x = 157
y = 35
Nord-Pas de Calais
alt moy= 60 m
alt mini=41 m
alt maxi=101 m
sans= ("Cambrésiens") 33,716
Cambrai is the seat of an archdiocese whose jurisdiction was immense during the
Middle Ages. The territory of the Bishopric of Cambrai, roughly coinciding with the shire of Brabant, included the central part of the Low Countries. The bishopric had some limited secular power.
The Battle of Cambrai (
20 November 1917– 3 December 1917), a campaign of World War Itook place there. It was noted for the first successful use of tanks. A second Battle of Cambrai took place between 8 October 1918– 10 October 1918as part of the Hundred Days Offensive.
Little is known with certainty of the beginnings of Cambrai. "Camaracum" or "Camaraco", as it was known to the Romans, is mentioned for the first time on the Peutinger table in the middle of the 4th century. It was a town of the
Nervii, whose "capital" was at "Bagacum", present-day Bavay.
In the middle of the 4th century
Frankishraids from the north led the Romans to build forts along the Cologne to Bavay to Cambrai road, and thence to Boulogne. Cambrai thus occupied an important strategic position. In the early 5th century the town had become the administrative centre of the Nervii in replacement of Bavay which was probably too exposed to the Franks' raids and perhaps too damaged. Christianityarrived in the region at about the same time. A bishop of the Nervii by the name of "Superior" is mentioned in the middle of the 4th century, but nothing else is known about him.
In 430 the
Salian Franksunder the command of Clodiothe Long-Haired took the town. In the early 6th century Clovisundertook to unify the Frankish kingdoms by getting rid of his relatives. One of them was Ragnacharius, who ruled over a small kingdom from Cambrai.
In 870 the town was destroyed by the Normans. [1911 Encyclopedia Britannica, "Cambrai"]
Early Middle Ages
Cambrai began to grow from a rural market into a real city during the
Merovingiantimes, a long period of peace when the bishoprics of Arras and Cambrai were first unified (probably owing to the small number of clerics left at the time) and were later transferred to Cambrai, an administrative centre for the region. Successive bishops, including Gaugericus(in French Géry), founded abbeys and churches to host relics, which contributed powerfully to giving Cambrai both the appearance and functions of a city.
treaty of Verdun(843) split Charlemagne's empire into three parts the county of Cambrai fell into Lothaire's kingdom. However on the death of Lothair II, who had no heir, king Charles the Baldtried to gain control of his kingdom by having himself sacred at Metz. Cambrai thus reverted, but only briefly, to the Western Frankish Realm. By 925 Henry the Fowler had regained control of Lothair's former domains. Cambrai henceforth belonged to the Holy Roman Empire, in an uncomfortable position on the border with France, until it was annexed by Franceeight centuries later after being captured by Louis XIVin 1677.
In the Middle-Ages the region around Cambrai, called Cambrésis, was a county. Rivalries between the count, who ruled the city and county, and the bishop, ceased when in 948 Otto I granted the bishop with temporal powers over the city. In 1007 emperor
Henry II, Holy Roman Emperor, extended the bishop's temporal power to the territory surrounding Cambrai. The bishops then had both spiritual and temporal powers. This made Cambrai and Cambrésis a church principality, much like Liège, an independent state which was part of the Holy Roman Empire.
In 958 one of the first communes in Europe was established in Cambrai. The inhabitants rebelled against the bishop's power and abuses. They were severely repressed, but the discontent flared up again in the 10th and 11th centuries. In 1226, following another period of unrest, the burghers of Cambrai finally had to give up their charters and accept the bishop's authority, while retaining some freedom in the running of the town.
Prosperity in the Middle Ages
In the Middle-Ages the city grew richer and larger thanks to its weaving industry which produced woollen cloth, linen and
cambric. Cambrai then belonged to a commercial hansa of seventeen low country cities whose aim was to develop trade with the fairs in Champagne and Paris. By the 11th century the city walls had reached the circumference they would keep until the 19th century.
