St Giles-without-Cripplegate


St Giles-without-Cripplegate

Infobox church
name = St. Giles-without-Cripplesgate
fullname =
color =



imagesize =
caption = Current photo of St. Giles-without-Cripplegate
landscape =
denomination = Anglican, earlier Roman Catholic
diocese =
parish =
division =
subdivision =
founded_date =
founder =
architect =
style =
constructed_date =
dedicated_date =
closed_date =
demolished_date =
bishop =
priest =
archdeacon =
dean =
provost =
rector =
canon =
prebendary =
curate =
chaplain =
vicar =
deacon =
abbot =
minister =
seniorpastor =
pastor =
address = City of London
country = United Kingdom
phone =
website =

St Giles-without-Cripplegate is an Anglican church in the City of London, located within the modern Barbican complex [ "The City of London Churches" Betjeman,J Andover, Pikin, 1967 ISBN 0853721122] . When built it stood without (that is, outside) the city wall, near the Cripplegate. The church is dedicated to St Giles, patron saint of beggars and cripples. It is one of the few medieval churches left in the City of London, having survived the Great Fire of 1666.

There was a Saxon church on the site in the 11th century but by 1090 it had been replaced by a Norman one. In 1394 it was rebuilt in the style ["The Old Churches of London" Cobb,G: London, Batsford, 1942] .

The church has been badly damaged by fire on three occasions: In 1545, in 1897 ["The Visitors Guide to the City of London Churches" Tucker,T: London, Friends of the City Churches, 2006 ISBN 0955394503] and during the Second World War in 1940. The bombs of the Second World War completely gutted the church but it was restored using the plans of the reconstruction of 1545.

Notable people associated with the church

* John Field, curate of the church, c. 1570
* John Foxe, author of the "Book of Martyrs", surrogate for Crowley c. 1565 and buried in the church, 1587
* Robert Crowley, rector of St Giles's, friend of Foxe, printer, poet, social gospeller, and Protestant polemicist, buried in the church, 1588
* Lancelot Andrewes, rector of the church after Crowley
* Sir Martin Frobisher, captain who fought against the Spanish Armada, buried in the church, 1594
* Nathaniel Eaton, first schoolmaster of Harvard College, christened, 1610
* Oliver Cromwell, military commander and Lord Protector of England during the Commonwealth, married in the church, 1620
* Nicholas Tooley, Shakespearean Actor, Sharer of Globe Theatre Buried 5 June, 1623
* John Speed, author of the Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine, buried in the church, 1629
* Ben Jonson, first poet Laureate, buried in the church, 1637Fact|date=June 2007
* John Milton, author of "Paradise Lost", buried in the church, 1674
* John Bunyan, author of "Pilgrim's Progress", attended the church
* Daniel Defoe, author of "Robinson Crusoe", died in the parish, 1731
* Rick Wakeman, keyboardist who recorded his track "Jane Seymour" at the church, and who inadvertently contributed £2000 to the church's upkeep.
* Roger Townshend was buried in the church in 1590.

Layout of the Church


*1. John Milton buried here in 1674
*2. The altar from St. Luke's, Old Street which was dismantled in the 1960s due to subsidence.
*3. The east window. Designed by the Nicholson Studios, following the pattern of the original medieval window.
*4. Sedilia (where the priest sat and piscina of the medieval church.
*5. Display cabinet containing the historic treasures of Cripplegate.
*6. John Foxe, author of "The Book of Martyrs" is buried here.
*7. Plaque commemorating Sir Martin Frobisher, explorer and sea Captain.
*8. Bust of John Speed, map maker and historian.
*9. Statue of John Milton [ "London:the City Churches” Pevsner,N/Bradley,S New Haven, Yale, 1998 ISBN 0300096550]
*10. The organ. From St. Luke's, Old Street [Pearce,C.W. “Notes on Old City Churches: their organs, organists and musical associations” London, Winthrop Rogers Ltd 1909]
*11. Bust of Daniel Defoe, author of "Robinson Crusoe" and John Milton.
*12. Busts of Oliver Cromwell and John Bunyan, outhor of "Pilgrims Progress".
*13. Portrait of Dr. William Nicholls, the first Rector of St. Luke's Church and Vicar of St. Giles'.
*14. The West Window - shows the coats of arms of the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Bishop of London, Milton, Cromwell and Frobisher.
*15. The font - from St. Luke's Church.
*16. The Cripplegate Window which celebrates the centenary of the charity The Cripplegate Foundation.
*17. Bust of Sir William Staines, Lord Mayor of London in 1801. [St Giles's Church Guide]

ee also

*List of churches and cathedrals of London

External links

* [http://www.stgilescripplegate.com/ St Giles's Church website]
* [http://www.stgilesorgan.com/ St Giles's Organ Project]

References


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • St Giles-without-Cripplegate — 51.518716666667 0.094041666666669 Koordinaten …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • (St.) Giles' without Cripplegate —    On the south side of Fore Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (P.O. Directory).    First mention: Grant by Aelmund to the canons of St. Paul of his church of St. Giles built outside the walls, temp. H. I. (H. MSS. Com. 9th Rep. 62).    Stow… …   Dictionary of London

  • (St.) Giles' without Cripplegate Churchyard —    On the south and west sides of the church. In Cripplegate Ward Without, bounded by the City Wall on the south.    Enlarged 1662, a piece of ground near Crowder s Well being taken for a burial ground (Malcolm, III. 272).    Almshouses in the… …   Dictionary of London

  • (St.) Giles' without Aldersgate —    Parish mentioned 23 H. VIII. 1532 (L. and P. H. VIII. V. 449).    Qy. = St. Giles without Cripplegate? …   Dictionary of London

  • (St.) Giles' Hospital, without Cripplegate —    A hospital of the French order founded temp. Edward I., afterwards suppressed with other alien priories, etc., and the lands given to the brotherhood of St. Giles, founded by Henry V. for relief of the poor (S. 303), the house being situated… …   Dictionary of London

  • Conduit without Cripplegate —    In Fore Street, not far from the east end of St. Giles Church (S. 18, 303, 432).    Made in 1478 by the executor of William Eastfield (S. 110).    Water brought from Highbery by John Middleton, one of the executors (18 and 303).    Castellated …   Dictionary of London

  • Cripplegate — Coordinates: 51°31′08″N 0°05′38″W / 51.519°N 0.094°W / 51.519; 0.094 …   Wikipedia

  • Cripplegate Churchyard —    See St. Giles without Cripplegate Churchyard …   Dictionary of London

  • Cripplegate —    One of the City Gates in the north wall of the City leading into Fore Street. In Cripplegate Ward.    Earliest mention: Cripelesgate. Ciryclegate. Cirpilegate in De Institutis Lundonie, Laws of Ethelred, c. 978 1016 (Thorpe, I. 301).… …   Dictionary of London

  • Cripplegate Ward —    One of the twenty six wards of the City, and lying both within and without the City Wall. It lies on the north side of the City, between Bassieshaw and Cheap Wards east, Bread Street Ward south, Farringdon Ward Within, Aldersgate Wards Within… …   Dictionary of London


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.