- Mickey Jupp
Mickey Jupp Birth name Michael Jupp Born 6 March 1944
Worthing, Sussex, England
Genres Rock, pub rock, rhythm and blues Occupations Musician, guitarist, songwriter Instruments Guitar, piano Years active 1963–present Labels Bell Records, Vertigo, Stiff Associated acts The Orioles, Legend,
Mickey Jupp Band
Jupp played in several Southend bands after leaving art college in 1962 and was in the R&B group the Orioles (1963 – late 1965), which included Mo Witham (guitar, vocals) and Bob Clouter (drums), but the band were never recorded.
After a break from music, Jupp formed Legend in 1968, who were signed to Bell Records. They released an eponymous album Legend, playing a mix of pop, rockabilly and blues rock styles using no electric instruments. The original band: Nigel Dunbar (drums), Chris East (guitar, vocals and harmonica) and Steve Geere (string bass and vocals), who recorded this album with Jupp (guitar, piano and vocals), split soon afterwards, so Jupp assembled a new lineup, with Mo Witham on guitar, John Bobin on bass and Bill Fifield on drums. A recording deal with Vertigo produced a second album, in 1970, using the same lineup. Confusingly, this album was also called Legend, but is usually referred to as the "Red Boot" album, after the cover picture. Fifield left to join T.Rex (where he was re-named Bill Legend, after the band he had left, by Marc Bolan), and was replaced on drums by Bob Clouter who had played with Jupp in The Orioles. This lineup recorded the second Vertigo album Moonshine issued in 1971 (and re-released on CD in 2007), after which the band broke up.
Returning to Southend, Jupp pursued a low-key existence until the pub-rock revolution (spearheaded by local bands such as Dr. Feelgood, for whom he wrote the hit single "Down at the Doctors") created a fresh interest in rock and roll. He signed to Stiff Records in 1978, and they initially released a compilation album of the first three Legend albums, which was also called Legend, giving three albums with this title. This was followed by his first solo album, Juppanese, an album in two different styles. The first half was recorded with Rockpile and produced by Nick Lowe, and is in a simple raw style, whereas the second half, produced by Gary Brooker of Procol Harum, is slicker (there was a long-standing connection with Procol Harum; their bassist David Knights produced the second Legend single).
The follow-up album Long Distance Romancer was produced by Godley and Creme, and has a slick, highly produced, sound, which was generally seen as less successful.
Jupp went on to release a further seven solo albums, some appearing on Swedish and German labels. His songs have been recorded by Rick Nelson, Elkie Brooks, The Judds and Chris Farlowe, Delbert McClinton, Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Gary Brooker, The Hamsters, Dr. Feelgood and The Searchers.
In February 2009 the early Legend lineup of Chris East, Mo Witham, John Bobin and Bob Clouter (but NOT Mickey Jupp) self-released a new home-made album, Never Too Old To Rock, featuring a selection of Jupp–East songs written over the previous twenty years.
- Legend Bell SBLL 115 (re-released 2007 Repertoire Records - REP5066)
- Legend (known as the 'Red Boot' album) Vertigo 6360019
- Moonshine Vertigo 6360063
- "Nature's Radio" Mickey Jupp Cat No : ARIST 136 Format : 7" Single
- Juppanese Mickey Jupp Cat No : SEEZ 10 Format : Album Allmusic link
- Legend Mickey Jupp Cat No : GET 2 Format : Album
- Oxford Line LLP 5083 AP Format : Album
- "Rooms In Your Roof" Mickey Jupp Cat No : CHS 2388 Format : 7" Single
- "Don't Talk To Me" Mickey Jupp Cat No : GFR 001 Format : 7" Single
- Some People Can't Dance Mickey Jupp Cat No : AMLH 68535 Format : Album Allmusic link
- "Jogging" Mickey Jupp Cat No : AMS 8222 Format : 7" Single
- "Modern Music" Mickey Jupp Cat No : AMS 8208 Format : 7" Single
- "Boxes and Tins" Mickey Jupp Cat No : AM 145 Format : 7" Single
- Shampoo, Haircut and Shave Mickey Jupp Cat No : AMLH 68559 Format : Album Allmusic link
- "Stormy Sunday Lunchtime" Mickey Jupp Cat No : AM 128 Format : 7" Single
- "Only for Life" Mickey Jupp Cat No : TOWT 55 Format : 12" Single
- "Claggin' On" Mickey Jupp Cat No : WFS 40 Format : 7" Single
- "X" Mickey Jupp Cat No : WF 041C Format : Album Allmusic link
- As The Yeahs Go By Mickey Jupp Cat No : FOAM 2 Format : Album
- Juppanese/Long Distance Romancer Mickey Jupp Cat No : LICD 921188 Format : Compact Disc Set
- Mickey Jupp - Live At The BBC (John Peel sessions and in concerts 1978-9) Hux Records HUX053 Allmusic link
- Never Too Old To Rock : Private release - Format : CD
- Favourites : Gallery Records : MJF 1 - Format : CD
- Red Boot re-released – Repertoire Records - REPUK1064.
- ^ Allmusic biography of Jupp by Stephen Thomas Erlewine Retrieved 12 February 2009
- ^ Allmusic review of Juppanese by Stephen Thomas Erlewine, Retrieved 11 February 2009
- ^ Allmusic review of Long Distance Romancer by Stephen Thomas Erlewine, Retrieved 11 February 2009
- ^ Donaldclarkmusicbox.com
- ^ Announcement on MickyJupp.Com (Official Website), Retrieved 11 March 2009
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mickey Jupp — (* 6. März 1944 in Worthing, England) ist ein britischer Musiker. Er ist Songschreiber, spielt Gitarre und Piano. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Bandgeschichte 2 Diskografie 2.1 The Orioles … Deutsch Wikipedia
Jupp — ist eine Variante des Vornamens Josef sowie der Familienname von Mickey Jupp (* 1944), britischer Rockmusiker … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bo Diddley — à Prague en 2005. Nom Ellas Otha Bates McDaniel Naissance … Wikipédia en Français
Labour of Lust — Studio album by Nick Lowe Released June 9, 1979 … Wikipedia
Open All Hours (album) — Open All Hours Studio album by The Hamsters Released 2004 Genre … Wikipedia
Down at the Doctors — Single by Dr. Feelgood from the album Private Practice … Wikipedia
Nick Lowe and His Cowboy Outfit (album) — Nick Lowe and His Cowboy Outfit Studio album by Nick Lowe Released … Wikipedia
Down by the Jetty — est le premier album du groupe britannique de pub rock Dr. Feelgood sorti en janvier 1975. Produit par Vic Maile, il est enregistré entre le 8 juin et le 27 novembre 1974 au Rockfield Studio au Pays de Galles. Bien qu enregistré en… … Wikipédia en Français
Nick Lowe & His Cowboy Outfit (album) — Infobox Album Name = Nick Lowe His Cowboy Outfit Type = studio Longtype = Artist = Nick Lowe Released = 1984 Recorded = Genre = Length = Label = Radar Records (UK) Columbia Records (US) Producers = Nick Lowe, Colin Fairley, Paul Bass, Elvis… … Wikipedia
They Live By Night (album) — Infobox Album Name = They Live By Night Type = live Artist = The Hamsters Released = 2002 Label = Rockin Rodent Recordings Genre = Blues Rock Length = 72:19 Producer = Jerry Stevenson Reviews = *BBC Yorkshire… … Wikipedia