- Sutton Foster
name = Sutton Foster
imagesize = 180px
birthdate = birth date and age|1975|3|18
Statesboro, Georgia, USA
occupation = Actor
tonyawards = Best Leading Actress in a Musical
Thoroughly Modern Millie"
Foster was born in
Statesboro, Georgiaand raised in Troy, Michigan. At age fifteen, she was a contestant on the television show " Star Search" and also auditioned for the cast of " The Mickey Mouse Club". She left Troy High School, where she had been active in the Troy Theatre Ensemble, before her senior year (she received her diploma via correspondence courses) to be in the national tour of " The Will Rogers Follies" directed by Tommy Tune. She then attended Carnegie Mellon Universityfor one year, but left to pursue a theatrical career full-time.
Foster's big break was reminiscent of "42nd Street" when, during rehearsals of the pre-Broadway run of "Thoroughly Modern Millie" at the
La Jolla Playhousein San Diego, where she was the Understudy and was called on to replace the leading lady. This was hardly her first Broadway caliber production as she had played roles on Broadway and in National tours of such shows as the revival of "Annie" as the "Star to Be", the 1995 Broadway revival of "Grease" as the Understudy to the role of "Sandy", and "Les Miserables" as the Understudy to the role of "Eponine." But still she was basically an "unknown" and any apprehension about having an unknown playing the lead in a nearly $10 million Broadway production was proven unfounded when she opened at the Marquis Theatreto primarily rave reviews. Foster went on to win the 2002 Tony Award for Best Leading Actress in a Musical and the Drama Desk Awardfor Outstanding Actress in a Musical for her performance.
In 2005, Foster starred as Jo March opposite
Maureen McGovernas Marmee in the short-lived musical adaptation of the Louisa May Alcottclassic "Little Women", for which she was nominated for her second Tony Award.
Foster returned to the
Marquis Theatreon Broadway in May 2006 in " The Drowsy Chaperone", a spoof of 1920s musicals. She played the role of Janet van de Graff, a famous Broadway starlet who opts to forgo a stage career in favor of married life. Her performance in "Chaperone" earned her a third Tony nomination.
In 2007, Foster was offered two television acting roles. The first as the sister of host Johnny on "
Johnny and the Sprites", a children's musical puppet show. Next came the role of Coco, the girlfriend of central character Bret, in a three episode story arcon the HBOtelevision series "Flight of the Conchords".
Foster recently starred in
Mel Brooks' new musical production of "Young Frankenstein". She played the German yodeling fraulein Inga until July 6, 2008. [http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=29200]
Her next role is "Fiona" in the musical adaptation of "Shrek". The musical is recently had its Pre-Broadway tryout in
Seattleat the 5th Avenue Theatreand is scheduled to start previews on Broadway at The Broadway Theatreon November 8, 2008, with an official Broadway opening on December 14, 2008. [Gans, Andrew. [http://www.playbill.com/news/article/120408.html "Seattle Goes Green: Shrek the Musical Makes World Premiere Aug. 14",] playbill.com, August 14, 2008]
In 2008, as a thank you to her former high school, Foster returned to her hometown to help future budding stars in their own local production of "Thoroughly Modern Millie".
Sutton Foster is currently working on her debut CD entitled "Wish" which will be released sometime around early 2009, by Ghostlight Records.
She recently performed songs from her debut album at Joe's Pub in New York City.
