- George Gilbert Scott
Sir George Gilbert Scott (
13 July 1811– 27 March, 1878) was an English architectof the Victorian Age, chiefly associated with the design, building and renovation of churches, cathedrals and workhouses.
Gawcott, Buckinghamshire, Scott was the son of a clergyman and grandson of the biblical commentator Thomas Scott. He studied architecture as a pupil of James Edmestonand, from 1832 to 1834, worked as an assistant to Henry Roberts. He also worked as an assistant for his friend Sampson Kempthorne. [http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/buildings/Scott.shtml]
In about 1835, Scott took on
William Bonython Moffattas his assistant and later (1838-1845) as partner. Over the next 10 years Scott and Moffatt designed over 40 workhouses. A notable example was the Akroydonmodel housing scheme.
Meanwhile, he was inspired by
Augustus Puginto join the Gothic revivalof the Victorian era, his first notable work in this style being the Martyrs' Memorialon St Giles in Oxford(1841). Later, Scott went beyond copying mediaeval English gothic for his "Victorian Gothic" or "Gothic Revival" buildings, and began to introduce features from other styles and European countries as evidenced in his glorious Midland red-brick construction, the 'Midland Grand Hotel' at London's St Pancras Station, from which approach Scott believed a new style might emerge.
Between 1864 and 1876, the
Albert Memorial, designed by Scott, was constructed in Hyde Park. It was a commission on behalf of Queen Victoriain memory of her beloved husband, Prince Albert.
Scott was awarded the RIBA's
Royal Gold Medalin 1859. Knighted in 1872, he died in 1878 and was buried in Westminster Abbey.
George Gilbert Scott Juniorand John Oldrid Scott, and grandson Giles Gilbert Scott, were also prominent architects. He was also related to the architect Elisabeth Scott. Scott's grandfather was Thomas Scott (commentator).
* "Recollections" (London, 1879)
His projects include:
Brackley, Kettering, Northampton, Oundleand Towcester(all in Northamptonshire), Billericayand Dunmow( Essex), Windsor (Berkshire), Boston (Lincolnshire), Amershamand Buckingham( Buckinghamshire), Williton( Somerset), Guildford( Surrey), Penzanceand Redruth( Cornwall).
*two lodge houses at
Great Barr Hall, near Birmingham(pre-1863)
*Holy Trinity Church, Hartshill, Stoke on Trent (1842)
*School and Masters House,Hartshill, Stoke on Trent (1848)
*Astbury School and Masters House Congleton (1848)
*Workers Houses, Hartshill, Stoke on Trent (1842-48)
St. John the Baptist Church, Beeston(1842)
St Mark's Church, Worsley, Greater Manchester (1844-6)
*All Saints church,
Ryde, Isle of Wight(1872)
*All Souls church,
Haley Hill, Halifax (1859)
Brighton College, Sussex (1848-1866)
Clifton Hampden Bridge, Oxfordshire (1867)
*St Denys Church,Southampton (1868)
Hafodunos, Llangernyw, North Wales (1861-1866)
Leeds General Infirmary
Lanhydrock House, near Bodmin, Cornwall(1857), formal gardens assisted by Richard Coad
*St George's Minster, Doncaster (1858)
Hall Cross School's library in Doncaster
*St James' Church, Cradley,
HerefordshireChancel (1868) "The Buildings of England: Herefordshire", Nikolaus Pevsner, 1963 p106 ISBN 0-14-071025-6]
*St John's Church,
Eastnor, HerefordshireChurch (1852) and Monument (1855). "The Buildings of England: Herefordshire", Nikolaus Pevsner, 1963 p122-123 ISBN 0-14-071025-6]
*The Cathedral of St John the Baptist in St John's, Newfoundland (1847)
St Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh (Episcopal)
Edvin Loach, Herefordshire(?1860). "The Buildings of England: Herefordshire", Nikolaus Pevsner, 1963 p126 ISBN 0-14-071025-6]
Hanwell, London W7 (1841). ['Hanwell: [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=22345&strquery=Hanwell Churches] ', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 230-33. Date accessed: 21 July 2007.]
