Songlines, also called Dreaming tracks by Indigenous Australians within the animist indigenous belief system, are paths across the land (or, sometimes the sky) which mark the route followed by localised 'creator-beings' during the Dreaming. The paths of the songlines are recorded in traditional songs, stories, dance, and painting.
A knowledgeable person is able to navigate across the land by repeating the words of the song, which describe the location of landmarks, waterholes, and other natural phenomena. In some cases, the paths of the creator-beings are said to be evident from their marks, or petrosomatoglyphs, on the land, such as large depressions in the land which are said to be their footprints.
By singing the songs in the appropriate sequence, Indigenous people could navigate vast distances, often travelling through the deserts of Australia's interior. The continent of Australia contains an extensive system of songlines, some of which are of a few kilometres, whilst others traverse hundreds of kilometres through lands of many different Indigenous peoples — peoples who may speak markedly different languages and have different cultural traditions.
Since a songline can span the lands of several different language groups, different parts of the song are said to be in those different languages. Languages are not a barrier because the melodic contour of the song describes the nature of the land over which the song passes. The rhythm is what is crucial to understanding the song. Listening to the song of the land is the same as walking on this songline and observing the land.
In some cases, a songline has a particular direction, and walking the wrong way along a songline may be a sacrilegious act (e.g. climbing up Uluru where the correct direction is down). Traditional Aboriginal people regard all land as sacred, and the songs must be continually sung to keep the land "alive".
Molyneaux & Vitebsky (2000, p. 30) note that the Dreaming Spirits "also deposited the spirits of unborn children and determined the forms of human society," thereby establishing tribal law and totemic paradigms.
Examples of Songlines
- The Yolngu people of Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory tell the story of Barnumbirr, a creator-being associated with the planet Venus, who came from the island of Baralku in the East, guiding the first humans to Australia, and then flew across the land from East to West, naming and creating the animals, plants, and natural features of the land.
- The Yarralin people of the Victoria River Valley venerate the spirit Walujapi as the Dreaming Spirit of the black-headed python. Walujapi is said to have carved a snakelike track along a cliff-face and deposited an impression of her buttocks when she sat establishing camp. Both signs are currently discernible.
- The Rainbow Serpent followed a path across Northern Australia, creating rivers and mountains as she went, and stopping at especially sacred places, such as Ubirr. A song, created by her, is still sung by Indigenous Australians, and describes her journey, and the features along it.
- The Native Cat Dreaming Spirits who are said to have commenced their journey at the sea and to have moved north into the Simpson Desert, traversing as they did so the lands of the Aranda, Kaititja, Ngalia, Kukatja, Unmatjera and Ilpara. Each peoples sing the part of the Native Cat Dreaming relating to the songlines for which they are bound in a territorial relationship of reciprocity.
- In the Sydney region, because of the soft Sydney sandstone, valleys often end in a canyon or cliff, and so travelling along the ridge lines was much easier than travelling in the valleys. Thus the songlines tend to follow the ridge lines, and this is also where much of the sacred art, such as the Sydney Rock Engravings, are located. In contrast, in many other parts of Australia, the songlines tend to follow valleys, where water may be more easily found.
- Songlines have been linked to aboriginal art sites in the Wollemi National Park in New South Wales.
Descriptions of Songlines
- "...the labyrinth of invisible pathways which meander all over Australia and are known to Europeans as 'Dreaming-tracks' or 'Songlines'; to the Aboriginals as the 'Footprints of the Ancestors' or the 'Way of the Law'.
- Aboriginal Creation myths tell of the legendary totemic being who wandered over the continent in the Dreamtime, singing out the name of everything that crossed their path - birds, animals, plants, rocks, waterholes - and so singing the world into existence."''
