- My Cage
My Cage Author(s) Melissa DeJesus and Ed Power Current status / schedule Canceled (print) Unknown (web) Launch date May 5, 2007 End date October 31, 2010 Syndicate(s) Universal Press Syndicate Genre(s) Humor
My Cage is an American daily comic strip by Melissa DeJesus and Ed Power and was distributed by King Features Syndicate. The strip debuted on May 6, 2007, and is the first "manga-inspired" comic to be syndicated by King Features.
The comic is set in a world of anthropomorphic animals, in which the protagonist attempts to juggle a soul-sucking corporate career with freelance writing.
On August 25, 2010 the My Cage web site announced that the My Cage comic strip has been canceled and the final episode of the strip will run on October 31, 2010.
Currently the strip is running in re-runs on Universal Uclick's gocomics.com. 
- Norman T. Platypus, the strip's protagonist. Norm is a twentysomething aspiring freelance writer who works as a supervisor for the fictitious corporation McGuffin Inc. Despite his income, he believes he was happier before his job ("poorer but happier.") He regularly shaves the fur on top of his head to "make a statement about baldness," though he has yet to explain what the statement is.
- Bridget T. Dog, Norman's girlfriend. is an assistant manager for Video Cavern. Unlike Norman, she enjoys her job. Her interests include painting and Lost. She is often called a "Hippie." On May 10, 2009, Bridget and Norman broke up. However, they have since gotten back together. Two recent strips have shown that she is somewhat stressed over the wedding, cramming massive quantities of food as a way to cope with it. These feelings were later pacified when she ran into a former boyfriend and realized that her love for Norm overshadowed any doubts she might have about their future. It has been revealed that she is pregnant.
- Squishy is Norman's pet amoeba who is often depicted with dog like behavior. She first appeared May 24, 2007, when Bridget convinced Norman to adopt her. Despite Norman's self-assured dislike for "toy amoebas," he instantly fell in love with her at first sight and seemingly adores her even more than he does Bridget (in fact the two consider each other rivals for his affection).
- Ashley T. Bengal, one of Norman's employees, Ashley is a self-described "hyper-creative, easily bored Goth chick." At work, she often pesters her boss, at one time stapling all his possessions to his desk (including the stapler itself). Norman and Ashley consider each other "work spouses" and Norm is occasionally suggested to have a mild attraction to her to the point of provoking jealousy in Bridget.
- Rex T. Doberman is another employee of Norman's, noted for his narcissistic attitude and generally vapid nature. He often talks about himself, oblivious to the presence of his coworkers and considers himself to be "naturally ripped" despite being even more overweight than Norm.
- Violet T. Chihuahua is Rex's wife and coworker. She is equally egotistical but generally more spiteful (she frequently describes those around her as inferior) and is very possessive of Rex. Her main reason for working at McGuffin was so she could keep an eye on him. Violet gave birth to her and Rex's first child Sunny on May 19, 2010. Recent strips have depicted her and her daughter as being the embodiment of evil (e.g., an ultrasound during Violet's pregnancy picked up a fetal heartbeat to the tune of the "Jaws" theme).
- Sunny Rex and Violet's infant daughter, born May 19, 2010. Despite her seemingly innocent exterior, Sunny is even more sinister in nature than Violet; possessing a hunger for "soul-emptiness" and telekinetic abilities.
- Maureen T. Fox is a highly attractive programmer hired to the desk next to Norman (first appeared June 4, 2007.) Divorced and with one daughter, named Lily, Maureen is a bit of an elitist who refuses to date anyone who isn't good-looking and rich (a mid-2010 strip revealed that her obsession with money might have to do with her father abandoning her and her mother for another family after he won the lottery). She has a snarky and sarcastic sense of humor which usually reveals itself when interacting with Norm (Norm once mentioned how she considers coworkers to be "spackle friends" which she uses to fill the holes in her social life).
- Jeffrey T. Shark, another coworker of Norman's, he is considered the corporation's resident imbecile. His fellow coworkers base this claim on some of Jeff's quotes, such as "I'm sorry, what did you say? I was too busy trying to see if I can taste my own tongue." Jeff was formerly married but was divorced after he engaged in an extra-marital affair in an attempt to be more like Max. Jeffrey has a son shark named J.J. who has appeared in some episodes of the strip since 2009. Recent strips have shown him occasionally bickering with Max regarding politics with Jeff taking the left and Max taking the right.
- Max T. Terrier, Norman's boss. Max is an archetypal snob who flaunts various luxuries around the office, due an income that is disproportionately larger than Norm's. Nonetheless, he makes a concerted effort to remain on good terms with his staff. He is seldom seen without a drink in hand and also flirts with many women despite being married. Towards the end, Max leaves in a flash of fire, swearing to return.
- Dr. Alan T. Chipmunk, Norm's therapist, though Norman rarely feels better after meeting with him. Norm has considered Alan "even worse than Dr. Phil."
