Pays de la Loire
La Flèche Mamers
Roland du Luart|pres_party=
The department was created during the
French Revolutionon March 4 1790, pursuant to the law of December 22 1789, starting from a part of province of Maine which divided into two departments, Sarthe and Mayenne. [ [http://www.nissan.co.jp/Lemans/environ/region.html The Sarthe region ] ]
In Roman Times, this provence contained the city of Mans, and many ruins are still left standing. The Thermal Bathhouse attracts many tourists, as does the theater of Aubigné-Racan, both located on the limits of Anjoue, Maine, and Touraine
The department of Sarthe is at the north end of the administrative region of
Pays-de-la-Loire. This places it south of Basse-Normandieand on the south edge of the Armorican Massif. It is bordered by the departments of Orne, Eure-et-Loir, Loir-et-Cher, Indre-et-Loire, Maine-et-Loireand Mayenne.
Dyesand Chemical Synthesisare the two main industries in Sarthe. Over 100 countries have plants and factories in Sarthe, making it one of the largest production centers in France. More than 13,000 employees work at these plants, and produce roughly 1.83 billion eurosper year.
Cantons of the Sarthe department
Communes of the Sarthe department
Arrondissements of the Sarthe department
Circuit de la SartheRace circuit for car races
Circuit de la Sarthe (cycling)Annual road cycling race
* [http://www.frenchentree.com/france-pays-de-la-loire/ Sarthe essential information in English from FrenchEntrée]
* [http://www.Sarthe.pref.gouv.fr/ Prefecture]
* [http://www.cg72.fr/ General Council]
* [http://www.sarthe.com/ Sarthe information]
* [http://wikitravel.org/fr/article/Sarthe Sarthe on Wikitravel]
* [http://www.mnhn.fr/mnhn/cbnbp/actions/inventorier/atlas_sarthe/caracteristiquesA72.htm Physical and climatic properties of Sarthe]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.