- Irish grid reference system
The Irish grid reference system is a system of geographic
grid references commonly used in Ireland(both Northern Irelandand the Republic of Ireland). The Irish grid overlaps the British grid.
In general, neither
Irelandnor Great Britainuses latitudeor longitudein describing internal geographic locations. Instead grid referencesystems are in common usage.
The national grid referencing system was devised by the
Ordnance Survey, and is heavily used in their survey data, and in maps (whether published by the Ordnance Survey of Ireland, the Ordnance Survey of Northern Irelandor commercial map producers) based on those surveys. Additionally grid references are commonly quoted in other publications and data sources, such as guide books or government planning documents.
The Ordnance Survey of Ireland has implemented a new coordinate system for Ireland called
Irish Transverse Mercator, or ITM, which will initially run in parallel with the existing Irish grid system.
The area of Ireland is divided into 20 squares, measuring 100
kmby 100km, each identified by a single letter.
Eastings and northings
Within each square, eastings and northings from the origin (south west corner) of the square are given numerically. For example, G0305 means 'square G, 3 km east, 5 km north'. A location can be indicated to varying resolutions numerically, usually from two digits in each coordinate (for a 1 km square) through to five (for a 1 m square); the most common usage is the "six figure grid reference", employing three digits in each coordinate to determine a 100 m square.
Summary parameters of the Irish Grid coordinate system:
:Datum: OSGB1936 Modified,:Map projection:
Transverse Mercator,:Latitude of Origin: 53°30'00 N,:Longitude of Origin: 8°00'00 W,:Scale Factor: 1.000 035,:False Easting: 200000 m,:False Northing: 250000 m
* [http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm?mapAction=gaz&gazName=g&gazString=O008741 O 008 741] (
Newgrange Neolithic tomb, County Meathon OSNI 1:250000 mapping from OrdnanceSurvey.co.uk Get-a-Map).
* [http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm?mapAction=gaz&gazName=g&gazString=C948454 C 948 454] (
Giant's Causeway, County Antrimon OSNI 1:250000 mapping "ibid").
* [http://www.osi.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=b2bd07a6-858e-4eb1-9d09-25917f0c713a "The Irish Grid - A Description of the Co-ordinate Reference System used in Ireland"] -PDF (358kB) on the Irish Grid from OSi.
* [http://www.osi.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=25113681-c086-485a-b113-bab7c75de6fa PDF (221KB) detailing GPS to Irish Grid conversions]
* [http://www.osni.gov.uk/2.1_the_irish_grid.pdf A detailed (42 page) PDF file including history and map of the Irish grid and its links to Britain]
* [http://www.asprs.org/resources/grids/03-99-ireland.pdf A two-page article for the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing summarising the above.]
* [http://www.osi.ie/en/alist/reference-information.aspx?article=42177d93-831a-4c6c-8ebf-cef57b55cd93 History and overview of the system, from OSI]
* [http://www.osi.ie/en/alist/co-ordinate-converter-tool.aspx OSI online coordinate converter tool] .(If "registration" is required enter: "email@example.com" for the email address and "password" for the password.)
* [http://www.gridreference.ie Clickable webmap that shows Irish grid references]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
British national grid reference system — The British national grid reference system is a system of geographic grid references commonly used in Great Britain, different from using latitude and longitude.The Ordnance Survey (OS) devised the national grid reference system, and it is… … Wikipedia
Spatial reference system — Geodesy Fundamentals Geodesy · … Wikipedia
Ordnance Survey National Grid — For the electricity network, see National Grid (Great Britain). Geodesy Fundamentals … Wikipedia
United States National Grid — The United States National Grid, officially known as the United States National Grid for Spatial Addressing (USNG), is a system of geographic grid references commonly used in United States, different from using latitude or longitude. It is… … Wikipedia
National Grid — Contents 1 Electric power transmission systems 2 Companies 3 Geosurvey 4 … Wikipedia
Geographic coordinate system — Map of Earth showing lines of latitude (horizontally) and longitude (vertically), Eckert VI projection; large version (pdf, 3.12MB) … Wikipedia
Meridiano 8 oeste — El meridiano 8 oeste de Greenwich es una línea de longitud que se extiende desde el Polo Norte atravesando el Océano Ártico, el Océano Atlántico, Europa, África, el Océano Antártico y la Antártida hasta el Polo Sur. El meridiano 8 oeste forma un… … Wikipedia Español
Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland — (OSNI) was the official mapping agency of Northern Ireland. The agency ceased to exist separately on 1 April 2008 when it became part of Land and Property Services Northern Ireland, an executive agency of the Northern Ireland Department of… … Wikipedia
Ordnance Survey Ireland — (OSi; Irish: Suirbhéireacht Ordanáis Éireann) is the national mapping agency of the Republic of Ireland and, together with the Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland (O.S.N.I.), succeeded, after 1922, the Irish operations of the United Kingdom… … Wikipedia
Geograph Britain and Ireland — Exemple d’image Geograph en zone rurale. Exemple d’image Geograph en zone urbaine … Wikipédia en Français