- Parish of the Holy Sacrifice
The Parish of the Holy Sacrifice, also the Church of the Holy Sacrifice, is a landmark Catholic chapel in the University of the Philippines Diliman. It belongs to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Cubao and its present parish priest is Rev. Fr. Raymond Joseph Arre.
Known for its architectural design, the church is recognized as a National Historical Landmark and a Cultural Treasure by the National Historical Institute and the National Museum respectively. It was designed by the late National Artist for Architecture, Leandro Locsin, one of five National Artists who collaborated on the project. Alfredo Juinio served as the structural engineer for the project.
The church is adjacent to the U.P. Health Service Building and the U.P. Shopping Center, and is serviced by all of the university's jeepney routes.
Initially, Leandro Locsin designed the church for the Ossorio family, which was planning to build a chapel in Negros. Unfortunately, the plans for the chapel were scrapped when Frederic Ossorio left for the United States.
However, in 1955, Catholic Chaplain University of the Philippines Diliman John Delaney, S.J. commissioned Locsin to design a chapel that was open and could easily accommodate 1,000 people. The Church of Holy Sacrifice is the first circular chapel with the altar in its center in the country, and the first to have a thin shell concrete dome. The floor of the church was designed by Arturo Luz, the Stations of the Cross by Vicente Manansala and Ang Kiukok, and the double-sided crucifix and altar base by Napoleon Abueva, all of whom are now National Artists.
Being a pioneering structure, it almost suffered a setback during the construction of the dome when the weather suddenly changed as the concrete was being poured. If it had rained, the concrete would have not settled, and the whole project would have been in jeopardy.
The first mass in the church was celebrated on December 20, 1955. Since then, there have been modifications to the church and its surroundings. The gigantic dome, which used to be white, is now green. The altar base was also changed from wood to marble, still by Napoleon Abueva. Perhaps the most significant change is that the church is now fenced off, and the once open grounds that surrounded the church are now landscaped.
On January 12, 2005, the church was recognized as a National Historical Landmark and a Cultural Treasure by the National Historical Institute and the National Museum, respectively. During the recognition ceremony, National Historical Institute Chairman Ambeth R. Ocampo lauded the church as a "masterpiece of Filipino artistry and ingenuity". Currently, the parish is spearheading a project that aims to restore the dome of the historic church.
The dome of the church is supported by pillars located at the sides of the church, so that there are no supports to block the space inside. The unique design of the dome allows natural lighting and ventilation. At the middle of the dome is a circular skylight, which supports the triangular bell tower. The bell tower, then extends to the interior, supporting the crucifix. The arrangement of the interior of the church is concentric, with the altar in the middle.
Name of Parish:
- Parish of the Holy Sacrifice
- Feast of the Body and Blood of Christ (Corpus Christi)
- Holy Sacrifice
Date of Established:
- May 30, 1977
Current Parish Priest
- Rev. Fr. Henry E. Ferreras (Appointed effective 16 January 2012)
Former Parish Priests
- 1977-1984 Msgr. Manuel G. Gabriel
- 1984-1986 Msgr. Chito Bernardo, Jr.
- 1986-1988 Most Rev. Ramon Arguelles
- 1988-1996 Msgr. Bayani Valenzuela
- 1996-2003 Fr. Roberto P. Reyes, Ph.L
- 2003-2006 Most Rev. Mylo Hubert C. Vergara, STD (Bishop of Diocese of Pasig at present)
- 2005-2006 Fr. Arthur "Aytoy" Opiniano
- 2006-2012 Fr. Raymond Joseph L. Arre
Schedule of Services
- Monday to Saturday: 6:00 am, 12:00 nn, 6:00 pm
- Sunday: 6:00 am, 7:00 am, 8:00 am, 9:00 am, 10:00 am, 11:00 am, 4:00 pm, 5:00 pm, 6:00 pm, 7:00 pm, 8:00 pm
- Tuesday to Saturday: Individual Baptism
- Saturday Group Baptism: 11:15 am
- Sunday: 2:30 pm
- Tuesday to Saturday: 7:00 am, 8:30 am, 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, 4:00 pm
- Novena to Our Mother of Perpetual Help: Wednesday before 12:00 nn Mass
- Novena to Sacred Heart: Friday after 6:00 pm Mass
- Monday to Friday: after 12:00 nn and 6:00 pm Mass
Mass in other places:
- UP Bliss: Sunday 8:00 am
- Hardin ng Rosas: Sunday 9:00 am
- Area Masses: Monthly
- Monday to Sunday: 6:00 am to 11:00 pm
- Parish of the Holy Sacrifice Outreach Program UP Campus, Quezon City
- Resurrection Mortuary
While the University of the Philippines does not have a pre-school program in its system, the Parish of the Holy Sacrifice Outreach Program is open children ages 3-6 years old. Programs include Toddlers (3 y/o), Nursery (3.5-4 y/o), Kindergarten (4.5-5 y/o) and Preparatory (6 y/o).
- Parish of the Holy Sacrifice official website
- Pre-School program
- Chapel of Sacrifice by Paulo Alcazaren
- UP Catholic Chaplaincy by Fr. JBoy Gonzales SJ
- Ecclesiatical Atlas Diocese of Cubao (2010)
- The Architecture of Leandro V. Locsin, Nicholas Polites, Weatherhill Books.
- Parish of the Holy Sacrifice declared a National Treasure, Francezca C. Kwe. Retrieved on March 31, 2007.
UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES DILIMAN Diliman, Quezon City AcademicsArchaeology • Architecture • Arts & Letters • Asian Center • Business Administration • Economics • Education • Engineering • Fine Arts • Home Economics • Human Kinetics • Islamic Studies • Labor and Industrial Relations • Law • Library & Information Studies • Mass Communication • Music • Public Administration & Governance • Science • Small Scale Industries • Social Sciences & Philosophy • Social Work & Community Development • Statistics • Technology Management • Tourism • Urban and Regional Planning • Integrated School CampusUP Main Library • UP Computer Center • UP Science and Technology Park • UP Press • UP Theater • Carillon • Cine Adarna • UP ITTC • Jorge Vargas Museum • Parish of the Holy Sacrifice • Pre-School • Ang Bahay ng Alumni • Academic Oval • Ikot/Toki • Residence Halls • U.P.–Ayala Land TechnoHub • National Science Complex Athletics Life University of the Philippines UP President • UP Board of Regents UnitsAutonomous College
UP Cebu CollegeSatellite Units
Extension Program in Pampanga (Diliman) • Extension Program in Olongapo (Diliman) • School of Health Sciences, Leyte (Manila) • School of Health Sciences, Aurora (Manila) • Tacloban College (Visayas) • School of Health Sciences, Koronadal City (Manila)Basic Education Units
Crop Protection (NCPC) • Geological Sciences (NIGS) • Health (NIH) • Physics (NIP) • Science and Mathematics Education Development (NISMED) • Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (NIMBB)International (Hosted)
SEAMEO-INNOTECH • SEAMEO-SEARCA • SEAMEO-TROPMED • IRRI • ACB
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.