- Ratan Thiyam
Ratan Thiyam is an Indian playwright and theatre director, and the winner of
Sangeet Natak Akademi Awardin 1987. Also once known as Thiyam Nemai, Ratan Thiyam is known for writing and staging plays that use ancient Indian theater traditions and forms in a contemporary context. [ [http://manipuronline.com/Profiles/thiyam.htm Thiyam Nemai] ] He is also the founder-director of 'Chorus Repertory Theatre', Imphal, Manipur.
Ratan Thiyam graduated from
National School of Drama, New Delhi in 1974, [ [http://www.nsd.gov.in/Annual_Report_2005-06.pdf NSD Graduates] ] and went on to set up a theatre group called Chorus Repertory Theatre [ [http://www.chorusimphal.com/c/a.php chorusimphal] ] in Imphal, Manipur. He was also briefly the director of National School of Drama(NSD), New Delhi (1987-88).
The Plays of Ratan Thiyam
His works profess a deep concern for social welfare and spiritual yearnings in the midst of the political chaos in the modern world.
His plays infuse rationalised and multifaceted analysis of myriad perspectives. Using ingenius theatrical stagecraft, his plays are tinged with literary beauty and meaning. Most of Ratan Thiyam’s plays are thematically Indianised and are profound plays with universal appeal.
His approach to theatre has been shaped by years of study under the tutelage of several major exponents of the traditional Manipuri performing arts.
His major plays include Ritusamharam: The work seeks solace and sanity amidst chaos and violence of today's world. [ [http://manipuronline.com/Profiles/thiyam.htm Profile at manipuronline] ]
List of Plays
* Uttarpriyadarshi (The Final Beatitude) [ [http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_00/dec00/rr_rev_crt_1000.htm Uttarpriyadarshi at Ballet.co] ]
* Chinglon Mapan Tampak Ama (Nine Hills One Valley) [ [http://www.asiasociety.org/arts/chorus/contextDissent.htm Asia society] ]
* Ritusamharam [ [http://www.hindu.com/mag/2005/01/30/stories/2005013000450500.htm The Hindu, 30 January, 2005] ]
* Andha Yug (The Blind Age) [ [http://www.fordham.edu/campus_resources/public_affairs/inside_fordham/inside_fordham_archi/november_2004/news/renowned_playwright__18831.asp Ratan Thiyam at Fordham University] ]
* Wahoudok (Prologue) [ [theater utsav 2008, national school of drama, new delhi , india.] ]
* 1984: Indo-Greek Friendship Award, 1984 (Greece)
Sangeet Natak Akademi Award
* 1987: Fringe Firsts Award, from Edinburgh International Theatre Festival [http://www.chorusimphal.com/c/a.php]
* 1990: Diploma of Cervantino International Theatre Festival, (Mexico)
Padma Shri[ [http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/jul/20mani.htm which he returned in July, 2001] ]
* [http://www.chorusimphal.com Chorus Repertory Theatre Official website]
* [http://manipuronline.com/Profiles/thiyam.htm Profile at Manipur Online]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National School of Drama — राष्ट्रीय नाट्य विद्यालय Established 1959 Type Public Chairman Amal Alla … Wikipedia
Manipur — মণিপুর State Seal … Wikipedia
Blossom Theatre — is Established on January 2006 by the young Director Partha Gupta and young Statistician Subhradev Sen [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Subhradev] .This is an emerging Bengali group in Theatre and Performing Arts .The group s premere Bengali… … Wikipedia
Performing arts — The performing arts are those forms of art which differ from the plastic arts insofar as the former uses the artist s own body, face and presence as a medium, and the latter uses materials such as clay, metal or paint which can be molded or… … Wikipedia
Meitei people — Meitei redirects here. For the predominant language of Manipur, see Meitei language. Meitei people Total population 1,648,000 Regions with significa … Wikipedia
Dharamvir Bharati — Dr. Dharamvir Bharati धर्मवीर भारती Born December 25, 1926(1926 12 25) Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, British India Died September 4, 1997(1997 09 04 … Wikipedia
Theatre in India — India was invaded a number of times. This played a major role in shaping of Indian culture and heritage. The Medieval India experienced a grand fusion with the invaders from the middle east.India, as a colony of the British Empire, used theatre… … Wikipedia
Manipuri literature — is the literature written in the Manipuri Language (i.e. Meeteilon), including literature composed in Manipuri Language by writers from Manipur, Assam, Tripura, Myanmar and Bangladesh. It is also known as Meetei Literature. The history of… … Wikipedia
Sachchidananda Vatsyayan — Sachchidananda Hirananda Vatsyayan Ajneya सच्चिदानन्द हीरानन्द वात्स्यायन अज्ञेय Born March 7, 1911(1911 03 07) Kushinagar Village, Deoria District, Uttar Pradesh, British India Died April 4, 1987(1987 04 04) (aged 76) New Delhi, Ind … Wikipedia