- Dental technician
There are four major disciplines within dental technology. These are fixed prosthesis including crowns, bridges and implants; removable prosthesis, including dentures and removable partial dentures; maxillofacial prosthesis, including ocular prosthesis and craniofacial prosthesis; and orthodontics and auxiliaries, including orthodontic appliances and mouthguards.
The dentist communicates with the dental technologist with prescriptions, drawings and measurements taken from the patient. The most important aspect of this is a dental impression in to which the technologist flows a gypsum dental stone to create a replica of the patients anatomy known as a dental model. A technologist can then use this model for the construction of custom appliances.
A fixed dental restoration is an appliance designed to replace a tooth or teeth that may be been lost or damage by injury, caries or other oral diseases. These restorations are distinguished from other restorations by the fact that once they have been placed by a dentists the patient can not remove them. Such Restorations include; crowns, bridges, veneers, fixed implant restorations, inlays and onlays.
Removable restorations are dental appliances to replace one or more teeth that have been completely lost. These restorations ideally remain stable in normal function but can be removed by the patient for cleaning and at night. Removable restorations are either retained by the patients soft tissue as in full dentures, supported by other teeth as with partial dentures and overdentures or on implant attachments as with implant retained overdentures and partial dentures.
Orthodontic technologist make removable orthodontic appliances with wires, springs and screws on prescription from and Orthodontist to either move teeth to form a more harmonious occlusion and aesthetic appearance of teeth or to maintain the position of previously moved teeth.
- Dental auxiliary
- Orthodontic Technicians Association
- ^ Dental Council of New Zealand, Notice of Scopes of Practice and Prescribed Qualifications
- ^ General Dental Council UK, Scopes of Practice
- ^ Dental technician/dental technologist NHS Careers
- ^ Fabricating Casts http://www.tpub.com/content/medical/14275/css/14275_203.htm
- ^ Crown and Bridge Restorations, http://www.qualitydentistry.com/dental/restorative/candb.html
- ^ The functional fixed http://www.scribd.com/doc/6630184/The-Functionally-Fixed-Restoration
- ^ Zitzmann, Nicola Ursula; Hagmann, Edgar; Weiger, Roland (2007). "What is the prevalence of various types of prosthetic dental restorations in Europe?". Clinical Oral Implants Research 18: 20–33. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0501.2007.01435.x. PMID 17594367.
- ^ Types of Dental Restorations http://www.mercurypoisoned.com/different.html
- ^ Jacobson, TE; Krol, AJ (1983). "A contemporary review of the factors involved in complete denture retention, stability, and support. Part I: retention". The Journal of prosthetic dentistry 49 (1): 5–15. doi:10.1016/0022-3913(83)90228-7. PMID 6337253.
- ^ Removable partial denture design protocol
- ^ Nobel Biocare Full arch restorationhttp://www.nobelbiocare.com/en/products-solutions/solutions-for-all-indications/full-arch-restorations/
- ^ 
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
dental technician — n a technician who makes dental appliances … Medical dictionary
dental technician — dantų technikas statusas T sritis profesijos apibrėžtis Technikas, kuris pagal rašytinį stomatologo nurodymą akredituotoje laboratorijoje gamina, modifikuoja ir taiso išimamus ir neišimamus dantų protezus, protezus su implantais, dantų ir jų… … Inžinieriai, technikai ir technologai. Trikalbis aiškinamasis žodynėlis
dental technician — noun someone who makes dental appliances (bridges and dentures) • Syn: ↑denturist • Derivationally related forms: ↑denture (for: ↑denturist) • Hypernyms: ↑technician … Useful english dictionary
dental technician — noun Date: 1946 one who makes dental appliances … New Collegiate Dictionary
dental technician — one who makes dental appliances … English contemporary dictionary
dental technician — /dɛntl tɛkˈnɪʃən/ (say dentl tek nishuhn) noun someone who makes dental prostheses, as false teeth, caps for teeth, etc … Australian English dictionary
dental technician — a skilled worker who makes dentures, bridges, etc., as specified by dentists for their patients. [1960 65] * * * … Universalium
dental technician — den′tal techni cian n. den a person who makes dentures, bridges, etc … From formal English to slang
Dental laboratory — Dental laboratories manufacture or customize a variety of products to assist in the provision of oral health care by a licensed dentist. These products include crowns, bridges, dentures and other dental products. Dental lab technicians follow a… … Wikipedia
Dental restoration — Intervention ICD 9 CM 23.2 23.4 A dental restoration or dental filling is a dental restorative ma … Wikipedia