Great Bridge South railway station


Great Bridge South railway station

Great Bridge South railway station was the only station on a link line between the South Staffordshire Line and the Birmingham Snow Hill-Wolverhampton Low Level Line. It was opened in 1866. As with a lot of passenger stations, it closed during the years of the First World War but reopened in 1920 and remained operational until British Rail closed the station through the Beeching Axe in 1964.

Despite another station existing in Great Bridge from 1866, the station was not given the name of South until after nationalisation in 1950.

###@@@KEYEND@@@###

References

* [http://www.railaroundbirmingham.co.uk/Stations/great_bridge_south.php Rail Around Birmingham and the West Midlands: Great Bridge South railway station]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries: