- Cleveland County, Arkansas
Cleveland County, ArkansasCleveland County courthouse in Rison, Arkansas
Location in the state of Arkansas
Arkansas's location in the U.S.
Founded April 17, 1873 Seat Rison Area
598.80 sq mi (1,551 km²)
597.74 sq mi (1,548 km²)
1.06 sq mi (3 km²), 0.18%
15/sq mi (5.6/km²)
Cleveland County is a county located in the U.S. state of Arkansas. Its population was 8,689 at the 2010 U.S. census. It is included in the Pine Bluff, Arkansas Metropolitan Statistical Area. The county seat is at Rison.
The Arkansas legislature established Dorsey County as Arkansas's 71st county on April 17, 1873, naming it for Stephen W. Dorsey, the U.S. Senator from Arkansas. When he was indicted for defrauding the Post Office, they renamed it on March 5, 1885, for Grover Cleveland, the newly elected President of the United States.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 598.80 square miles (1,550.9 km2), of which 597.74 square miles (1,548.1 km2) (or 99.82%) is land and 1.06 square miles (2.7 km2) (or 0.18%) is water.
- U.S. Highway 63
- U.S. Highway 79
- U.S. Highway 167
- Highway 8
- Highway 11
- Highway 15 (now US 63)
- Highway 35
- Grant County & Jefferson County (north)
- Lincoln County (east)
- Drew County (southeast)
- Bradley County (south)
- Calhoun County (southwest)
- Dallas County (west)
Historical populations Census Pop. %± 1890 11,362 — 1900 11,620 2.3% 1910 13,481 16.0% 1920 12,260 −9.1% 1930 12,744 3.9% 1940 12,570 −1.4% 1950 8,956 −28.8% 1960 6,944 −22.5% 1970 6,605 −4.9% 1980 7,868 19.1% 1990 7,781 −1.1% 2000 8,571 10.2% 2010 8,689 1.4% 
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,571 people, 3,273 households, and 2,513 families residing in the county. The population density was 14 people per square mile (6/km²). There were 3,834 housing units at an average density of 6 per square mile (2/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 84.79% White, 13.22% Black or African American, 0.32% Native American, 0.14% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.68% from other races, and 0.83% from two or more races. 1.62% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,273 households out of which 34.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.70% were married couples living together, 9.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.20% were non-families. 21.40% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.60 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.20% under the age of 18, 7.90% from 18 to 24, 27.70% from 25 to 44, 24.70% from 45 to 64, and 13.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 95.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $32,405, and the median income for a family was $38,164. Males had a median income of $31,282 versus $21,172 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,362. About 11.40% of families and 15.20% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.50% of those under age 18 and 15.70% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
Census Designated Places
- New Edinburg
Townships in Arkansas are the divisions of a county. Each township includes unincorporated areas and some may have incorporated towns or cities within part of their space. Townships have limited purposes in modern times. However, the US Census does list Arkansas population based on townships (often referred to as "minor civil divisions"). Townships are also of value for historical purposes in terms of genealogical research. Each town or city is within one or more townships in an Arkansas county based on census maps. The townships of Cleveland County are listed below with the town(s) and/or city that are fully or partially inside them listed in parentheses. 
- Hurricane (CDP Rye)
- Kingsland (Kingsland)
- Miller (CDP Woodlawn)
- Redland (CDP New Edinburg)
- Rison (Rison)
- White Oak (CDP Staves)
- Monroe Schwarzlose, a turkey farmer and political maverick who polled 31 percent of the vote against Governor Bill Clinton in the 1980 Democratic primary. He won in Cleveland County.
- Youell Swinney, the only major suspect in the Texarkana Phantom slayings, hailed from Cleveland County. He was the son of a Baptist minister.
- Johnny Cash was born in Kingsland.
- Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant was born in Moro Bottom.
- Eric Grider-Songwriter/Singer raised near Rowell, recorded albums in Nashville and Memphis.
- Mike Vinson-Raised in Pansy. Member of the United States Powerlifting Team. Won a Gold Medal at the World Championships in Moscow, Russia- 1990.