- Chatwin, Bruce (1987) The Songlines, published by Jonathan Cape, and Vintage, 1998. ISBN 0 09 976991 3
- Lawlor, Robert (1991) Voices of the First Day: Awakening in the Aboriginal dreamtime. Rochester, Vermont: Inner Traditions International, Ltd. ISBN 0-89281-355-5
- Mathrani, Vandana (2002) Epic Journeys: The Great Migrations (accessed: Thursday, March 15, 2007)
- Molyneaux, Brian Leigh & Piers Vitebsky (2000). Sacred Earth, Sacred Stones: Spiritual Sites And Landscapes, Ancient Alignments, Earth Energy. London, England: Duncan Baird Publishers. ISBN 1-903296-07-2.
- Popp, T. (1997) Footprints on Rock, Sydney: Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council. ISBN 0 7313 1002 0
- Tacon, Paul (2005) Chains of Connection, Griffith Review, Edition 9 ISSN 1448-2924
- Watson, Helen (1989) Singing the Land, Signing the Land. Deakin University Press, Geelong Victoria 3217, 1989. ISBN 0-7300-0696-4
- Bradley, John and Yanyuwa families (2010) Singing Saltwater Country: Journey to the Songlines of Carpentaria. Allen and Unwin. ISBN 978-74237-241-9
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Songlines — Die Songlines der Aborigines ergeben eine unsichtbare, mythische Landkarte Australiens, die per Gesang von Generation zu Generation weitergetragen wird und die Grundlage der Wanderungen (Walkabouts) der australischen Urbevölkerung sind. Diese… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Songlines — Сонглайнс Songlines Жанр музыкальный фильм Режиссёр Годфри Реджио Олаф Бессенбахер Сюзанна Бьер Рики Эхолетте Александр Кайдановский Мао Кавагучи Кристоф Лоенштайн Вольфганг Лоенштайн Слободан Пешич Ян Прингл Алекс Пройас В главных ролях … Википедия
Songlines (disambiguation) — Songlines are paths crossing the countryside in Australian mythology Songlines or songline may also be:* Norfolk Songline: Walking the Peddlars Way , a children s book by Hugh Lupton * Songline , a track on the album Dreamtime Return by American… … Wikipedia
Songlines (magazine) — Songlines is the name of a British based magazine covering music from traditional and popular to contemporary and fusion, featuring artists from all around the globe, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe.Songlines is published eight times a year and… … Wikipedia
Songlines (Alphaville video) — Songlines is a video released by the German band Alphaville in 1990, created during the production of Alphaville s 1989 album The Breathtaking Blue . Nine acclaimed directors (or directing teams) were given a different track from The Breathtaking … Wikipedia
Songlines (album) — Infobox Album | Name = Songlines Type = Album Artist = The Derek Trucks Band Released = February 21, 2006 Recorded = 2005 Genre = Blues, Rock, Soul, World Fusion Length = 53:52 Label = Columbia Records Producer = Jay Joyce Reviews = *Allmusic… … Wikipedia
Songlines Live — Infobox music DVD Name = Songlines Live Type = Live DVD Artist = The Derek Trucks Band Released = July 11, 2006 Recorded = January 28, 2006 in Chicago, IL Genre = Blues, Rock, World Fusion Length = 138:44 Label = Legacy Producer = Blake Budney,… … Wikipedia
Songlines (видеосборник) — Сонглайнс Songlines Жанр музыкальный фильм Режиссёр Годфри Реджио Олаф Бессенбахер Сюзанна Бьер Рики Эхолетте Александр Кайдановский Мао Кавагучи Кристоф Лоенштайн Вольфганг Лоенштайн Слободан Пешич Ян Прингл Алекс Пройас В главных ролях … Википедия
The Songlines — infobox Book | name = The Songlines title orig = translator = image caption = author = Bruce Chatwin illustrator = cover artist = country = United Kingdom language = English series = genre = Fiction Non fiction publisher = Vintage Classics… … Wikipedia
Nikolaus Brass — (* 1949 in Lindau (Bodensee)) ist ein deutscher Komponist. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Leben und Schaffen 2 Ehrungen 3 Kompositionen 3.1 … Deutsch Wikipedia