Lock-Keeper is a high-level security solution based on the simple "Physical Separation" idea. It is a hardware-based device and works like a sluice to provide secure data exchange between the physically separated networks. Based on the simple principle that “the ultimate method to secure a network is to disconnect it", the Lock-Keeper can entirely prevent session-based and protocol-based network attacks (i.e. so-called "online attack") by physically isolating your sensitive network from outside intruders.
Both the principle and architecture of Lock-Keeper are quite simple. It does not replace the functionality of the conventional
firewallbut is generally used in combination with firewall to enhance the security of the protected network. Moreover, other content scanning mechanisms, e.g. anti-virus software, can also be flexibly integrated with Lock-Keeper to prevent some application-level attacks, also referred to as "offline attacks".
The guarantee of the highest-level security, the simplicity of the architecture, and the free scalability of the integrated data checking are the primary strengths of the Lock-Keeper solution. Thanks to these benefits, the Lock-Keeper can totally satisfy the security requirements from most public authorities, national defence institutions or companies with a highly sensitive IT infrastructure, such as energy suppliers, telecommunication companies, transportation companies or air trafﬁc control, etc.
Currently, a research project led by Prof. Dr.
Christoph Meinelis carried out at Hasso Plattner Institute(HPI). Several new and interesting R&D works, listed as following, are proposed and efficiently performed.
* Formalization of the "Physical Separation" concept.
* Lock-Keeper Hardware&Software Optimization.
* Implementing Lock-Keeper SDE Using Virtual Machine.
* Design of new Lock-Keeper applications, e.g. Lock-Keeper Web Services Module.
* Secure Database Replication Module through a WS-Based Messaging Framework.
* Lock-Keeper-based Online Police Station.
* Deployment of Lock-Keeper in Service-Oriented-Architecture.
* Research and Development of intelligent gateway device using the Lock-Keeper technology.
* Development of the Lock-Keeper Cluster System.
* Authentication and access control based on the Lock-Keeper technology.
* Performance measurement and comparison between the Lock-Keeper and other similar security solutions.
* [http://www.lock-keeper.de Lock-Keeper Project Portal]
* [http://www.hpi-web.de/~meinel/projects/lock-keeper Research work around Lock-Keeper] at HPI
* [http://www.actisis.com/de/Lock-Keeper.html Actisis GmbH] : Consulting about Lock-Keeper
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
lock-keeper — lockˈ keeper noun The attendant at a lock • • • Main Entry: ↑lock * * * ˈlock keeper [lock keeper lock keepers] noun a person who is in charge of a ↑lock on a ↑ … Useful english dictionary
lock keeper — UK US noun [countable] [singular lock keeper plural lock keepers] someone whose job is to operate a lock on a river or canal Thesaurus: people who guard or look after places or people … Useful english dictionary
lock-keeper — lock keepers N COUNT A lock keeper is a person whose job is to be in charge of and maintain a lock or group of locks on a canal … English dictionary
lock keeper — lock .keeper n someone whose job is to open and close the gates of a ↑lock on a ↑canal … Dictionary of contemporary English
lock keeper — lock ,keeper noun count someone whose job is to operate a LOCK on a river or CANAL … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
Lock-keeper — Produktfoto Beim Lock Keeper handelt es sich um eine patentgeschützte Umsetzung des Air Gap Konzepts zur physikalischen und logischen Trennung von Computernetzwerksegmenten. Anders als eine Firewall wird durch das System eine Netzwerktrennung auf … Deutsch Wikipedia
Lock keeper — A Lock keeper, or lock operator looks after a canal or river lock, operating it and if necessary maintaining it or organizing its maintenance. Traditionally, the lock keeper lived on site, often in a small purpose built cottage. The occupation is … Wikipedia
Lock-Keeper — Produktfoto Beim Lock Keeper handelt es sich um eine patentgeschützte Umsetzung des Air Gap Konzepts zur physikalischen und logischen Trennung von Computernetzwerksegmenten. Anders als eine Firewall wird durch das System eine Netzwerktrennung auf … Deutsch Wikipedia
lock keeper — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms lock keeper : singular lock keeper plural lock keepers someone whose job is to operate a lock on a river or canal … English dictionary
lock keeper — n. worker who is in charge of a lock on a waterway (canal, river, channel, etc.), lockmaster … English contemporary dictionary