- 1957 VFL season
Infobox VFL Premiership Season
year = 1957
teams = 12
premiers = AFL Mel
minor premiers = AFL Mel
top goal scorer =
Jack Charles Collins(AFL Foo)
brownlow medalist =
Brian Gleeson(AFL StK)Results and statistics for the VFL/AFLseason of 1957.
In 1957, the VFL competition consisted of twelve teams of 18 on-the-field players each, plus two substitute players, known as the 19th man and the 20th man. A player could be substituted for any reason; however, once substituted, a player could not return to the field of play under any circumstances.
Teams played each other in a home-and-away season of 18 rounds; matches 12 to 18 were the "home-and-way reverse" of matches 1 to 7.
Once the 18 round home-and-away season had finished, the 1957 VFL "Premiers" were determined by the specific format and conventions of the "Page-McIntyre system".
Umpire - Nash
* The 1957 VFL Premiership team was Melbourne.
* The VFL's leading goalkicker was Jack Collins of Footscray who kicked 74 goals.
* The winner of the 1957
Brownlow Medalwas Brian Gleesonof St Kilda with 24 votes.
* Geelong took the "wooden spoon" in 1957.
* Following the successful introduction of televised sport in 1956, the VFL decides to allow the live broadcast of the last quarter of three VFL matches each Saturday afternoon. Experiments conducted in 1956 involving three "closed circuit" telecasts of three of the finals matches, and the live broadcast of the Olympic Games' demonstration match had shown that it was possible to from "wide-shots" to "close-ups" quickly enough to provide effective viewing. Each station's telecast had a principal commentator; they were
Tony Charlton(HSV-7), Ken Dakin(ABV-2), and Ian Johnson (GTV-9).
* In August, learning from the success of the Olympic games, and in an attempt to counter the problems of overnight queues outside the
Melbourne Cricket Groundprior to each final, the VFL sells reserved tickets through the mail for the final series. It was also anticipated that this would greatly assist country people, who could now book seats and accommodation well in advance.
* Hawthorn is in the final four for the first time since their VFL debut in 1925.
Ron Barassiscores the first and last goal in Melbourne's 17.14 (116) to 7.13 (55) Grand Final win over Essendon.
* Rogers, S. & Brown, A., "Every Game Ever Played: VFL/AFL Results 1897-1997 (Sixth Edition)", Viking Books, (Ringwood), 1998. ISBN 0-670-90809-6
* Ross, J. (ed), "100 Years of Australian Football 1897-1996: The Complete Story of the AFL, All the Big Stories, All the Great Pictures, All the Champions, Every AFL Season Reported", Viking, (Ringwood), 1996. ISBN 0-670-86814-0
* [http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/1957.html 1957 Season - AFL Tables]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
1956 VFL season — Infobox VFL Premiership Season year = 1956 imagesize = caption = teams = 12 premiers = AFL Mel count = minor premiers = AFL Mel mpcount = matches = top goal scorer = Bill Young (AFL StK) brownlow medalist = Peter Box (AFL Foo)Results and… … Wikipedia
1960 VFL season — Infobox VFL Premiership Season year = 1960 imagesize = caption = teams = 12 premiers = AFL Mel count = minor premiers = AFL Mel mpcount = matches = top goal scorer = Ron Evans (AFL Ess) brownlow medalist = John Schultz (AFL Foo)Results and… … Wikipedia
1952 VFL season — Infobox VFL Premiership Season year = 1952 imagesize = caption = teams = 12 premiers = AFL Gee count = minor premiers = AFL Gee mpcount = matches = top goal scorer = John Coleman (AFL Ess) brownlow medalist = Bill Hutchison (AFL Ess) Roy Wright… … Wikipedia
1961 VFL season — Infobox VFL Premiership Season year = 1961 imagesize = caption = teams = 12 premiers = AFL Haw count = minor premiers = AFL Haw mpcount = matches = top goal scorer = Tom Carroll (AFL Car) brownlow medalist = John James (AFL Car)Results and… … Wikipedia
1957–58 DFB-Pokal — Country West Germany Teams 4 Champions VfB Stuttgart Runner up Fortuna Düsseldorf … Wikipedia
VfL Bochum — Football club infobox clubname = VfL Bochum fullname = Verein für Leibesübungen Bochum 1848 Fußballgemeinschaft e.V. nickname = Die Unabsteigbaren ( The Unrelegables , only prior to 1994) founded = 1848 ground = rewirpowerSTADION capacity =… … Wikipedia
VfL 06 Benrath — Football club infobox clubname = VfL Benrath fullname = Verein für Leibesübungen Benrath 1906 e.V. nickname = founded = 1906 ground = Münchner Straße capacity = 15,000 chairman = manager = league = Kreisliga A Gruppe 2, Kreis Düsseldorf season =… … Wikipedia
List of Australian Football League pre-season and night series premiers — The List of Australian Football League pre season and night series premiers is a complete chronological listing of the winners of the Victorian Football League (VFL) and Australian Football League (AFL) pre season and night series competitions.… … Wikipedia
Collingwood Football Club (VFL) — This article is about the Collingwood Football Club reserve team which participates in the Victorian Football League. For full information and history about the parent club and its AFL team, see Collingwood Football Club. Collingwood Names Full… … Wikipedia
Mark Williams (Australian footballer, born 1957) — Mark Williams Personal information Full name Mark E. Williams Date of birth … Wikipedia