- Emerson Electric Company
Emerson Electric Type Public (NYSE: EMR)
S&P 500 Component
Industry Conglomerates Predecessor Emerson Electric Manufacturing Co. Founded 1890 Founder(s) John W. Emerson Headquarters Ferguson, MO, USA Area served Worldwide Key people David N. Farr, Chairman & CEO
Edward L. Monser, President & COO
Frank Dellaquilla, SVP & CFO
Products process control systems
Revenue $ 21.039 billion (2010) Operating income $ 3.292 billion (2010) Net income $ 2.164 billion (2010) Total assets $ 22.843 billion (2010) Total equity $ 9.952 billion (2010) Employees 127,700 (2010) Divisions List of divisions Website Emerson.com
Emerson Electric Company (NYSE: EMR) is a major multinational corporation headquartered in Ferguson, Missouri, United States. This Fortune 500 company manufactures products and provides engineering services for a wide range of industrial, commercial, and consumer markets.
Emerson was established in 1890 in St. Louis, Missouri (USA) as Emerson Electric Manufacturing Co. by Civil War Union veteran John Wesley Emerson to manufacture electric motors using a patent owned by the Scottish-born brothers Charles and Alexander Meston. In 1892 it became the first to sell electric fans in the United States. It quickly expanded its product line to include electric sewing machines, electric dental drills, and power tools.
During World War II under the leadership of Stuart Symington, it became the world's largest manufacturer of airplane armament. Symington went on to become the first United States Secretary of the Air Force from 1947-1950, a Democratic U.S. Senator from Missouri from 1953-1976, and a candidate for the Presidency of the United States in 1960.
In 1954 W.R. "Buck" Persons was named company president. Under his leadership, Emerson diversified its business portfolio by acquiring 36 companies. When he retired in 1973, the company had 82 plants, 31,000 employees and $800 million in sales.
Charles F. Knight served as CEO from 1973 to 2000, and was chairman from 1974 to 2004. His tenure was marked by development of a rigorous planning process, new product and technology development, acquisitions and joint ventures, and international growth.
David N. Farr has served as CEO since 2000 and as chairman since 2004.
On January 30, 2008, top executives from Emerson had meetings with the Costa Rican President and government authorities to open an operation for Latin America based in Costa Rica. They are planning to hire more than 500 engineers in a period of 4 years.
Emerson products, solutions and services go to market under seven business platforms:
- Emerson Process Management- product technology as well as engineering and project management services for precision control, monitoring and asset optimization of plants that produce power or that process such items as oil, natural gas and petrochemicals, food and beverage, pulp and paper, pharmaceuticals and municipal water and wastewater systems.
- Emerson Network Power- provides power backup systems, embedded power, precision cooling, and connectivity technologies for data centers, telecommunications networks, and other applications.
- Emerson Climate Technologies- global manufacturer of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration solutions for residential, industrial and commercial applications, including Copeland Scroll compressors and White-Rodgers thermostats.
- Emerson Industrial Automation- global manufacturer of alternators, electric motors and drives, electrical distribution devices, mechanical power transmission, fluid automation and ultrasonic joining solutions.
- Emerson Appliance Solutions- manufacturer of food waste disposers (InSinkErator brand) and technology solutions used in washers and dryers.
- Emerson Storage Solutions- manufacturer of residential, healthcare, foodservice and commercial storage systems, including ClosetMaid and Metro brands.
- Emerson Professional Tools- power and hand tools, wet/dry vacs, and tool storage equipment for contractors and do-it-yourselfers, including RIDGID brand.
- Emerson Motor Technologies
- Emerson Innovation Center
- Emerson is ranked No. 120 on the Fortune 500 list of America's largest corporations, as ranked by revenues.
- Emerson is ranked No. 443 on FORTUNE's Global 500 list of the world's largest companies, as ranked by revenues.
- Emerson was awarded approximately 750 patents worldwide in 2010.
- Emerson is ranked No. 104 on the Information Week magazine's annual listing of the most innovative users of information technology in the United States (September 2010).
- Emerson has 240 manufacturing locations, of which approximately 160 are located outside the United States.
- Emerson was No. 44 on the Electronic Design magazine's ranking of the top 50 employers of electronic designers that have the most influence on today's engineering careers (June 2009).
- Emerson is ranked No. 5 in Electronics Industry of FORTUNE's World's Most Admired Companies 2011.