* "Shrek" (2008)
* "Young Frankenstein" (October 11, 2007 - July 6, 2008)
The Drowsy Chaperone" (Apr 3, 2006 - Apr 15, 2007)
* "Little Women" (2005)
* "Thoroughly Modern Millie" (Mar 19, 2002 - Feb 15, 2004)
* "Les Misèrables" (2000)
* "The Scarlet Pimpernel" (1997)
* "Grease" (1996)
Me and My Girl" (Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera)
What the World Needs Now" (Old Globe)
* "Dorian" (Goodspeed Opera House)
The Three Musketeers" (San Jose Musical Theatre)
* "South Pacific" (Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera)
Johnny and the Sprites" (2007)
* "Flight of the Conchords" (2007)
* "Wish" Debut Album
* "Shrek The Musical" Original Cast Recording
* "Young Frankenstein" Original Cast Recording
* "The Drowsy Chaperone" Original Cast Recording
* "Little Women" Original Cast Recording
* "Thoroughly Modern Millie" Original Cast Recording
* Jule Styne in Hollywood
Awards and nominations
* 2002 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical - "Thoroughly Modern Millie"
* 2002 Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical - "Thoroughly Modern Millie"
Fred AstaireAward for Best Actress - "Thoroughly Modern Millie"
* 2002 Tony Award for Best Lead Actress in a Musical - "Thoroughly Modern Millie";Nominations
* 2005 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical - "Little Women"
Drama League Awardnomination for Distinguished Performance - "Little Women"
* 2005 Tony Award for Best Lead Actress in a Musical - "Little Women"
Drama Desk Awardfor Outstanding Actress in a Musical - "The Drowsy Chaperone"
* 2006: Drama League Award nomination for Distinguished Performance - "The Drowsy Chaperone"
Outer Critics Circle Awardfor Outstanding Actress in a Musical - "The Drowsy Chaperone"
* 2006 Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical - "Little Women"
* 2006 Tony Award for Best Lead Actress in a Musical - "The Drowsy Chaperone"
* 2008: Drama League Award nomination for Distinguished Performance - "Young Frankenstein"
* [http://www.donshewey.com/theater_articles/sutton_foster.html Article on her role in "Thoroughly Modern Millie"]
* [http://www.americantheatrewing.org/downstagecenter/detail/sutton_foster Sutton Foster] - "Downstage Center" interview at American Theatre Wing.org, May 2005
* [http://www.americantheatrewing.org/seminars/detail/performance_04_03 Performance] - "Working in the Theatre Seminar" video at American Theatre Wing.org, April 2003
* [http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/interactive/video/index.html#f TonyAwards.com Interview with Sutton Foster]
* [http://simplysutton.proboards56.com/index.cgi Active Sutton Fan Forums]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sutton Foster — Sutton Foster, née le 18 mars 1975, est une actrice, chanteuse, et danseuse américaine principalement connue pour ses rôles dans des comédies musicales. Elle a joué dans plusieurs productions avant de devenir vraiment connue :… … Wikipédia en Français
Sutton (surname) — Sutton is a surname, and may refer to:*Antony C. Sutton (1925–2002), historian and author *Andy Sutton (born 1975), Canadian ice hockey player *Bertine Sutton (1886 1946), British air marshal *Chris Sutton (born 1973), English footballer *Don… … Wikipedia
Foster (surname) — Foster is a surname, ultimately derived from the name of a Frankish saint, Vedast, also known as Foster or St. Foster . [ [http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/0206.htm#veda Saint Patrick s Church: Saints of February 6 ] ] It may refer to:*Abby… … Wikipedia
Hunter Foster — Infobox actor name = Hunter Foster imagesize = 200px caption = Hunter Foster with John Treacy Egan of The Producers birthname = birthdate = birth date and age|1969|6|25 birthplace = North Carolina, U.S. spouse = Jennifer Cody (1998 present)… … Wikipedia
Don Sutton — Sutton in 2008. Pitcher Born: April 2, 1945 (1945 04 02) (age 66) C … Wikipedia
Charles Sutton Medal — The Charles Sutton Medal is awarded to the player adjudged Best and Fairest for the Western Bulldogs. Scott West holds the record at the club, winning seven medals, followed by Gary Dempsey, with six. It is named after 1950 winner Charlie Sutton … Wikipedia
Tom Sutton — Tom Sutton, aka Sean Todd (April 15, 1937, North Adams, Massachusetts May 2002, Amesbury, Massachusetts) was an American comic book artist best known for his work at Marvel Comics and on Warren Publishing s line of black and white horror comics… … Wikipedia
Charlie Sutton — Personal information Full name … Wikipedia
Charles Manners-Sutton, 1st Viscount Canterbury — The Right Honourable The Viscount Canterbury GCB, PC Portrait of Lord … Wikipedia
Andy Sutton — Kanada Andy Sutton Personenbezogene Informationen Geburtsdatum 10. März … Deutsch Wikipedia