 Norwegian Albums Chart 1 Portuguese Albums Chart 4 Swedish Albums Chart 9 UK Albums Chart 15 U.S. Billboard 200 1 U.S. Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums 3 U.S. Billboard Top Rap Albums 3
Country Certification Australia Platinum Austria Gold Brasil Gold Canada 2x Platinum Denmark Gold France Gold Germany Gold Ireland 2x Platinum Italy Platinum New Zealand Platinum Switzerland Platinum United States Platinum
- ^ "Collision Course (with DVD): Jay-Z, Linkin Park: Music". Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Collision-Course-Jay-Z-Linkin-Park/dp/B00069A6P4/. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- ^ Trust, Gary (2009-08-07). "Ask Billboard: Steve Vai, Jay-Z, Radiohead". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/column/chartbeat/ask-billboard-steve-vai-jay-z-radiohead-1003999123.story#/column/chartbeat/ask-billboard-steve-vai-jay-z-radiohead-1003999123.story. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- ^ a b Wiederhorn, Jon (2004-10-28). "Jay-Z And Linkin Park Show Danger Mouse How It's Done - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News". Mtv.com. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1491889/20041028/story.jhtml. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- ^ Making of Collision Course
- ^ a b Jeffries, David. "Collision Course". allmusic. allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/collision-course-r718671/review. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- ^ Christgau, Robert. "Jay-Z/Linkin Park Extended Discography". Robert Christgau. http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist2.php?id=5402. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- ^ a b Fiore, Raymond (3 December 2004). "MTV Ultimate Mash-Ups Presents— Jay-Z/Linkin Park: Collision Course (2004)". Entertainment Weekly. CNN. http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,831920,00.html. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- ^ Lynskey, Dorian (26 November 2004). "Jay-Z/Linkin Park, Collision Course". The Guardian. The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2004/nov/26/popandrock.shopping5. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- ^ a b Tindal, K.B. (15 December 2004). "Jay-Z/Linkin Park Collision Course Review". HipHopDX. HipHopDX. http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/album-reviews/id.495/title.jay-z-linkin-park-collision-course. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- ^ Long, Pat (11 December 2004). "Jay-Z/Linkin Park: Collision Course". NME. NME. http://www.nme.com/reviews/name/7551. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ a b Joun, Steve (7 December 2004). "Jay-Z/Linkin Park :: Collision Course :: Warner Bros. Records". RapReviews. http://www.rapreviews.com/archive/2004_12_cocourse.html. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ Hoard, Christian (9 December 2004). "Collision Course review". Rolling Stone. Rolling Stone. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/collision-course-20041209. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ Sylvester, Nick (4 January 2005). "Rap-Metal in the Winter Sky, and 99 Dead Problems Go By". Village Voice. http://www.villagevoice.com/2005-01-04/music/rap-metal-in-the-winter-sky-and-99-dead-problems-go-by/. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ http://australian-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Jay-Z+%2F+Linkin+Park&titel=Collision+Course&cat=a
- ^ http://austriancharts.at/showitem.asp?interpret=Jay-Z+%2F+Linkin+Park&titel=Collision+Course&cat=a
- ^ http://www.ultratop.be/nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Jay-Z+%2F+Linkin+Park&titel=Collision+Course&cat=a
- ^ http://www.ultratop.be/fr/showitem.asp?interpret=Jay-Z+%2F+Linkin+Park&titel=Collision+Course&cat=a
- ^ http://danishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Jay-Z+%2F+Linkin+Park&titel=Collision+Course&cat=a
- ^ http://dutchcharts.nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Jay-Z+%2F+Linkin+Park&titel=Collision+Course&cat=a
- ^ http://lescharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Jay-Z+%2F+Linkin+Park&titel=Collision+Course&cat=a
- ^ http://italiancharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Jay-Z+%2F+Linkin+Park&titel=Collision+Course&cat=a
- ^ http://charts.org.nz/showitem.asp?interpret=Jay-Z+%2F+Linkin+Park&titel=Collision+Course&cat=a
