No. 414 Squadron RCAF


No. 414 Squadron RCAF
414 Black Knight Squadron
414crest.jpg
Squadron badge
Information
Role
Aircraft flown Westland Lysander, Curtis Tomahawk, North American Mustang, Supermarine Spitfire, Avro Lancaster, Douglas Dakota, Canadair F-86 Sabre, Avro CF-100 Canuck, Canadair CT-33 Silver Star, Dassault Falcon 20, McDonnell Douglas CF-101 Voodoo, McDonnell Douglas EF-101 Voodoo (electronic warfare (EW) variant), Canadair CC-144 Challenger, Canadair CE-144 Challenger (EW variant), Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jet
Wing 3 Wing Bagotville
Base situated in Ottawa, ON
Motto TOTIS VIRIBUS (With all our might)
Call Sign
History
Date founded 13 August 1941
Badge A medieval knight wearing black armor mounted on a horse on a cloud
Notable Battle Honours Defence of Britain 1942-43, Fortress Europe 1942-44, Dieppe, France and Germany 1944-45, Normandy 1944, Arnhem, Rhine, Biscay 1943
Previous Designation

No. 414 Squadron RCAF was a squadron associated with the Royal Canadian Air Force and later with Canadian Forces Air Command.

History

On 13 August 1941, No 414 Army Co-operation Squadron was formed at RAF Croydon, England, flying Lysander and Curtis Tomahawk aircraft. On 28 June 1943 the squadron's name was changed to 414 Fighter Reconnaissance Squadron to reflect its role. Throughout the Second World War the squadron was based at numerous airfields in England and in continentental Europe flying Spitfire and Mustang aircraft. During this period, the squadron provided photo reconnaissance, intelligence and ground attacks for both the Dieppe Raid and the allied Invasion of Europe. It accounted for 29 enemy aircraft destroyed and 11 damaged, 76 locomotives and 12 naval vessels destroyed. After the war ended, the squadron disbanded at Lüneburg, Germany on 7 August 1945.

On 1 April 1947, No 414 Photographic Squadron was reformed at RCAF Station Rockcliffe. The squadron used the Douglas Dakota to photograph 323,754 square miles (838,520 km2) of Canada's North. When this task was completed it was disbanded on 1 November 1950.

On 1 November 1952 No 414 Fighter Squadron reformed at RCAF Station Bagotville. The following summer on 24 August 1953 as part of "Leap Frog IV" the squadron moved to 4 Wing Baden-Soellingen flying the Mark IV Sabre. Four years later on 14 July 1957 the Squadron disbanded to make room for the arrival of 419 Squadron flying the CF-100.

On 5 August 1957, the squadron reformed at RCAF Station North Bay where it operated as an all-weather fighter squadron flying the CF-100 and the CF-101 until 30 June 1964 when it was disbanded once more.

The squadron then reformed on 15 September 1967 at RCAF Station St Hubert in its new role as an electronic warfare squadron flying the CF-100. In August 1972 the squadron moved to CFB North Bay where it remained for the next twenty years flying the CF-100, CC-117 and EF-101. In 1992 the squadron was split into two parts with one part going to CFB Comox as No 414 Composite Squadron and the other part going to CFB Greenwood as 434 Composite Squadron. In 1993 the squadron changed its name to No 414 Combat Support Squadron when it was equipped with the CT-133 Silver Star. The Squadron was disbanded in 2002 when its duties were contracted out to a civilian company.

On 7 December 2007 approval was received for the squadron to stand up once more, this time as 414 EWS (Electronic Warfare Support) Squadron. Belonging to 3 Wing Bagotville, the squadron is based in Ottawa and is composed of military Electronic Warfare Officers who fulfill the combat support role, flying on civilian contracted aircraft.[1]

The squadron was re-formed at Gatineau Airport, Quebec, on 20 January 2009 to operate the Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jet provided by Top Aces Consulting[2].

Badges

References


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.