- George Goldie (architect)
George Goldie (
9 June 1828- 1 March 1887) was a nineteenth century ecclesiastical architectwho specialised in Roman Catholicchurches.
Goldie was born in
Yorkand was the grandson of the architect Joseph Bonomi the Elder. He was educated at St Cuthbert's College, Ushaw, County Durham.
He trained as an architect with John Gray Weightman and
Matthew Ellison Hadfieldof Sheffield, from 1845 to 1850, and thereafter worked in partnership with the same pair. After Weightman left the partnership in 1858, Hadfield and Goldie remained in partnership a further two years. Goldie then practised alone until 1867 when Charles Edwin Child (1843-1911) joined him in partnership. In 1880 Goldie's son Edward (1856-1921) entered the partnership, having first been apprenticed in 1875.
Goldie's output included St Mungo's Church,
Glasgow; Our Lady of Victories, Kensington(at the time of building, the Pro-Cathedralfor the Archdiocese of Westminster); some of the interior furnishings of St John's Cathedral, Salford including the reredos of 1853-5, together with the adjoining buildings now known as "Cathedral House"; and the churches of St Pancras, Ipswich, of 1861, St Vincent's, Sheffield of 1856 and St Mary & St Augustine, Stamfordof 1864/5.
George Goldie died at
Saint-Servan, Brittany and was buried at Saint-Jouan-des-Guérets.
* [http://www.codexgeo.co.uk/dsa/architect_full.php?id=M000221 Dictionary of Scottish Architects (sic)]
* [http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/stpancrasips.htm St Pancras, Ipswich]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.