- Crystal Reports
Crystal Reports 2008 displaying a sample report
Developer(s) Business Objects Operating system Microsoft Windows Available in Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish Type Reporting software License Business Objects EULA Website http://www.sap.com/solutions/sap-crystal-solutions/
Crystal Reports is a business intelligence application used to design and generate reports from a wide range of data sources. Several other applications, including Microsoft Visual Studio, at one time bundled an OEM version of Crystal Reports as a general purpose reporting tool. Crystal Reports is a popular report writer, and was especially so when Microsoft bundled it with Visual Studio versions 2003 through 2008. Microsoft discontinued this practice and later released their own competitive reporting tool, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS).[verification needed] Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 is still available as add-on software.
The product was originally created by Crystal Services Inc. as Quick Reports when they couldn't find a suitable commercial report writer for their accounting software. After producing versions 1.0 through 3.0, the company was acquired in 1994 by Seagate Technology. Crystal Services was combined with Holistic Systems to form the Information Management Group of Seagate Software, which later rebranded as Crystal Decisions and produced versions 4.0 through 9.0. Crystal Decisions was acquired in December 2003 by Business Objects, which has so far produced versions 10, 11 (XI) and version 12 (2008). Business Objects was acquired by SAP on October 8, 2007. Crystal Reports 2011 (version 14) was released on May 3, 2011.
Crystal Reports allows users to graphically design data connection(s) and report layout. In the Database Expert, users can select and link tables from a wide variety of data sources, including Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, Oracle databases, Business Objects Enterprise business views, and local file system information. Fields from these tables can be placed on the report design surface, and can also be used in custom formulas, using either BASIC or Crystal's own syntax, which are then placed on the design surface. Formulas can be evaluated at several phases during report generation as specified by the developer.
Both fields and formulae have a wide array of formatting options available, which can be applied absolutely or conditionally. The data can be grouped into bands, each of which can be split further and conditionally suppressed as needed. Crystal Reports also supports subreports, graphing, and a limited amount of GIS functionality.
Supported data sources
Accessible data sources include the following:
- Databases such as PostgreSQL, Sybase, IBM DB2, Ingres, Microsoft Access, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Interbase and Oracle
- Spreadsheets such as Microsoft Excel
- Text files
- HTML XML files
- Groupware applications as Lotus Notes, Microsoft Exchange and Novell GroupWise
- SAP: BW, Info Sets, Tables, and Business Objects Universes
- Any other data source accessible through a web service, ODBC, JDBC or OLAP.
Crystal Reports came integrated with Visual Studio versions prior to 2010. Crystal Reports competes with several solutions in the Microsoft market, such as SQL Server Reporting Services, XtraReports, ActiveReports, Telerik Reporting, and List & Label. Crystal Reports also provides solutions outside of the Microsoft market, for instance allowing Java developers to build applications with Crystal Reports components.
- ^ Peck, George (2008). Crystal Reports 2008: The Complete Reference. McGraw-Hill Professional. p. 566. ISBN 9780071590983. http://books.google.com/?id=WJimSiFQII0C. Retrieved 2009-07-09. "Not only was Crystal Reports bundled with earlier versions of Visual Basic..., but every Professional or higher version of VS.NET, up to and including Visual Studio 2008, includes an option to install Crystal Reports as well...."
- ^ "Support for Crystal Reports for Visual Studio". http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317789.
- ^ "Crystal Reports links dBASE and Paradox data". Data Based Advisor. September 1, 1992. http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-9259653_ITM. Retrieved 2009-07-09.
- ^ "Seagate to acquire Crystal Services". San Jose Mercury News. 1994-05-11. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_text_direct-0=0EB71CFF568507EE&p_field_direct-0=document_id. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- G. Taylor, Allen (June 3, 2008). Crystal Reports 2008 For Dummies (1st ed.). For Dummies. pp. 396. ISBN 0470290773. http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Crystal-Reports-2008-For-Dummies.productCd-0470290773.html.
- Peck, George (June 19, 2008). Crystal Reports 2008: The Complete Reference (1st ed.). McGraw-Hill Osborne Media. pp. 968. ISBN 0071590986. http://www.crystalbook.com/crtcr/program/book/intro_2008.asp.
- McCoy, Cate; Maric, Gord (2002). Mastering Crystal Reports 9 (1st ed.). Sybex. pp. 639. ISBN 0782141730. http://ca.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0782141730.html.
- Crystal Reports official site
- Crystal Reports official community site
- 3rd-party software tools for Crystal Reports
- Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 information and free download at SAP
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Crystal Reports — Maintainer SAP AG Aktuelle Version 2011 Betriebssystem Windows Kategorie Anwendungsprogramm Lizenz Closed So … Deutsch Wikipedia
Crystal Reports — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Crystal Reports Desarrollador SAP, Business Objects Página web de Crystal Reports … Wikipedia Español
Crystal Reports — Développeur SAP Environnement … Wikipédia en Français
Crystal Enterprise — is the Business Objects server based delivery platform for Crystal Reports and Crystal Analysis originally developed by Crystal Decisions. Crystal Enterprise is what is called a delivery platform in Business Intelligence terms. It provides an… … Wikipedia
Crystal (disambiguation) — Crystal is a form of matter significant in chemistry and mineralogy. Crystal may also refer to: Contents 1 Places 2 Media and entertainment 3 … Wikipedia
Crystal — (englisch: Kristall) bezeichnet: Crystal Family, Familie von Softwareentwicklungsmethoden Crystal, auch Crystal Meth, synthetische Droge, siehe N Methylamphetamin Crystal Reports, Software zur Erstellung von Berichten Crystal, eine tschechische… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Crystal Decisions — (previously known as Seagate Software Information Management Group) is the name of a company that was known for its Business intelligence products. The company was formed when hard disk manufacturer Seagate Technology acquired Holistic Systems… … Wikipedia
Crystal Growth & Design — Titre abrégé Cryst. Growth Des. Discipline Cristallographie Langue … Wikipédia en Français
Crystal radio — Crystal set redirects here. For the Australian rock band, see The Crystal Set. A modern reproduction of an antique crystal set. It is tuned to different stations by moving the sliding contact (right) up and down the tuning coil (red). The device… … Wikipedia
Crystal Growth & Design — Abbreviated title (ISO) … Wikipedia