Cambrai has a distinguished musical history, particularly in the 15th century. The cathedral there, a musical center until the 17th century, had one of the most active musical establishments in the Low Countries; many composers of the
Burgundian Schooleither grew up and learned their craft there, or returned to teach. In 1428 Philippe de Luxembourg claimed that the cathedral was the finest in all of Christianity, for the fineness of its singing, its light, and the sweetness of its bells. Guillaume Dufay, the most famous European musician of the 15th century, studied at the cathedral from 1409 to 1412, and returned in 1439 after spending many years in Italy. Cambrai cathedral had other famous composers in the later 15th century: Johannes Tinctorisand Ockeghem went to Cambrai to study with Dufay. Other composers included Nicolas Grenon, Alexander Agricola, and Jacob Obrecht. In the 16th century, Philippe de Monte, Johannes Lupi, and Jacobus de Kerleall worked there.
Hundred Year's War
Even though the bishop tried to preserve the independence of his small state of Cambrésis, the task was not easy, wedged as the county was between its more powerful neighbours the counts of Flanders, of Hainaut and the kings of
France, especially during the Hundred Years' War. In 1339, in the early stages of the war, the English king Edward III laid siege to the city but eventually had to withdraw. By the 14th century the county was surrounded on all parts by Burgundy's possessions and John of Burgundy, an illegitimate son of John the Fearless, was made bishop. However what looked like an impending annexation of Cambrésis to the states of Burgundy was made impossible by the sudden death of Charles the Boldin 1477. Louis XI immediately seized the opportunity to take control of Cambrai, but left the city a year later.
The legend of Martin and Martine
Martin and Martine are two legendary characters who have come to represent the city which they are said to have saved. There are different versions of the story. The most commonly accepted version runs as follows: around the year 1370, at the time of Bishop Robert, Count of Geneva, Martin, a blacksmith of
Moorishdescent established in Cambrai, was among the burghers who left the city to fight the lord of Thun-Lévêque, who was then reputed to ransom the population around the city and generally to afflict the region. Martin, armed only with his heavy iron hammer, soon came face to face with the enemy. He dealt such a heavy blow on his opponent's head that, although the helmet of the lord did not break, because it was made of good steel, it was driven down to his eyes. Dazed and blinded, the lord of Thun quickly surrendered. Today the automatons of Martin and Martine, standing at the top of the town hall, strike the hours with a hammer as a reminder of that mighty blow.
The Renaissance and classical age
As the economic centre of northern Europe moved away from
Bruges, the area became poorer, with an associated period of cultural decline. However the city's neutrality and its position between the possessions of the Habsburg Empireand Francemade it the venue of several international negotiations, including the League of Cambrai, an alliance engineered in 1508 by Pope Julius IIagainst the Republic of Venice. The alliance collapsed in 1510 when the Pope allied with Venice against his former ally France. The conflict is also referred to as the War of the League of Cambraiand lasted from 1508 to 1516. Cambrai was also the site of negotiations in 1529 that led to France's withdrawal from the War of the League of Cognac.
In 1543 Cambrai was conquered by
Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, and annexed to his already vast possessions. He had the medieval monastery of Saint-Sépulchre demolished and a citadel built in its place.
In 1623, the community of nuns of the
English Benedictine Congregationwas founded at Cambrai, which was expelled during the French Revolution and its successor community has since 1838 been established at Stanbrook Abbey, near Malvern.
In 1677, Louis XIV, in an effort to "safeguard the tranquility of his borders for ever" ("assurer à jamais le repos de ses frontières"), decided to take Cambrai and supervised the siege in person. The city was taken on April 19 1677. By the
Treaty of Nijmegenof 1678 Spain relinquished Cambrai, which has remained to this day a part of France.
The first archbishop appointed by the king of France was
François Fénelon. He came to be known as the "swan of Cambrai" ("le cygne de Cambrai"), in opposition to his rival Bossuet, the "eagle of Meaux" ("l'aigle de Meaux"), and he wrote his "Maxims of the Saints" while residing in the city.
