- National Trust
National Trust most commonly refers to an organization dedicated to preserving the cultural or environmental treasures of a particular geographic region. They generally operate as private non-profit organizations, although some receive considerable support from their national government. The first such organization was the National Trust for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty, which is the National Trust of England, Wales and Northern Ireland, formed in 1895 and operating as a charitable organisation. Other national trusts have largely been modeled on this original example.
Other notable National Trusts include:
- An Taisce, the National Trust for Ireland, established in 1948.
- Bahamas National Trust
- Barbados National Trust, founded in 1960.
- Bermuda National Trust, established in 1970.
- Din l-Art Helwa, the national trust of Malta
- Fondo per l'Ambiente Italiano, the national trust of Italy
- Heritage Canada
- Japan National Trust
- Manx National Trust
- Australian Council of National Trusts, federation of six state and two territorial National Trusts.
- National Trust for the Cayman Islands
- National Trust of Fiji
- National Trust of Guernsey
- National Trust for Historic Preservation, founded in 1949 by congressional charter in the United States
- National Trust Community Investment Corporation, a private for-profit subsidiary of the American organisation.
- National Trust for Jersey
- National Trust for Scotland, established in 1931.
- Queen Elizabeth II National Trust — New Zealand (open spaces)
- Saint Helena National Trust
- Saint Lucia National Trust
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Trust — for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty Manoir de Barrington Court – propriété gérée et entretenue par le NT, il est partiellement loué à une société de décoration et de création de mobilier ancien … Wikipédia en Français
National trust — for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty Manoir de Barrington Court – propriété gérée et entretenue par le NT, il est partiellement loué à une société de décoration et de création de mobilier ancien … Wikipédia en Français
National Trust — n the National Trust a British organization which owns and takes care of many beautiful old buildings and areas of countryside in England and Wales … Dictionary of contemporary English
National Trust — Hinweisschild auf den National Trust Naturschutzpark in Windermere (Cumbria) Der National Trust for Places of Historic Interest or Natural Beauty (deutsch etwa: „Nationale Treuhandschaft für Orte von historischem Interesse oder Naturschönheit“),… … Deutsch Wikipedia
National Trust — (abbr the NT) a British organization for preserving old buildings and beautiful countryside so that people can visit and enjoy them. Its full name is the National Trust for Places of Historic Interest and Natural Beauty. It began as a small… … Universalium
National Trust — noun an organization concerned to preserve historic monuments and buildings and places of historical interest or natural beauty; founded in 1895 and supported by endowment and private subscription • Syn: ↑NT • Regions: ↑United Kingdom, ↑UK, ↑U.K … Useful english dictionary
national trust — in the UK, an organisation tasked with preserving historic and/or architecturally important buildings as well as areas of beautiful landscape. Inherent in this goal is that the preservation allows continued access by the general public to… … Geography glossary
national trust — organization set up to preserve historic sites (British) … English contemporary dictionary
National Trust — noun (singular) a British organization which owns and takes care of many beautiful places and historic buildings in England and Wales … Longman dictionary of contemporary English
National Trust for Scotland — Motto A place for everyone Formation 1931 Legal status Trust Headquarters Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingd … Wikipedia