- ^ http://norwegiancharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Jay-Z+%2F+Linkin+Park&titel=Collision+Course&cat=a
- ^ http://portuguesecharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Jay-Z+%2F+Linkin+Park&titel=Collision+Course&cat=a
- ^ http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-charts-accreditations-albums-2004.htm
- ^ http://www.ifpi.at/?section=goldplatin
- ^ http://www.abpd.org.br/certificados_interna.asp
- ^ http://www.cria.ca/gold/0205_g.php
- ^ http://www.hitlisterne.dk/lister.asp?w=10&y=2005&list=a40
- ^ http://www.disqueenfrance.com/fr/pag-259165-CERTIFICATIONS.html?year=2005&type=8
- ^ http://www.musikindustrie.de/gold_platin_datenbank/#topSearch
- ^ http://www.irishcharts.ie/awards/multi_platinum.htm
- ^ http://www.fimi.it/
- ^ http://www.rianz.org.nz/rianz/chart.asp
- ^ http://swisscharts.com/awards.asp?year=2005
- ^ http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?resultpage=1&table=SEARCH_RESULTS&action=&title=&artist=jay%20z&format=ALBUM&debutLP=&category=&sex=&releaseDate=&requestNo=&type=&level=&label=&company=&certificationDate=&awardDescription=&catalogNo=&aSex=&rec_id=&charField=&gold=&platinum=&multiPlat=&level2=&certDate=&album=&id=&after=&before=&startMonth=1&endMonth=1&startYear=1958&endYear=2010&sort=Artist&perPage=50
- Collision Course official website
- Collision Course official lyrics page from the Linkin Park website
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb by U2
Billboard 200 number-one album
December 12, 2004 - December 18, 2004
The Red Light District by Ludacris
Jay-Z Studio albums Compilation albums Collaboration albums SoundtracksStreets Is Watching (with various artists) Concert toursHard Knock Life Tour (1999) · Roc The Mic Tour (2003) · Best of Both Worlds Tour (2004) · American Gangster Live (2007) · Heart of the City Tour (2008) · Jay-Z & Ciara Live (2009) · Jay-Z Fall Tour (2009) · The Blueprint 3 Tour (2010) · The Home & Home Tour (2010) · U2 360 Tour (Supporting act, 2010) · Watch the Throne Tour (2011) Related articles Linkin Park AlbumsStudio albumsRemix albumsLive albumsLive in Texas (2003) · Road to Revolution: Live at Milton Keynes (2008) · A Thousand Suns + (2011)EPsXero (1997) · Hybrid Theory EP (1999) · Songs from the Underground (2008) Videos ToursHybrid Theory Tour · Meteora Tour · Minutes to Midnight Tour · Escape the Studio Tour · A Thousand Suns Tour Related articles Linkin Park singles Hybrid Theory Meteora Minutes to Midnight A Thousand Suns"The Catalyst" • "Waiting for the End" • "Burning in the Skies" • "Iridescent" Other singles Other songs"Runaway"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Collision course (disambiguation) — Collision course refers to one opposing object or philosophy moving towards another expecting to collide. It may also refer to: Collision Course (album), an album by Jay Z Linkin Park Collision Course (film), action comedy starring actors Jay… … Wikipedia
Collision Course — EP par Jay Z Linkin Park Sortie 29 novembre 2004 30 novembre 2004 … Wikipédia en Français
Collision Course... Paradox 2 — Collision Course... Paradox II Studio album by Royal Hunt … Wikipedia
Collision Course... Paradox 2 (Royal Hunt album) — Infobox Album | Name = Collision Course... Paradox II Type = Album Artist = Royal Hunt Background = Released = 2008 Recorded = Genre = Hard rock Producer = André Andersen Last album = Paper blood (2005) This album = Collision Course... Paradox II … Wikipedia
Collision course — This article is about the movement of one object or philosophy towards another. For other uses, see Collision course (disambiguation). A collision course, also known as a kamikaze run, is the deliberate maneuver by the operator of a moving object … Wikipedia
Collision (Homonymie) — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom … Wikipédia en Français
Collision (homonymie) — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Sur les autres projets Wikimedia : « Collision (homonymie) », sur le Wiktionnaire (dictionnaire universel) Sommaire … Wikipédia en Français
Minutes to Midnight (album) — Minutes to Midnight Studio album by Linkin Park Released May 14, 20 … Wikipedia
Meteora (Album) — Meteora Studioalbum von Linkin Park Veröffentlichung 25. März 2003 Label Warner Brothers Records … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Black Album (Jay-Z album) — The Black Album Studio album by Jay Z Released November 14, 2003 … Wikipedia