The French Revolution
The city suffered from the Revolution:
Joseph Le Bon, sent by the Comité de salut public, arrived in Cambrai in 1794. He was to set up an era of "terror", sending many to the guillotine, until he was tried and executed in 1795. Most of the religious buildings of the city were demolished in that period: in 1797, the cathedral, which had been dubbed the "wonder of the low countries", was sold to a merchant who exploited it as a stone quarry. Only the main tower was left standing by 1809, when it collapsed in a storm. However the cathedral's archives have been preserved (they are now at the Archives Départmentales du Nord in Lille).
Evolution of the population of Cambrai from 1794 to 2005
(2005 : estimate [ [http://www.insee.fr/fr/recensement/nouv_recens/resultats/grandes-villes.htm#C INSEE: Census results since 2004] ] )(Sources : INSEE - [http://cassini.ehess.fr/cassini/fr/html/index.htm CassiniEHESS] )
ImageSize = width:710 height:190PlotArea = left:40 right:10 top:10 bottom:20TimeAxis = orientation:horizontalAlignBars = justifyColors = id:gray1 value:gray(0.7)DateFormat = yyyyPeriod = from:1790 till:2010ScaleMajor = unit:year increment:20 start:1790 gridcolor:gray1 start:1790 PlotData = bar:40000 color:gray1 width:1 from:start till:end bar:30000 color:gray1 width:1 from:start till:end bar:20000 color:gray1 from:start till:end bar:10000 color:gray1 from:start till:end bar:0 color:gray1 TextData = pos: (270,60) textcolor:black fontsize:S tabs: (12-right, 143-right, 222-right, 320-right) text: ^Franco-Prussian^1st World^2d World^1st oil text: ^war^war^war^crisis
LineData = layer:front at:1870 color:red width:0.5 at:1871 color:red width:0.5 at:1914 color:red width:0.5 at:1918 color:red width:0.5 at:1940 color:red width:0.5 at:1945 color:red width:0.5 at:1973 color:red width:0.5 points:(52,82)(70,75) color:blue width:1 #1794: 15427 points:(70,75)(88,82) color:blue width:1 #1800: 13799 points:(88,82)(130,83) color:blue width:1 #1806: 15608 points:(130,83)(163,91) color:blue width:1 #1820: 15851 points:(163,91)(178,91) color:blue width:1 #1831: 17646 points:(178,91)(193,101) color:blue width:1 #1836: 17846 points:(193,101)(208,103) color:blue width:1 #1841: 20141 points:(208,103)(223,105) color:blue width:1 #1846: 20648 points:(223,105)(238,106) color:blue width:1 #1851: 21344 points:(238,106)(253,110) color:blue width:1 #1856: 21405 points:(253,110)(268,109) color:blue width:1 #1861: 22557 points:(268,109)(286,112) color:blue width:1 #1866: 22207 points:(286,112)(298,108) color:blue width:1 #1872: 22897 points:(298,108)(313,114) color:blue width:1 #1876: 22079 points:(313,114)(328,116) color:blue width:1 #1881: 23448 points:(328,116)(343,116) color:blue width:1 #1886: 23881 points:(343,116)(358,121) color:blue width:1 #1891: 24122 points:(358,121)(373,126) color:blue width:1 #1896: 25250 points:(373,126)(388,131) color:blue width:1 #1901: 26586 points:(388,131)(403,132) color:blue width:1 #1906: 27832 points:(403,132)(433,124) color:blue width:1 #1911: 28077 points:(433,124)(448,137) color:blue width:1 #1921: 26023 points:(448,137)(463,134) color:blue width:1 #1926: 29193 points:(463,134)(478,139) color:blue width:1 #1931: 28542 points:(478,139)(508,125) color:blue width:1 #1936: 29655 points:(508,125)(532,138) color:blue width:1 #1946: 26129 points:(532,138)(556,152) color:blue width:1 #1954: 29567 points:(556,152)(574,170) color:blue width:1 #1962: 32973 points:(574,170)(595,176) color:blue width:1 #1968: 37584 points:(595,176)(616,161) color:blue width:1 #1975: 39049 points:(616,161)(640,152) color:blue width:1 #1982: 35272 points:(640,152)(667,155) color:blue width:1 #1990: 33092 points:(667,155)(685,152) color:green width:1 #2005: 33100