- Emerson is ranked No. 254 in Forbes World's Biggest Companies 2010.
Researchers at the University of Massachusetts Amherst have identified Emerson as the 97th largest corporate producer of air pollution in the United States, down from its previous rank of 56th. Major pollutants indicated by the study include nickel compounds, manganese, diisocyanate, and lead.
28 September 2007 - It was announced that Emerson will acquire Motorola’s Embedded Communications Computing (ECC) business for US$ 350 million, expected to be completed by the end of 2007. Other acquisitions by Emerson include:
- ASCO Valve
- Astec Power
- Artesyn Technologies Inc.
- Bristol Babcock
- Computer Power Systems Corp.
- Control Techniques
- Damcos A/S
- Daniel Measurement & Control
- Decision Management International, Inc. (DMI)
- Ericsson Energy Systems
- Fisher Controls
- Kenonic Controls (Calgary)
- Knaack Manufacturing Company
- Knurr AG
- Liebert Corporation
- Lionville Systems Inc.
- Micromotion Inc.
- NORPAC Controls
- Orion CEM (Atlanta)
- PC&E, Inc. (St. Louis)
- Rosemount Inc.
- Roxar ASA - acquisition announced 2-Mar-2009
- Saab Marine Electronics
- Shafer Valve Company
- Skil (sold to Bosch in 1996)
- Stratos International, Inc.
- System Plast
- The Automation Group
- Western Forge (sold to Ideal Industries in 2009)
North American distributors
- Control Southern Inc. - Atlanta, GA, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee
- LAURENTIDE Controls - Kirkland, Quebec, Canada
- NORPAC Controls - Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
- Spartan Controls - Calgary, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie, and Lloydminster, Alberta. Regina and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Fort St. John, British Columbia. Northwest Territories and Nunavut, Canada
- Lakeside Process Controls - Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
- Vinson Process Controls - Lewisville, Texas
- PCE Pacific, Inc. - Bothell, Washington, Anchorage, Alaska, Vancouver, Washington, Sandy, Utah
- Caltrol - Las Vegas, Nevada
- Applied Control Equipment - Centennial, Colorado
- Puffer-Sweiven - Stafford, Texas
- Experitec - Chesterfield, Missouri, Decatur, Illinois, Woodward, Oklahoma, Lenexa, Kansas, Wichita, Kansas, Liberal, Kansas
- R.S. Stover Company - Marshalltown, Iowa
- John H. Carter Co., Inc. - New Orleans, Louisiana, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Lafayette, Louisiana, Lake Charles, Louisiana, Monroe, Louisiana, Mobile, Alabama
- Scallon Controls, Inc. - Beaumont, Texas
NBC Heroes lawsuit
On October 2, 2006, Emerson, the company that makes the popular InSinkErator garbage disposals, filed suit in federal court against NBC regarding a scene that appeared in the pilot episode of the network's TV series Heroes. The scene depicted Claire Bennet reaching into an active garbage disposal to retrieve a ring, and severely injuring her hand in the process. Emerson's suit claims the scene "casts the disposer in an unsavory light, irreparably tarnishing the product" by suggesting that serious injuries will result "in the event consumers were to accidentally insert their hand into one."
Emerson asked for a ruling barring future broadcasts of the pilot, which is available on NBC's website and has already aired on NBC Universal-owned cable networks USA and Sci Fi. It also sought to block NBC from using any Emerson trademarks in the future. Emerson is an appliance market competitor with General Electric, the owner of NBC.
On February 23, 2007, the case against NBC was dropped. NBC Universal and Emerson Electric reached an agreement to settle the lawsuit outside of court.
- ^ David Farr | Emerson Executive Leadership Team
- ^ Edward L. Monser | Emerson Executive Leadership Team
- ^ Frank Dellaquilla | Emerson Executive Leadership Team
- ^ "Contact Us." Emerson Electric Company. Retrieved on August 18, 2009.
- ^ Edwards, Greg. "$60 million in data centers coming online at Emerson." St. Louis Business Journal. Friday August 29, 2008. Retrieved on August 18, 2009.
- ^ "Ferguson city, Missouri." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on August 18, 2009.
- ^ http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-07-26/business/sfl-emersons-latin-american-hiring_1_new-jobs-greater-fort-lauderdale-alliance-headquarters
- ^ 
- ^ Emerson to Acquire Motorola’s Embedded Communications Computing Business
- ^ Goetzl, David (2007-02-23). "Emerson Drops Product Placement Case Against NBC". MediaDailyNews. http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=55990. Retrieved 2007-02-23.
