Hall, Russell & Company


Hall, Russell & Company

Hall, Russell & Company, Limited was a shipbuilder based in Aberdeen, Scotland. cite web|url=http://www.aberdeenships.com/sb_hall_russell.asp |title=Aberdeen Ships / Hall, Russell & Co. Ltd. |accessdate=2007-04-06 ] . Known locally as Hall Russell, the company was founded in 1864 and originally manufactured iron and latterly steel ships. In 1977, the company became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders Corporation, before being returned to the private sector in 1986 under the ownership of A & P Appledore International, parent company of Appledore Shipbuilders, as A & P Appledore International (Aberdeen). However, it had been classed by the Government as a naval shipbuilder, despite traditionally producing fishing vessels and small cargo ships, and closed in 1992.

Hall Russell is well known as the builder of a number of Royal Navy minesweepers during World War II and latterly, for building a mix of fishing and cargo vessels.

References


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.