- Cassandra Cat, a character from Slylock Fox making a cameo and guest appearance for a week of strips in 2007. Max hired her for her looks alone. Maureen T. Fox considers Cassandra her new "Bestest Friend," as Norman told her Cassandra was a shallow person who only succeeds because of her looks.
- Brian Puma, was introduced on June 23, 2008 as the replacement for Max's boss Lenny. At first Norman was hopeful that Brian would be a "Fresh set of eyes! Someone who won't fall for (Max's) scheming and see I do all of (Max's) work!" Norman's hopes are crushed in the next frame when Brian bluntly asks, "Who's the geek?". Tall and muscular, Brian considers himself an "outdoorsman" (which greatly irritates Norm who fancies himself an "indoorsman"). Following his introduction, Brian rarely made any speaking appearances afterward and was ultimately removed from the strip when he died of an apparent heart attack on September 9, 2010.
- Kenny the Unicorn, introduced on September 15, 2008, is a dim young man given a low-responsibility job at McGuffin. Norm deduces that he is actually a horse with a spike in his head. May also be Max's secret illegitimate son.
- ^ My Cage page on gocomics.com (see external links)
- "My Cage" re-runs on gocomics.
- Express News coverage of the strip's launch
- 'My Cage,' manga-inspired syndicated strip, breathes life into weekday comics New York Daily News (Feb. 3, 2010).
Andrews McMeel UniversalAndrews McMeel · Universal Uclick (Universal Press Syndicate · Uclick) · AMUSE Comic stripsAdam@home · Argyle Sweater · Baker Street Puzzle · Baldo · Biographic · Brainwaves · Cathy · Cleats · Close to Home · Condorito · Cornered · Cul de Sac · Doonesbury · The Duplex · The Elderberries · The 5th Wave · The Flying McCoys · For Better or For Worse · FoxTrot · Fred Basset · The Fusco Brothers · Garfield · Gaturro · Ginger Meggs · Heart of the City · In the Bleachers · In the Sticks · Ink Pen · James Bond · Judge Dredd · Kudzu · La Cucaracha · Liō · Magic in a Minute · Merlin's World of Marvels · Mutt and Jeff · Non Sequitur · Overboard · Peanuts · Pepe · Pooch Café · Real Life Adventures · Red and Rover · Ronaldinho Gaucho · Stone Soup · Tank McNamara · Tom the Dancing Bug · W. T. Duck · You Can With Beakman and Jax · Ziggy Editorial
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
cage — [ kaʒ ] n. f. • 1155; lat. cavea, de cavus « creux » I ♦ 1 ♦ Loge garnie de barreaux servant à enfermer des animaux sauvages. Les cages d une ménagerie, d un cirque. Le dompteur entre dans la cage des lions, aux lions. Tourner comme un ours en… … Encyclopédie Universelle
Cage Rage Championships — Cage Rage Championships, also known as Cage Rage, is a United Kingdom based mixed martial arts promotion that premiered on September 7 2002 in London. It is owned and managed by ProElite, with matchmaker and on screen personality Dave O Donnell… … Wikipedia
Cage — may refer to:Fiction* Cage (film) , a 1989 film starring Lou Ferrigno * , an episode of Law Order: Special Victims Unit * John Cage (character), a fictional character in the television show Ally McBeal * Johnny Cage, a fictional character from… … Wikipedia
Cage Warriors — Fighting Championship or CWFC is a UK owned and operated promoter of Mixed Martial Arts Events, Fighter Management Training. The name Cage Warriors was conceived in 2001 and brought into life as an event for MMA Fighters to compete in an 8 sided… … Wikipedia
Cage the Elephant (альбом) — Cage the Elephant Студийный альбом Cage the Elephant Дата выпуска … Википедия
CAGE (J.) — Du compositeur américain John Cage, on peut dire d’ores et déjà qu’il a été l’un des musiciens les plus importants de la seconde moitié du XXe siècle – bien qu’ayant été, et sans doute parce qu’étant le plus contesté. Il n’est certes plus à la… … Encyclopédie Universelle
Cage (rapper) — Cage Kennylz Birth name Chris Palko Born 1973 Origin New York City, United States Genres Hip hop Occupations … Wikipedia
Cage De Faraday — Cage de Faraday. Une cage de Faraday est une enceinte utilisée pour protéger des nuisances électriques et subsidiairement électromagnétiques extérieures ou inversement empêcher un appareillage de polluer son environnement. Une cage de Faraday est … Wikipédia en Français
Cage de Faraday — Cage de Faraday. Une cage de Faraday est une enceinte utilisée pour protéger des nuisances électriques et subsidiairement électromagnétiques extérieures ou inversement empêcher un appareillage de polluer son environnement. Une cage de Faraday est … Wikipédia en Français
Cage de faraday — Cage de Faraday. Une cage de Faraday est une enceinte utilisée pour protéger des nuisances électriques et subsidiairement électromagnétiques extérieures ou inversement empêcher un appareillage de polluer son environnement. Une cage de Faraday est … Wikipédia en Français
Cage the Elephant — Cage the Elephant … Википедия