- Myra Nicholson
Myra Nicholson Born 14 December 1894
Clark's Hill, Ballarat, Victoria
Died 20 September 2007
(aged 112 years, 280 days)
Box Hill, Blackburn, Victoria,
Title Oldest Australian upon death
Myra Leviston "Nicky" Nicholson (14 December 1894 – 20 September 2007) was the oldest living Australian and the eleventh-oldest validated person in the world following the death of French doyenne Marie-Simone Capony on 15 September 2007.
Nicholson came from Blackburn, Victoria, but was born at Clarkes Hill, near Ballarat on 14 December 1894. She descended from a family with a history of longevity – many lived well into their 90, and a distant relative, Vera Labbett, lived to 109 Her husband, Harold, died in 1971.
She was still enjoying life at age 100 and described her centennial in 1994 as "lovely". However, shortly before her death, Nicholson was confined to her bed and said quote "I can't do anything by myself. I get sick of it".
Nicholson shopped independently until in her 90s. She lived on her own until the age of 102, and she became Australia's oldest person at the age of 109, upon the death of 111 year old Alice Lindsay, on 1 July 2004. In July 2006 she was the subject of a controversy in which she had to move out of the closing Blackburn Aged Care Facility and into her family's home.
On 28 August 2006, the death the previous day of the world's oldest person, María Capovilla of Ecuador, left Nicholson as the oldest person from the Southern Hemisphere at the age of 111. British immigrant Florence Finch was still living in New Zealand, but her death on 10 April 2007 gave Nicholson the overall title at 112.
- ^ "Vera almost Australia's oldest person". The Courier. 10 November 2004. http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/vera-almost-australias-oldest-person/188397.aspx. Retrieved 22 October 2009.
- ^ Woolmore, Deborah (22 August 2006). "LABBETT. – Vera.". Herald Sun. http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/AUS-NEWSPAPER-EXTRACTS/2006-10/1160804340. Retrieved 22 October 2009.
- ^ a b Shtargot, Sasha (11 February 2006). "Journey from cradle to grave gets ever longer". The Age. http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/journey-from-cradle-to-grave-gets-ever-longer/2006/02/10/1139542406302.html. Retrieved 14 March 2007.
- ^ "The Blackburn Aged Care Facility Dispute". University of Wollongong. 2006-09. http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/bmartin/dissent/documents/health/nh_blackburn.html. Retrieved 20 September 2007. [dead link]
- ^ "Oldest Aussie dead at 112". Herald Sun. 22 September 2007. http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22460453-662,00.html. Retrieved 22 September 2007.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Myra (given name) — Myra Gender Female Other names Related names Mira, Myron Myra (pronounced /ˈmaɪərə/ US dict: … Wikipedia
Nicholson — Family name Meaning derived from Son of Nichol Region of origin England, Scotland Footnotes:  Nicholson is a surname of northern E … Wikipedia
Myra Soble — together with her husband Jack Soble was tried and jailed for her involvement in the Soble spy ring. Myra Soble (née Perske), was born on March 18, 1904, in Nikloaev, Ukraine, Russia. She was the wife of Jack Soble. Myra and Jack were married on… … Wikipedia
Myra Melford — (* 5. Januar 1957 in Evanstown, Illinois) ist eine US amerikanische Jazzpianistin und komponistin. Melford ist in Chicago aufgewachsen und studierte bis zum Abschluss 1981 am Evergreen State College Klavier und Komposition; ergänzend belegte sie… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Myra Freeman — Her Honour the Honourable Myra Freeman CM DStJ O.N.S. B.Ed BA 29th Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia In office May 17, 2000 – September 7, 2006 … Wikipedia
Reggie Nicholson — Reginald „Reggie“ Nicholson (* in Chicago) ist ein US amerikanischer Schlagzeuger, Perkussionist und Komponist des Avantgarde Jazz. Nicholson gehört seit 1979 dem Chicagoer Musikerkollektiv Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians… … Deutsch Wikipedia
2007 in Australia — Infobox Australian year monarch = Elizabeth II governor general = Michael Jeffery pm =John Howard, then Kevin Rudd population = australian = elections =Federal, NSW See also: 2006 in Australia, other events of 2007, 2008 in Australiayearbox in?=… … Wikipedia
Anne Christopher — Anne Langston Christopher (March 4, 1895 ndash; October 10, 2007) was an American supercentenarian who was, at age 112, the oldest validated person living in the state of Georgia, the seventh oldest in the United States, as well as the 11th… … Wikipedia
Frank Scarrabelotti — (August 4, 1897 – June 12, 2007) was Australia s oldest man at the time of his death, aged 109 (Australia s oldest person at the time of his death was Myra Nicholson, who died later in 2007 at the age of 112).Scarrabelotti was the son of Italian… … Wikipedia
Deaths in September 2007 — Contents 1 September 2007 1.1 30 1.2 29 1.3 28 … Wikipedia