- Daniel Woodrell
Daniel Woodrell Born March 4, 1953
Occupation Novelist Nationality United States Period 1986 - present Genres Crime fiction, "country noir"
Daniel Woodrell (born March 4, 1953) is an American writer of fiction. He has written eight novels, most of them set in the Missouri Ozarks. Woodrell coined the phrase "country noir" to describe his 1996 novel Give Us a Kiss. Reviewers have frequently since used the term to categorize his writing.
Early life and education
Woodrell was born in Springfield, Missouri, in the southwestern corner of the state. He grew up in Missouri and dropped out of high school to join the Marines. Later he earned a BA from the University of Kansas and an MFA from the Iowa Writers' Workshop.
Marriage and family
Woodrell has set most of his eight novels in the Missouri Ozarks, a landscape which he knew from childhood. He has created novels based on crime, a style he termed "country noir", a phrase which has been adopted by commentators on his work.
In addition to finding readers for his fiction, Woodrell has had two novels adapted for films. Woodrell's second novel, Woe to Live On (1987), was adapted for the 1999 film Ride with the Devil, directed by Ang Lee.
The more recent Winter's Bone (2006) was adapted by writer and director Debra Granik for a film of the same title, released commercially in June 2010 after winning two awards at the Sundance Film Festival, including the Grand Jury Prize for a dramatic film. Several critics called it one of the best films of the year and an American classic, and it received four Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture.
- 1999 PEN USA award for Fiction for his novel, Tomato Red (1998).
- 2000 He was longlisted for the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award for Tomato Red.
- 2008 - His short story "Uncle", originally published in A Hell of a Woman: An Anthology of Female Noir (2007), was nominated for a 2008 Edgar Award.
- 2010 Sundance Film Festival award for top dramatic film for adaptation of his novel Winter's Bone (published in 2006)
- Under the Bright Lights (Henry Holt, 1986)
- Woe to Live On (Henry Holt, 1987)
- Muscle for the Wing (Henry Holt, 1988)
- The Ones You Do (Henry Holt, 1992)
- Give Us a Kiss: A Country Noir (Henry Holt, 1996)
- Tomato Red (Henry Holt, 1998)
- The Death of Sweet Mister (Putnam, 2001)
- Winter's Bone (Little, Brown, 2006)
- The Bayou Trilogy (Mulholland Books, 2011) (an omnibus volume collecting Under the Bright Lights, Muscle for the Wing, and The Ones You Do)
- The Outlaw Album (Little, Brown, 2011)
- Ride with the Devil (adapted from novel Woe to Live On) (1999)
- Winter's Bone (adapted from novel) (2010)
- ^ a b Lin Waterhouse (March 2007). "Daniel Woodrell: Voice Of The Other Ozarks". Ozarks Magazine. Archived from the original on 2007-10-09. http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20071009193158/http://www.ozarksmagazine.com/index.html?p=250. Retrieved 2011-03-20.
- ^ Becky Ohlsen (Undated). "Review: The Death of Sweet Mister". Bookreporter.com. http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews/0452283302.asp. Retrieved 2007-03-30. (For one example of "country noir" used in a later review.)
- ^ "ReadMOre: Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell". JeffersonCountyLibrary.org. 2006. Archived from the original on 2007-09-02. http://web.archive.org/web/20070902172551/http://jeffersoncountylibrary.org/programs/readmore.shtml. Retrieved 2007-04-01. (for birth date and location)
- ^ John Williams (2006-06-16). "Daniel Woodrell: The Ozark daredevil". The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/daniel-woodrell-the-ozark-daredevil-404146.html. Retrieved 2011-03-20.
- ^ "Winter's Bone". 2010 Sundance Film Festival. Sundance Institute. 2010. http://sundance.bside.com/2010/films/wintersbone_sundance2010. Retrieved October 11, 2010.
- ^ Scott, A. O. (June 11, 2010). "Winter's Bone: Where Life Is Cold, and Kin Are Cruel" (Review). The New York Times. http://movies.nytimes.com/2010/06/11/movies/11winter.html. Retrieved October 11, 2010.
- ^ "Winter's Bone". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. 2010. http://www.metacritic.com/movie/winters-bone. Retrieved October 11, 2010.
- ^ "PEN USA Literary Awardees and Honorary Award Winners, 1978-2005". penusa.org. Undated. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. http://web.archive.org/web/20070927110528/http://penusa.org/images/uploads/Awardees_and_Honorary_Award_Winners_1978_2005.pdf. Retrieved 2007-03-30.
- ^ "2000 Award: Nominated Books". International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award. Undated. http://www.impacdublinaward.ie/2000titles.htm. Retrieved 2007-04-01.
- ^ "2008 Edgar Nominees". Mystery Writers of America. Undated. http://www.theedgars.com/nominees2.html#short. Retrieved 2008-02-26.
- Daniel Woodrell at the Internet Movie Database
- Daniel Woodrell, "Night Stand", in Esquire, June 2008
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Rivages/Noir — est une collection de romans noirs et de romans policiers créée par François Guérif en 1986 au sein de la maison d’édition Rivages fondée par Édouard de Andréis. La collection va rapidement se positionner comme une des principales collections de… … Wikipédia en Français
Winter’s Bone — Filmdaten Originaltitel Winter’s Bone Produktionsland USA … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Ozarks — Ozark redirects here. For other uses, see Ozark (disambiguation). Ozark Mountain redirects here. For the wine region, see Ozark Mountain AVA. The Ozarks, Ouachitas, Black Hills, and Sawtooths … Wikipedia
Winter's Bone — Données clés Réalisation Debra Granik Scénario Debra Granik Anne Rosellini d après le roman de Daniel Woodrell Sociétés de production … Wikipédia en Français
Winter's Bone — Título Winter s Bone Lazos de sangre (Latinoamérica) Ficha técnica Dirección Debra Granik Producción Anne Rosellini Alix Madigan … Wikipedia Español
Ride with the Devil (film) — Infobox Film name = Ride with the Devil caption = Promotional poster director = Ang Lee producer = James Schamus writer = Daniel Woodrell (novel) James Schamus (screenplay) starring = Tobey Maguire Skeet Ulrich Jonathan Rhys Meyers Simon Baker… … Wikipedia
March 4 — << March 2011 >> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 … Wikipedia
Ride with the Devil — In diesem Artikel oder Abschnitt fehlen folgende wichtige Informationen: Belegte Profi Kritiken Du kannst Wikipedia helfen, indem du sie recherchierst und einfügst … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ride with the Devil (Film) — In diesem Artikel oder Abschnitt fehlen folgende wichtige Informationen: Belegte Profi Kritiken Du kannst Wikipedia helfen, indem du sie recherchierst und einfügst … Deutsch Wikipedia
Wer mit dem Teufel reitet — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel Wer mit dem Teufel reitet Originaltitel Ride with the Devil … Deutsch Wikipedia