- Jean Kilbourne
Jean Kilbourne, Ed.D. (born
January 4, 1943) is a social theorist known for her video documentarieson the subject of alcohol and tobacco advertising, and the representation of women in advertising. She is a graduate of Wellesley College.
Among her lectures are "Killing Us Softly: Advertising's Image of Women", "Still Killing Us Softly", and "Killing Us Softly 3".
She has also produced several videos:
* Killing Us Softly 3, about advertising's image of women (with
Sut Jhally(1999), [http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1993368502337678412 full video] .
* Spin the Bottle: Sex, Lies, and Alcohol, created (with
Jackson Katz) (2004) (2004), [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqHYeCLBG6s (trailer)] .
* Slim Hopes: Advertising & the Obsession with Thinness (with
Sut Jhally(1995), [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7143sc_HbU trailer] .
* Pack of Lies: the Advertising of Tobacco (with
According to her official biography, she has lectured at more than half of the colleges and universities in America.
*"Can't Buy My Love: How Advertising Changes the Way We Think and Feel".
*"Advertising's Influence on Media Content" an essay from the book "Perspectives on Contemporary Issues" by Katherine Anne Ackley.
* [http://www.jeankilbourne.com/bio.html Jean Kilbourne biography] on her official website
* [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1239798/ Jean Kilbourne] on the
Internet Movie Database
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.