*St Mary's Church,
*St Mary The Virgin,
Tedstone Delamere, HerefordshireChancel (1856-7). "The Buildings of England: Herefordshire", Nikolaus Pevsner, 1963 p299 ISBN 0-14-071025-6]
Timsbury, Somerset[cite web | title=Church of St. Mary the Virgin | work=Images of England | url=http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/search/details.aspx?id=32876 | accessdate=2007-09-29]
*St Matthew's Church.
Yiewsley, Hillingdon, 1859
St Matthias Church, Richmond, 1858
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershiredesigned (1875) started (1881) by son John Oldrid Scott, never finished and partly demolished. "The Buildings of England: Worcestershire", Nikolaus Pevsner, 1968 p271 ]
McManus Galleries- Formerly the Albert Institute, Dundee
*St Nikolai, Hamburg
St Pancras Station, London (1865)
*St Nicholas's, Newport, Lincoln,
Bushley, Worcestershire. Roof (1856). "The Buildings of England: Worcestershire", Nikolaus Pevsner, 1968 p113 ]
*St Peter and St Paul, Priory Church
Leominster, HerefordshireQuatrefoil piers (1872-9). "The Buildings of England: Herefordshire", Nikolaus Pevsner, 1963 p226 ISBN 0-14-071025-6]
*St Peter and St Paul, Buckingham
ParishChurch Buckingham, Buckinghamshire. Additions to the original 1777 church including chancel, buttresses, porch, roof and navealterations (1862-1878). Work continued over the years by his second son John Oldrid Scottand grandson Charles Marriott Oldrid Scott. "The Book of Buckingham", John Clarke, 1984, p145 ISBN 0-86-023072-4]
*St Peter's Church,
*St John The Baptist Church, Busbridge, Godalming, Surrey
Sandbach School, Sandbach, Cheshire.
*Workers' housing at
Akroydon, Halifax (1859)
Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Whitehall, London (1861-1868)
Albert Memorial, London (1862); in the podium frieze, one of the images of architects, sculpted by John Birnie Philipshows Scott himself.
*the main building of the new campus of the
University of Glasgow(1870), often called the "Gilbert Scott Building" in his honour.
* [http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Towcester/Towcester.shtml Towcester Union Workhouse] (1836)
*The Cathedral Church of St Mary the Virgin, Glasgow (1873)
Christ Church, Bradford-on-Avon(additions) (1875)
Clarkson Memorialin Wisbech. Scott first put forward designs in 1875, but work did not start until 1880. The eventual design was a slightly altered version of Scott's original design.
*St Paul's Church, Fulney,
Spalding, Lincolnshire(completed building 1880) [see Ayscoughfee Hallmuseum, Spalding]
*All Souls, Blackman Lane,
Leeds(1879) - his last work, large lancet-style church
*St Stephen's Church, Higham Green, Suffolk (1861)
St. Thomas of Canterbury Church, Chester(1872)
St. Thomas's Church, Huddersfield(1859)
Walton Hall, Warwickshire(1858)
*Christ Church Cathedral, Christchurch, New Zealand
Hereford Screen, (1862), choir screenfrom Hereford Catheral, now restored and in the Victoria and Albert Museum
Scott was involved in major restorations of medieval church architecture.