- Emerson Electric Company website
- Liebert Corporation - Divisional website
- Asco Power Technologies - Divisional website
- Emerson Climate Technologies - Divisional Website
- Digital Scroll Compressors
Hand tool manufacturers CurrentBondhus · Bradford Tool Industries · Buck Bros. · Channellock · Cooper Hand Tools (Crescent, Lufkin, Xcelite) · Cornwell Tools · Danaher Corporation (Allen, Armstrong Tools, Easco Hand Tools, GearWrench, K-D Tools, Matco Tools) · Digitool Solutions · Disston Saw Works · Eklind · Emerson (Ridgid) · Empire Level · Estwing · Felo · FEW · Fiskars (Gerber) · Gardner Bender · Gedore · Gray Tools · Hazet · Heyco · Ideal Industries (Pratt-Read, SK Hand Tools, Western Forge) · Klein Tools · Knipex · KUKKO · Leatherman · Lie-Nielsen Toolworks · Lisle Corporation · Newell Rubbermaid (Irwin, Lenox) · Park Tool · PB Swiss · Saltus · Sandvik · Snap-on (Bahco, CDI Torque Products, J.H. Williams Tool Group) · Stahlwille · Stanley Black & Decker (Blackhawk, Bostitch, Facom, Mac Tools, Proto, Sidchrome, Stanley Hand Tools) · Textron (Greenlee, Klauke, Paladin Tools) · Techtronic Industries (Milwaukee) · Thorsen Manufacturing · Tomé Fèteira · Toptul · Vaughan · Victorinox (Wenger) · Wera Tools · Wescott · Wiha Tools · Witte Tools · Wright Tool HistoricHinsdale · Indestro · New Britain Machine Company · Utica Tools (Bonney Forge, Herbrand) House brands Power tool manufacturersAltendorf · Cooper Power Tools (Gardner Denver) · Bosch (Dremel, Hawera, RotoZip, Skil) · Chang Type Industrial Co., Ltd. (Delta Machinery) · Emerson (Ridgid) · Fein · Festool · Flex-Elektrowerkzeuge · Harbor Freight Tools · Hilti · Hitachi · Husqvarna (McCulloch, Poulan) · Ingersoll Rand · Mafell · Makita (Dolmar) · Metabo · Panasonic · Illinois Tool Works (Miller, Paslode) · SawStop · Stanley Black & Decker (Bostitch, DeVilbiss Air Power, DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Virax) · Stihl · Techtronic Industries (AEG, Homelite, Milwaukee, Ryobi)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Emerson Electric Company — Emerson Unternehmensform Aktiengesellschaft ISIN=US2910111044 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Emerson Electric Company — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Emerson. Emerson Electric Company Création 1890 Fondateurs John W. Emerson … Wikipédia en Français
Emerson Electric — Emerson Unternehmensform Aktiengesellschaft Gegründet 1890 Unternehmenssitz St. Louis … Deutsch Wikipedia
Emerson Electric — У этого термина существуют и другие значения, см. Emerson. Emerson … Википедия
Baltimore Gas and Electric Company Building — U.S. National Register of Historic Places … Wikipedia
Emerson — is a name and may refer to: People*Ralph Waldo Emerson, American transcendentalist *Emerson (surname) list of people with the surname Emerson *Emerson (given name) list of people with the given name Emerson *Keith Emerson A British keyboard… … Wikipedia
Emerson (surname) — Emerson as a surname may refer to:In Literature *Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803–1882), American writer philosopher, and transcendentalist *Claudia Emerson (born 1957), American professor and Pulitzer Prize winning poet *Earl Emerson (born 1948),… … Wikipedia
Emerson — ist der Name von Personen: Allen Emerson, US amerikanischer Informatiker Bill Emerson (1938–1996), US amerikanischer Politiker Billy „The Kid“ Emerson (* 1925), US amerikanischer Bluesmusiker David Emerson (* 1945), kanadischer Politiker Douglas… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Emerson — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Sommaire 1 Prénom 2 Patronymes 3 … Wikipédia en Français
Emerson VT0950 — The VT0950 was a television remote control produced in the late 1980s to early 1990s by Emerson Electric Company. The remote featured regular channel buttons and buttons for VCRs. One great feature of this remote control was the quick view button … Wikipedia