- All for Australia
"All for Australia" is a
1984book by Australian historian Professor Geoffrey Blainey. It criticizes Australian immigration policy and the direction in which it is shaping the nation. In particular, the book is critical of what Blainey views as the disproportionately high levels of Asian immigration to Australia since the mid-1970s.
Overview and main themes
In "All for Australia", Blainey argues:
* Every nation has the right to control its immigration intake. However, Australia is embarrassed to exercise this right, for fear of offending
Third Worldnations, which themselves have no hesitation in exercising immigration controls to preserve their ethnic compositions.
* Every nation relies on a sense of community. That sense of community belonging can easily be eroded by the too rapid entry of foreign peoples who unintentionally challenge a nation's social cohesion.
* Immigration is one of the most important issues facing a nation. The notion that it is too contentious to be publicly debated makes a mockery of
Multiculturalismtends to emphasize the rights of ethnic minorities at the expense of the majority of Australians, thus unnecessarily encouraging division and threatening social cohesion.
* The policy of multiculturalism has tended to be implicitly anti-British, despite Australia's British heritage and the large number of post-
World War IIBritish immigrants to Australia.
* Australian immigration policy has moved from one extreme to another, from a policy that sought to encourage European immigration and restrict Asian immigration (
White Australia policy), to a policy that now gives disproportionate preference to Asian immigration. Blainey asserts that this preferential treatment of Asian immigrants partly arose from a sense of guilt over the Vietnam War, but also reflected Canberra's misguided view that more trade with Asian countries would come with a larger Asian population.
* [http://www.immigrationwatchcanada.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=1667 Strangers In Their Own Land] - synopsis of the major points made in "All For Australia"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
All for Australia League — The All for Australia League was a minor Australian political party that operated in New South Wales in 1931. It represented an alternative to the existing conservative parties the United Australia Party and the Country Party, and was generally… … Wikipedia
All for One (Screaming Jets album) — For the King Missile song No Point , see No Point (song). All for One Studio album by The Screaming Jets … Wikipedia
All for you — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda All for you álbum de estudio de Janet Jackson Publicación … Wikipedia Español
All for you (álbum) — All for you álbum de estudio de Janet Jackson Publicación 23 de abril de 2001 … Wikipedia Español
All For Love (álbum de Planetshakers) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda All For Love En Vivo de Planetshakers Publicación 19 de enero de 2008 Grabación 2 y … Wikipedia Español
All for love (álbum de Planetshakers) — All For Love En Vivo de Planetshakers Publicación 19 de enero de 2008 Grabación 2 y 5 de enero de 2008 Género(s) Música cristiana … Wikipedia Español
All for You (song) — Infobox Single Name = All for You Artist = Janet Jackson Album = All for You Released = March 26, 2001 Format = CD single, CD maxi single, 12 single Recorded = 2000 at Flyte Tyme Studios (Edina, Minnesota) Genre = Dance pop, R B Length = 5:30 (CD … Wikipedia
All for Love (Planetshakers album) — Infobox Album | Name = All for Love Type = Live Artist = Planetshakers Released = 19 January 2008 Recorded = 2 5 January 2008 Planetshakers Conference Vodafone Arena, Melbourne Genre = Contemporary Christian Length = 71:00 Label = Word Australia… … Wikipedia
Victoria Cross for Australia — Infobox Military Award name= Victoria Cross for Australia caption= Obverse of the medal and ribbon. Ribbon: 32mm, crimson awarded by= Australia type= Military decoration eligibility= Australian military personnel for= ... most conspicuous bravery … Wikipedia
Australia national cricket team — Australia Insignia on the baggy green. Test status granted 1877 … Wikipedia