- Stanly County, North Carolina
Infobox U.S. County
county = Stanly County
state = North Carolina
map size = 250
founded = 1841
seat = Albemarle | area_total_sq_mi =404
area percentage = 2.28%
census yr = 2000
pop = 58100
web = www.co.stanly.nc.us
The county was formed in 1841 from the part of Montgomery County west of the
Pee Dee River. It was named for John Stanlyof New Bern (1774- 1834), who served several terms in the North Carolina House of Commons and two terms (1801- 1803, 1809-1811) in the United States House of Representatives.
Law and government
Stanly County is a member of the regional
Centralina Council of Governments.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 404
square miles (1,047 km²), of which, 395 square miles (1,023 km²) of it is land and 9 square miles (24 km²) of it (2.28%) is water.
The county is divided into ten townships: Almond, Big Lick, Center, Endy, Furr, Harris, North Albemarle, Ridenhour, South Albemarle, and Tyson.
Rowan County, North Carolina- north
Davidson County, North Carolina- northeast
Montgomery County, North Carolina- east
Anson County, North Carolina- south-southeast
Union County, North Carolina- south-southwest
Cabarrus County, North Carolina- west
As of the
censusGR|2 of 2000, there were 58,100 people, 22,223 households, and 16,156 families residing in the county. The population densitywas 147 people per square mile (57/km²). There were 24,582 housing units at an average density of 62 per square mile (24/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 84.67% White, 11.46% Black or African American, 0.25% Native American, 1.81% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.01% from other races, and 0.79% from two or more races. 2.13% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 22,223 households out of which 32.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.30% were married couples living together, 10.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.30% were non-families. 24.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.00% under the age of 18, 8.40% from 18 to 24, 29.00% from 25 to 44, 23.40% from 45 to 64, and 14.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 97.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $36,898, and the median income for a family was $43,956. Males had a median income of $31,444 versus $21,585 for females. The
per capita incomefor the county was $17,825. About 8.10% of families and 10.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.10% of those under age 18 and 10.30% of those age 65 or over.
Cities, towns, and places
Places of Education
* [http://www.pfeiffer.edu/ Pfeiffer University] "Falcons"
* [http://www.stanly.edu/ Stanly Community College] "Eagles"
* [http://ahs.scs.k12.nc.us/ Albemarle High School] "Bulldogs"
*Christ The King Christian Academy "Lions" [http://www.graystoneday.org Gray Stone Day School] "Knights"
* [http://www.nshs.scs.k12.nc.us North Stanly High School] "Comets
* [http://www.sshs.scs.k12.nc.us/ South Stanly High School] "Rebels"
* [http://www.echs.scs.k12.nc.us/ Stanly Early College] "Tigers"
* [http://www.weststanlycolts.com West Stanly High School] "Colts"
* [http://www.ams.scs.k12.nc.us/ Albemarle Middle School] "Bulldogs"
* [http://www.new-london.scs.k12.nc.us/ New London Choice Middle School] "Rockets"
* [http://www.ssms.scs.k12.nc.us/ South Stanly Middle School] "Rebels"Christ The King Christian Academy Lions
* [http://www.aquadale.scs.k12.nc.us/ Aquadale Elementary] "Indians"
* [http://www.badin.scs.k12.nc.us/ Badin Elementary] "Watts"
* [http://www.central.scs.k12.nc.us/ Central Elementary] "Bulldogs"
*Christ The King Christian Academy [http://www.east.scs.k12.nc.us/ East Albemarle Elementary]
* [http://www.endy.scs.k12.nc.us/ Endy Elementary] "Redskins"
* [http://www.kvalley.scs.k12.nc.us/ Kendall Valley Elementary]
* [http://www.locust.scs.k12.nc.us/ Locust Elementary] "Colts"
* [http://www.millingport.scs.k12.nc.us/ Millingport Elementary]
* [http://www.north.scs.k12.nc.us/ North Albemarle Elementary]
* [http://www.norwood.scs.k12.nc.us/ Norwood Elementary] "Patriots"
* [http://www.oakboro.scs.k12.nc.us/ Oakboro Elementary] "Eagles"
* [http://www.richfield.scs.k12.nc.us/ Richfield Elementary]
* [http://www.ridgecrest.scs.k12.nc.us/ Ridgecrest Elementary] "Raiders"
* [http://www.rcreek.scs.k12.nc.us/ Running Creek Elementary]
* [http://www.stanfield.scs.k12.nc.us/ Stanfield Elementary] "Wildcats"
* [http://www.co.stanly.nc.us Stanly County government official website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Register of Historic Places listings in Stanly County, North Carolina — Map of all coordinates from Google Map of all coordinates from Bing … Wikipedia
Cabarrus County, North Carolina — For the Spanish financier, see François Cabarrus. Cabarrus County, North Carolina Seal … Wikipedia
Montgomery County, North Carolina — Seal … Wikipedia
Rowan County, North Carolina — Infobox U.S. County county = Rowan County state = North Carolina map size = 250 founded = 1753 seat = Salisbury | area total sq mi =524 area land sq mi =511 area water sq mi =13 area percentage = 2.40% census yr = 2000 pop = 130340 density km2… … Wikipedia
Union County, North Carolina — Infobox U.S. County county = Union County state = North Carolina map size = 250 founded = 1842 seat = Monroe | area total sq mi =640 area land sq mi =637 area water sq mi =2 area percentage = 0.35% census yr = 2000 pop = 123677 density km2 =75… … Wikipedia
Anson County, North Carolina — Infobox U.S. County county = Anson County state = North Carolina map size = 250 founded = 1750 seat = Wadesboro | area total sq mi =537 area water sq mi =6 area percentage = 1.04% census yr = 2000 pop = 25275 density km2 =18 web = www.co.anson.nc … Wikipedia
Davidson County, North Carolina — Seal … Wikipedia
Mecklenburg County, North Carolina — Flag … Wikipedia
Cleveland County, North Carolina — The west side of the old Cleveland County Courthouse, Shelby … Wikipedia
Montgomery County (North Carolina) — Verwaltung US Bundesstaat: North Carolina Verwaltungssitz: Troy Adresse des Verwaltungssitzes: County Courthouse P.O. Box 425 Troy, NC 27371 0425 Gründung: 1778 … Deutsch Wikipedia