- McLellan Galleries
The McLellan Galleries are an exhibition space in the city of Glasgow, Scotland. Built in 1856, the Galleries are named after their founder, Archibald McLellan (1795-1854), a coach builder, councillor and patron of the arts. Following his death, Glasgow Corporation acquired the galleries, and for a time they were known as the Corporation Halls before reverting to their former owner's name. The Galleries were situated behind a frontage of shops in Sauchiehall Street and housed Glasgow School of Art from 1869 to 1899.
In the 1980s, the Galleries were ravaged by fire, but re-opened in 1990 as the largest quality, climate-controled, temporary exhibition gallery in Scotland.
While Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum was closed for refurbishment between 2003 and 2006, the McLellan Galleries hosted a display of its best-loved works.
Art galleries and museums in Glasgow Art Galleries Museums See also: Glasgow art & culture This article related to an art display, art museum or gallery in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.