- Wakefield Line
The Wakefield line is the name given to one of the rail services in the West Yorkshire Metro/South Yorkshire P.T.E. area of northern England. The service connects
Leedsand Wakefieldwith Sheffieldand Doncaster. The section of the line between Leeds and Doncaster forms part of the East Coast Main Line. The local stopping service is operated by Northern Rail; it is supplemented by frequent InterCity services between Leeds, Wakefield and either Doncaster or Sheffield. Long distance services using this line as part of longer journeys are run by GNER, East Midlands Trainsand CrossCountry. Parts of the line over which the Wakefield Line trains run are also used by the Huddersfield and Pontefract Lines.
At the time of the 1923 Grouping the line was owned by different railway companies:
* Leeds Central station - Wakefield: Great Northern Railway (GNR). Wakefield station was jointly owned by the GNR and
Great Central Railways (GCR). This section is part of the main Leeds - London line.
* Wakefield - Doncaster: "West Riding and Grimsby Joint Railway" (WRGJt) (joint GNR/GCR ownership).
* "Moorthorpe Junction" (near
South Elmsall- Swinton: "Swinton & Knottingley Joint Railway" (MidR/NER).
* Swinton - Sheffield
Leeds Central - Wakefield Westgate
At Outwood there were junctions with two joint undertakings:
* "East & West Yorkshire Union": a short line connecting the GN/MidR main lines via Rothwell
MethleyJoint Railway": [joint owners: GNR/ Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway(L&YR)/North Eastern Railway (NER)] . The line connected to various lines in the Castlefordarea
Wakefield - Doncaster
Some stations on this line may have plans to be reopened.
Sandal and Agbrigg railway stationClosed to passengers 5 November 1957; reopened 1988.
* Hare Park & Crofton (Closed) between here and Nostell were two junctions connecting with L&YR and GCR lines
* Nostell Open, but renamed Fitzwilliam.
HemsworthClosed as of 2005.
* here is a junction with the
Hull and Barnsley Railway(HBR)
* here there is a junction where the Wakefield Line service to Sheffield branches south.
HampoleClosed as of 2005 (further junctions with the HBR)
CarcroftClosed as of 2005
andal - Sheffield
Part of this section is also worked as the Dearne Valley Line:
* "Frickley railway station" branch to Frickley Colliery
* Thurnscoe was "Hickleton & Thurnscoe"
* here at "Hickleton Junction" the line called the Dearne Valley Railway (worked by the L&Y) had a junction with the route
* here was a junction with the GCR Penistone - Doncaster line.
* SwintonFrom here, towards Sheffield, the Midland and Great Central had parallel lines following the course of the River Don.
* The lines of the competing companies were so close that in 1965 BR built a new junction complex at Aldwarke; the Wakefield line now follows the former GCR line to reach the reopened Rotherham Central. Intermediate stations were to be found at:
Parkgate & Aldwarke railway station(Closed 1951)
Rotherham Road railway station(Closed)
* From Rotherham Central, taking a new curve, the line joins the Sheffield and Rotherham Railway.
* From Grimesthorpe Junction the line leaves the S&R and takes the line built in 1870 in order to reach the, then, new Sheffield station of the Midland Railway.
* Attercliffe Road
Metro (West Yorkshire)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Wakefield — For the larger local government district, see City of Wakefield. For other uses, see Wakefield (disambiguation). Coordinates: 53°40′48″N 1°29′31″W / … Wikipedia
Wakefield Westgate railway station — Infobox UK station name = Wakefield Westgate code = WKF | manager = National Express East Coast locale = Wakefield borough = City of Wakefield pte = West Yorkshire (Metro) zone = 3 usage0405 = 1.760 usage0506 = 1.846 usage0607 = 1.877 years =… … Wikipedia
Wakefield Regional Council — South Australia Location of Wakefield Regional Council Population … Wikipedia
Wakefield, Bronx — Wakefield is a low income working class section of the northern borough of the Bronx in New York City, bounded by the New York city line with Westchester County or 243rd street to the north,and 222nd Street to the south, and the Bronx River,… … Wikipedia
Wakefield — Koordinaten 53° 41′ N, 1° 30′ W … Deutsch Wikipedia
Wakefield–Calle 241 (línea White Plains Road) — Wakefield – 241st Street Estación del Metro de Nueva YorkPlantilla:NYCS infobox leg … Wikipedia Español
Wakefield Township, Michigan — Township … Wikipedia
Wakefield, Washington, D.C. — Wakefield is a neighborhood in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D.C., bounded by Albemarle Street NW to the south, Nebraska Avenue NW to the west, and Connecticut Avenue to the east. It is served by the Van Ness UDC and Tenleytown AU station … Wikipedia
Wakefield Mystery Plays — The Wakefield or Towneley Mystery Plays are a series of thirty two mystery plays based on the Bible most likely performed around Corpus Christi day in (again, most likely) the town of Wakefield, England during the late Middle Ages until 1576. It… … Wikipedia
Wakefield, Massachusetts — Infobox Settlement official name = Wakefield, Massachusetts nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = 250px map caption = Location in Middlesex County in Massachusetts mapsize1 = map caption1 = subdivision type = Country… … Wikipedia