- King's Chapel
Infobox_nrhp | name =King's Chapel
nrhp_type = nhl
location= Tremont and School Streets,
lat_degrees = 42 | lat_minutes = 21 | lat_seconds = 28.81 | lat_direction = N
long_degrees = 71 | long_minutes = 3 | long_seconds = 35.98 | long_direction = W
October 9, 1960
May 2, 1974
governing_body = Private
refnum=74002045cite web|url=http://www.nr.nps.gov/|title=National Register Information System|date=2007-01-23|work=National Register of Historic Places|publisher=National Park Service]
King's Chapel is a Christian Unitarian church in
Boston, Massachusetts, located at the corner of Tremont Streetand School Street. Organized in 1686, it is among the oldest member churches of the Unitarian Universalist Associationand the first Anglican church in Boston.
The original King's Chapel was a wooden church built in
1688at the corner of Tremont and School Streets, where the church stands today. It was situated on the public burying ground since no resident would sell land for a non- Puritanchurch. That building was replaced by the current stone structure, begun in 1749and completed in 1754. The current bell, cast in England, was hung in 1772. In 1814it cracked, was recast by Paul Revere, and was rehung. It has been rung at services ever since.
American Revolution, the chapel sat vacant and was referred to as the "Stone Chapel." It was reopened in 1782and became Unitarianunder the ministry of James Freeman, who revised the Book of Common Prayeralong Unitarian lines. Although Freeman still considered King's Chapel to be Episcopalian, the Anglican Church refused to ordain him. The church still follows its own Anglican/Unitarian hybrid liturgytoday.
burying groundat King's Chapel is the site of the graves of many historical figures. It was Boston's only burial site for 30 years, and is a stop on the Freedom Trail.
John Winthrop, first Puritan governor of Massachusetts
William Dawes(disputedcite web
title=Who's buried in Dawes's tomb?
date=2005-02-25] ), American Revolution hero
Mary Chilton, Plymouth Pilgrim, first European woman to step ashore in New England
* William Emerson (father of
Ralph Waldo Emerson)
* Central burying ground
Granary Burying Ground
* [http://www.kings-chapel.org King's Chapel] website
* [http://www.nps.gov/bost/ Boston National Historical Park Official Website]
* [http://books.google.com/books?id=1xZ2I9cNnY8C A History of King's Chapel, in Boston: The First Episcopal Church in New England] By Francis William Pitt Greenwood (1833) at
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
King's Chapel — National Register of Historic Places National Historic Landmark Die King s Chapel … Deutsch Wikipedia
King's Chapel — 42° 21′ 29″ N 71° 03′ 36″ W / 42.358, 71.06 La King s Chapel (chape … Wikipédia en Français
KING'S CHAPEL — (Chapel Royal), См. Капелла … Музыкальный словарь Римана
King's Chapel Burying Ground — is a historic cemetery at King s Chapel on Tremont Street in Boston, Massachusetts and is the oldest cemetery in the city. The burying ground was founded in 1630 as the first cemetery in the city of Boston. After being unable to locate land… … Wikipedia
King's Chapel Burying Ground — Der King s Chapel Burying Ground 2006 Die … Deutsch Wikipedia
(St.) Mary, King's Chapel of — The king had caused it to be made out of a synagogue of the Jews, and granted to the chaplain Simon de Bassinshag to receive yearly at the Exchequer 60s. by the hand of Ralph bishop of Cycestre, 1232 (Cal. Charter Rolls, I. p. 166). Perhaps … Dictionary of London
King's College Chapel — 52° 12′ 17″ N 0° 06′ 59″ E / 52.2048, 0.1165 … Wikipédia en Français
Chapel — A holy place or sanctuary, occurs only in Amos 7:13, where one of the idol priests calls Bethel the king s chapel … Easton's Bible Dictionary
CHAPEL ROYAL — (англ., произн. чэпель ройель), King s Chapel, См. Капелла … Музыкальный словарь Римана
King John's Palace — viewed from the south east King John s Palace, King s Clipstone is the remains of a once magnificent medieval royal palace in north west Nottinghamshire. The name King John s Palace has been used since the 18th century, prior to that the site was … Wikipedia