- Everybody's All-American (film)
name = Everybody's All-American
caption = Theatrical Release Poster
producer = Executive Producer:
Taylor Hackford Ian Sander Laura Ziskin
Alan C. Blomquist
Thomas Rickman(screenplay) Frank Deford(novel)
Jessica Lange Dennis Quaid Timothy Hutton John Goodman
James Newton Howard
Warner Bros. Pictures Warner Bros. UK
November 4, 1988
runtime = 127 min.
language = English
gross = $12,600,000
imdb_id = 0095119
The film covers 25 years in the life of college football hero Gavin Grey (
Dennis Quaid). When he marries campus sweetheart Babs Rogers ( Jessica Lange) and is picked up by the pros, a happily-ever-after denouement is predicted by friends and family. It is clear from the outset, however, that Grey is going to have to do a lot of growing up over the next few decades. Babs does her best to keep in step with her husband's career and mood swings, and in so doing becomes the "parent" in the family. John Goodmanalso stars as Grey's best buddy, and Timothy Huttonis on hand for a romantic-triangle subplot.
* Filming was stopped for weeks when
Dennis Quaidhad his collarbone broken by Tim Foxof the New England Patriotsduring filming. Footage of Quaid rolling in pain on the sidelines of the snow game appears in the finished film.
* A key scene featuring a candlelight parade involving large numbers of extras was filmed, on the steps of the
Louisiana State Capitol, when snow started falling. Despite the beauty of the scene, director Taylor Hackfordelected to reshoot the scene, as snow in Baton Rougein November was such a rare event that he was worried it would be seen as a special effects goof in the film.
* The game scenes were shot in LSU's Tiger Stadium during the halftimes of actual LSU games. The goalposts were altered to resemble the vintage "H" posts as needed during filming. Vertical posts will moved in place for the bottom portion of the H, and a multi-colored fabric covering was used to conceal the center upright. Upon completion of filming, the vertical posts and fabric were retracted so as not to interfere with the LSU games.
* Some of the filming of the football scenes took place during halftime of the 1987 LSU-Alabama game. The producers wanted to continue shooting some scenes following the game, so they requested that the LSU fans remain after the game so that they could finish the scenes. However, Alabama won in an upset, and ten minutes after the game, the only fans still in the bleachers were wearing crimson, forcing the producers to finish shooting the following week.
* Michael Apted was all set to direct
Thomas Rickman's script in 1982 until Warner Brothers baulked at the $16 million price tag, leading man Tommy Lee Jonesand the fact that American football movies never do any business overseas. During its 6 years in development hell, Warren Beatty, Robert Redfordand Robert De Niroall circled the project.
*The work has been said to be a fictionalization of the life of
Billy Cannon, who was a famous college football player at Louisiana State University. Cannon won the Heisman Trophyand went onto a professional football career with the Houston Oilersand, then the Oakland Raiders. After he finished football, Cannon became a dentistand was later prosecuted for counterfeiting. However, Frank Deford, author of the book, denies that there is any connection between his work and the real-life Dr. Cannon.
*The film contains a much more hopeful and upbeat ending than the book, where Gavin takes his own life after trying to kill Babs as well.
* [http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/lange.html Jessica Lange Website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Everybody's All-American — Données clés Réalisation Taylor Hackford Scénario Thomas Rickman D après le roman de Frank Deford Acteurs principaux Jessica Lange Dennis Quaid Timothy Hutton Sociétés de production Warne … Wikipédia en Français
American Film Institute Awards — 10e cérémonie des AFI Awards Organisateur Amer … Wikipédia en Français
American Film Institute — Logo des American Film Institute Das American Film Institute (AFI) ist eine unabhängige und gemeinnützige US amerikanische Organisation, die 1965 vom National Endowment for the Arts ins Leben gerufen wurde, um „die Fortentwicklung der filmischen… … Deutsch Wikipedia
American Beauty (film) — American Beauty Theatrical release poster Directed by Sam Mendes … Wikipedia
American modernism — like modernism in general is a trend of thought that affirms the power of human beings to create, improve, and reshape their environment, with the aid of scientific knowledge, technology and practical experimentation, and is thus in its essence… … Wikipedia
All That (season 10) — All That, Season 10 Country of origin United States No. of episodes 12 Broadcast Original channel Nickelodeon, TEENick (block) … Wikipedia
American Dreamer (film) — American Dreamer is a 1984 American film starring JoBeth Williams and Tom Conti. It was directed by Rick Rosenthal from a script by Ann Biderman, David Greenwalt and Jim Kouf. An American housewife wins a trip to Paris in a mystery writing… … Wikipedia
Everybody Loves Raymond — Promotional logo This file is a candidate for speedy deletion. It may be deleted after Sunday, 20 November 2011. Format Sitcom Created by … Wikipedia
Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? — Studio album by The Cranberries … Wikipedia
American Idol (season 9) — American Idol Season 9 Broadcast from January 12, 2010–May 26, 2010 Judges Simon Cowell Ellen DeGeneres Kara DioGuardi Randy Jackson Host(s) Ryan Seacrest … Wikipedia