- Test method
A test method is a definitive procedure that produces a test result. (
The test result can be qualititive (yes/no), categorical, or quantititive (a measured value). It can be a personal observation or the output of a precision
Usually the test result is the
dependent variable, the measured response based on the particular conditions of the test or the level of the independent variable. Some tests, however, involve changing the independent variable to determine the level at which a certain response occurs: in this case, the test result is the independent variable.
Importance of test methods
engineering, science, manufacturing, and business, it is vital for all interested people to understand and agree upon methods of obtaining data and making measurements. For example, is common for a physical propertyto be strongly affected by the precise method of testing or measuring that property. It is vital to fully document experimentsand measurements and to provide needed definition to specifications and contracts.
standardtest method, perhaps published by a respected standards organization, is a good place to start. Sometimes it is more useful to modify one or to develop a new one. Again, documentation and full disclosure are very necessary.
A well written test method is important. However, even more important is choosing a method of measuring the correct property or characteristic. Not all tests and measurements are equally useful: usually a test result is used to predict or imply sutiability for a certain purpose. For example if a manufactured item has several components, test methods may have several levels of connections:
* test results of a raw material should connect with tests of a component made from that material
* test results of a component should connect with
performance testingof a complete item
* results of laboratory performance testing should connect with field performance
These connections or
correlations may be based on published literature, engineering studies, or formal programs such as quality function deployment. Validationof the suitability of the test method is often required.
Content of a test method
The test method might include:
* Descriptive title and scope of the test method
* Date of last effective revision and revision designation
* Person, office, or agency responsible for questions on the test method, updates, and deviations.
* The significance or importance of the test method and its intended use.
* Terminology and
definitions to clarify the meanings of the test method
* A listing of the types of apparatus and
measuring instrument(sometimes the specific device) required to conduct the test
calibrations and metrologysystems
* Environmental concerns and considerations
* Sampling procedures. How are samples to be obtained. Number of samples.
temperature, humidity, etc, and Tolerance (engineering)
* Preparation of samples for the test
* Detailed procedure for conducting the test
* Calculations and analysis of data
* Interpretation of data and test method output
* Report: format, content, data, etc
Accuracy, precision, systematic bias, repeatability, reproducibility, and uncertaintyof test results
Certified reference materials
Design of experiments
Measurement Systems Analysis
Specification (technical standard)
Verification and Validation
* Pyzdek, T, "Quality Engineering Handbook", 2003, ISBN 0824746147
* Godfrey, A. B., "Juran's Quality Handbook", 1999, ISBN 007034003
* Kimothi, S. K., "The Uncertainty of Measurements: Physical and Chemical Metrology: Impact and Analysis", 2002, ISBN 0873895355
* ASTM D4356 Standard Practice for Establishing Consistent Test Method Tolerances
* ASTM E691 Standard Practice for Conducting an Interlaboratory Study to Determine the Precision of a Test Method
* ASTM E1169 Standard Guide for Conducting Ruggedness Tests
* ASTM E1488 Standard Guide for Statistical Procedures to Use in Developing and Applying Test Methods
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
test method — bandymo metodas statusas T sritis Standartizacija ir metrologija apibrėžtis Išsamiai apibrėžta techninių veiksmų eilės tvarka bandymui atlikti. atitikmenys: angl. test method vok. Prüfungsverfahren, n; Prüfverfahren, n rus. метод испытания, m… … Penkiakalbis aiškinamasis metrologijos terminų žodynas
test method — bandymo metodas statusas T sritis Standartizacija ir metrologija apibrėžtis Nustatytos techninės taisyklės bandymams atlikti. atitikmenys: angl. test method vok. Prüfungsverfahren, n; Prüfverfahren, n rus. метод испытания, m pranc. méthode… … Penkiakalbis aiškinamasis metrologijos terminų žodynas
test method — See vicat test method … Dictionary of automotive terms
Chick-Martin test (method) — Chick Mar·tin test (method) (chik mahrґtin) [Harriette Chick, British physiologist, 20th century; Charles James Martin, British physiologist, 1866â€“1955] see under test … Medical dictionary
Duke test (method) — (d k) [William Waddell Duke, American pathologist, 1882â€“1946] see under test … Medical dictionary
Ivy test (method) — (iґve) [Andrew Conway Ivy, American physiologist, 1893â€“1978] see under test … Medical dictionary
Van Slyke formula test (method) — (van slīkґ) [Donald Dexter Van Slyke, American biochemist, 1883â€“1971] see under formula and test … Medical dictionary
Vicat test method — A determination of the softening temperature of plastics … Dictionary of automotive terms
Test — Test, TEST or Tester may refer to:In science:* Experiment, part of the scientific method * Test (biology), the shell of sea urchins and certain microorganisms * Test method, a definitive procedure that produces a test result * Chemical test, a… … Wikipedia
Test procedure — organizational methodic mandatory document including test method, test facilities and conditions, sampling, algorithms of performing operations on selecting one or several correlated characteristics of objects attributes, forms of submitting data … Словарь-справочник терминов нормативно-технической документации