St. Mary's Church, Temple Balsall1849
*St Mary's Church, Nottingham (1850s)
Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Newark-on-Trent(1850s)
*St John the Baptist Church,
Aconbury, HerefordshireRestoration (1863) "The Buildings of England: Herefordshire", Nikolaus Pevsner, 1963 p63 ISBN 0-14-071025-6]
*St John the Baptist Church,
Bromsgrove, WorcestershireRestoration of Norman and 13th century church (1858) "The Buildings of England: Worcestershire", Nikolaus Pevsner, 1968 p109 ]
*St John the Baptist Church,
Upton Bishop, HerefordshireRestoration (1862) "The Buildings of England: Herefordshire", Nikolaus Pevsner, 1963 p304 ISBN 0-14-071025-6]
Yarpole, HerefordshireRestoration of chancel(1864) "The Buildings of England: Herefordshire", Nikolaus Pevsner, 1963 p327 ISBN 0-14-071025-6]
*St Mary's Island church on the
Orchardleigh Estate(1878) [cite web | title=Church of St. Mary, causeway bridge, and gates | work=Images of England | url=http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/search/details.aspx?id=267143 | accessdate=2007-11-20]
*St Peter's Church, Prestbury (1879-1881)
*St Andrews Parish Church,
Church of St Mary the Less, Cambridge
* Priory Church of St. Mary,
*Hereford east side (1856-63) "The Buildings of England: Herefordshire", Nikolaus Pevsner, 1963 p146 ISBN 0-14-071025-6]
Bath Abbey, Pershore Abbey, Great Malvern Priory, St Margaret's, Westminster, St Mary's of Charity in Faversham, which was restored (and transformed, with an unusual spire and unexpected interior) by Scott in 1874, and Dundee Parish Church (St Mary's), and designed the chapels of Exeter College, Oxford, St John's College, Cambridgeand King's College London. He also designed St Paul’s Cathedral, Dundee. Lichfield Cathedral's ornate West Front was extensively renovated by Scott from 1855 - 1878. He restored the Cathedralto the form he believed it took in the Middle Ages, working with original materials where possible and creating imitations when the originals were not available. It is recognised as some of his finest work.
* cite web |publisher=
Victoria and Albert Museum
title= Sir George Gilbert Scott
* cite web |publisher=
title=George Gilbert Scott's workhouse designs
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
George Gilbert Scott — Das … Deutsch Wikipedia
George Gilbert Scott, Jr. — George Gilbert Scott, Jr. (1839 ndash; 1897) was an English architect. He was the son of Sir George Gilbert Scott, brother of John Oldrid Scott and father of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and Adrian Gilbert Scott, all also architects.Among the… … Wikipedia
George Gilbert Scott — [George Gilbert Scott] (1811–78) an English ↑architect. He was one of the leading figures of the ↑Gothic Revival in England, and designed ↑St Pancras station and the ↑Albert Memorial in London, as well as restoring … Useful english dictionary
George Gilbert Scott — ➡ Scott (II) * * * … Universalium
Gilbert Scott — may refer to several of a family of British architects:* George Gilbert Scott (1811 1878), who was principally known for his architectural designs for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and St Pancras Station * George Gilbert Scott, Jr. (1839… … Wikipedia
Scott, Sir George Gilbert — ▪ British architect born July 13, 1811, Gawcott, Buckinghamshire, Eng. died March 27, 1878, London English architect, one of the most successful and prolific exponents of the Gothic Revival style during the Victorian period. Scott was … Universalium
Scott, George Gilbert — (1811–78) Architect. Scott was the grandson of Thomas Scott, the author of the Calvinist Commentary on the Bible. He was committed to the gothic style of ecclesiastical architecture and he is remembered for designing the Martyrs’ Memorial… … Who’s Who in Christianity
SCOTT, SIR GEORGE GILBERT — English architect, born in Buckinghamshire, son of Scott the commentator; was the builder or restorer of buildings both in England and on the Continent after the Gothic, and wrote several works on architecture … The Nuttall Encyclopaedia
SCOTT, George Gilbert — (1811 1878) See GOTHIC REVIVAL ARCHITECTURE … Historical Dictionary of Architecture
Giles Gilbert Scott — Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, OM, FRIBA (November 9 1880 – February 8 1960) was an English architect known for his work on such buildings as Liverpool Cathedral and Battersea Power Station. He came from a family of architects. He was the son of George … Wikipedia