Cambrai was the birthplace of:
Amé Bourdon(1636 or 1638 - 1706), physicianand anatomist
Charles François Dumouriez(1739-1823), French general
* Francisco de Carondelet (1747-1807), in Noyelles, Spanish governor of Louisiana, president of the "
Audiencia" of Quito
Louis Blériot(1872-1936), aviator
Henri de Lubac(1896-1991), Jesuit and theologian
Julien Torma(1902-1933), writer, playwright and poet
René Dumont(1904-2001), engineer in agronomy, sociologist, and environmental politician
Maurice Godelier(born 1934), social anthropologist, neo-Marxist, and French intellectual
Archdiocese of Cambrai
* David Fallows, Barbara H. Haggh: "Cambrai", Grove Music Online ed. L. Macy (Accessed December 18, 2005), [http://www.grovemusic.com (subscription access)] (source for the music history section)
* "Cambrai." Encyclopedia Britannica, 11th ed. New York, Encyclopedia Britannica Co., 1910.
* "Histoire de Cambrai", sous la direction de Louis Trénard, Presses Universitaires de Lille, 1982.
* [http://www.villedecambrai.com/ Cambrai website] (French)
* [http://www.fortified-places.com/cambrai.html Webpage about the fortifications]
* [http://www.fortified-places.com/cambrai1677.html Webpage on the 1677 siege]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cambrai — Cambrai … Deutsch Wikipedia
Cambrai — Kamerijk Escudo … Wikipedia Español
cambrai — v. de France, ch. l. d arr. du Nord, sur l Escaut; 34 210 hab. Centre comm. Industr. Archevêché. Beffroi (XVe XVIIIe s.). La paix de Cambrai ou paix des Dames y fut signée, en 1529, entre Louise de Savoie, au nom du roi de France François Ier, et … Encyclopédie Universelle
Cambrai — [kã brɛ], Stadt im Département Nord, an der Schelde und am Kanal von Saint Quentin, Frankreich, 33 000 Einwohner; Verkehrsknotenpunkt und bedeutendes wirtschaftliches Zentrum im Ostteil des Artois, dem Cambrésis, einer der fruchtbarsten… … Universal-Lexikon
Cambrai — Cambrai, Liga de Cambrai, Paz de Cambrai, batalla de ► C. del N de Francia, en el departamento y región del Norte, a orillas del Escalda; 37 290 h … Enciclopedia Universal
Cambrai  — Cambrai (spr. kangbrä, deutsch Kambryk), Arrondissementshauptstadt und Festung erster Klasse im franz. Depart. Nord, an der Schelde und am Kanal von St. Quentin, Knotenpunkt an der Nordbahn, ist durch eine bastionierte Umwallung, eine starke… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Cambrai  — Cambrai (spr. kangbrä), ehemals reichsunmittelbares Bistum im burgundischen Kreis, wurde um 600 durch Verlegung des Bischofsitzes von Arras nach C. begründet. Sein geistlicher Sprengel gehörte zum Erzbistum Reims. Sein fürstliches Gebiet bestand… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Cambrai — (Cambray, spr. kangbräh), Stadt im franz. Dep. Nord, an der Schelde, (1901) 26.586 E.; Fabrikation von Linon und Batist (Cambricstoffe). C., das Cameracum der Römer, war im Mittelalter Hauptort der zum Deutschen Reich, später dem Bischof von C.… … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Cambrai — 50° 10′ 36″ N 3° 14′ 08″ E / 50.1766666667, 3.23555555556 … Wikipédia en Français
Cambrai — /kahonn brdde /, n. a city in N France: battles 1917, 1918. 41,109. * * * ▪ France town, Nord département, Nord Pas de Calais région, northern France. It lies along the Escaut River, south of Roubaix. The town was called Camaracum under the … Universalium