- Sen Charles Bishop (R) Ala Was born in Moro Bottoms
- Tyrell Johnson plays safety in the NFL was born and raised in Rison.
Joe Johnson Atlanta Hawks
County officials for 2007-2009
- County Judge: Gary Spears
- County Sheriff: Joe Paul King
- County Clerk: Sharon Gray
- County Treasurer: B. Tollison
- County Tax Collector: M. Jacks
- County Tax Assessor: R. Morgan
All six county officials are Democrats.
Gary Spears beat Bobby Hyatt in a run-off election. Current County Judge Vernon Dollar did not make the run-off. Gary Spears garnered the endorsement of another county judge candidate, Raymond Redmond, when Redmond withdrew from the Judge's race.
Treasurer Tollison beat Ray Redmond, Jr. in the Primary election. Redmond was one of the youngest county-wide candidates on the ballot in the United States during the 2006 primary election. He was 22 years old and a Democrat.
Collector Jacks beat Findley in the Primary Election by an overwhelming majority.
All other candidates were unopposed.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ http://www.census.gov/population/www/censusdata/cencounts/files/ar190090.txt
- ^ http://factfinder2.census.gov
- ^ http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu/
- ^ Based on 2000 census data
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ US Census Bureau. 2011 Boundary and Annexation Survey (BAS): Cleveland County, AR (Map). http://www2.census.gov/geo/pvs/bas/bas11/st05_ar/cou/c05025_cleveland/BAS11C20502500000_000.pdf. Retrieved 20110814.
- ^ http://www.census.gov/geo/www/maps/DC10_GUBlkMap/cousub/dc10blk_st05_cousub.html#C
Grant County and Jefferson County Dallas County Lincoln County Cleveland County, Arkansas Calhoun County Bradley County Drew County Municipalities and communities of Cleveland County, Arkansas Cities CDPs
New Edinburg | Rye | Staves | Woodlawn
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cleveland County (Arkansas) — Das Cleveland County Courthouse in Rison, seit 1977 im NRHP gelistet Verwaltung … Deutsch Wikipedia
National Register of Historic Places listings in Cleveland County, Arkansas — Location of Cleveland County in Arkansas This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Cleveland County, Arkansas. This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of… … Wikipedia
Cleveland County Courthouse (Arkansas) — Cleveland County Courthouse U.S. National Register of Historic Places … Wikipedia
Cleveland County — is the name of several counties in the United States: Cleveland County, Arkansas, named for Grover Cleveland, the twenty second and twenty fourth president of the United States Cleveland County, North Carolina, named for Benjamin Cleveland, a… … Wikipedia
Cleveland County — Es gibt in den Vereinigten Staaten drei Countys mit dem Namen Cleveland County: Cleveland County (Arkansas) Cleveland County (North Carolina) Cleveland County (Oklahoma) Diese Seite ist eine … Deutsch Wikipedia
Cleveland County Courthouse — may refer to: Cleveland County Courthouse (Rison, Arkansas), listed on the NRHP in Arkansas Cleveland County Courthouse (Shelby, North Carolina), listed on the NRHP in North Carolina Cleveland County Courthouse (Norman, Oklahoma), listed on the… … Wikipedia
Cleveland County Courthouse — ist die Bezeichnung mehrerer Courthouses in den Vereinigten Staaten: Cleveland County Courthouse (Arkansas), NRHP Nr. 77000248 Cleveland County Courthouse (North Carolina), NRHP Nr. 79001693 Cleveland County Courthouse (Oklahoma), NRHP Nr.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bradley County (Arkansas) — Verwaltung US Bundesstaat: Arkansas Verwaltungssitz: Warren Adresse des Verwaltungssitzes: Bradley County Courthouse 100 East Cedar Street Warren, AR 71671 Gründung: 18. Dezember 1840 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Grant County, Arkansas — Location in the state of Arkansas … Wikipedia
Drew County, Arkansas — Location in the state of Arkansas … Wikipedia