- Lightning Switch
Lightning Switch is a
wirelessand batteryless remote controlswitch technology manufactured by PulseSwitch Systems, a member of The Face Companies group of Norfolk, Virginia USA. It is most commonly used as a wireless light switch.
The Lightning Switch
transmitterrequires no outside source of electricity. Each time the transmitter button is pressed, the transmitter converts the mechanical energy supplied by the user's finger into electricity to power a radio transmission to a receiver/relay through the use of a piezoelectricgenerator (brand name: Lightning) originally invented by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. This technology is described in the 2005 issue of NASA "Spinoff" magazine. [http://www.nasatech.com/Spinoff/Spinoff2005/ch_5.html]
The Lightning Switch is featured in the 2007 Concept Home in Omaha, Nebraska, part of the Partnership for Advancing Technology in Housing (PATH) [http://www.pathnet.org/] coordinated by the
United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Lightning products were studied by HUD consultant Newport Partners, LLC [http://newportpartnersllc.com/technologies/pulseswitch.html] of Davidsonville, Maryland USA.
Lightning Switch won a 2006 NOVA Award, [http://www.cif.org] [http://www.cif.org/nom2006/Nom-17-2006.pdf] the highest international honor for innovation in the construction industry.
In October 2007, NASA cited the employment of the Lightning piezoelectric generator in the Lightning Switch as one of the top 20 spinoff technologies produced over the previous five years, based on factors such as quality of life, economic benefit, and value back to NASA. [http://188.8.131.52/NASA20.pdf]
In March 2008, the Lightning Switch was chosen as the winner of the 2008 SPIE Smart Structures Product Implementation Award. [http://www.spie.org]
* Case Study written by Newport Partners, LLC for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, December 2006
* NASA "Spinoff" 2005 (published 2006)
* "Constructor" magazine, November/December 2006
* Construction Innovation Forum archives
* 2008 SPIE Smart Structures Product Implementation Award Ceremony; March 12, 2008; San Diego, CA
* [http://www.lightningswitch.com Lightning Switch Website]
* [http://www.nasatech.com/Spinoff/Spinoff2005/ch_5.html NASA "Spinoff" 2005]
* [http://www.pathnet.org/ Partnership for Advancing Technology in Housing (PATH) Website]
* [http://www.newportpartnersllc.com/technologies/pulseswitch.html Newport Partners Case Study on Lightning Switch]
* [http://www.cif.org Construction Innovation Forum's NOVA Award Website]
* [http://www.cif.org/nom2006/Nom-17-2006.pdf NOVA Award Description of the Lightning Switch Technology]
* [http://constructor.construction.com/depts/archives/2006-11infotech.asp "Constructor" magazine article on Lightning Switch, November/December 2006]
* [http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=15788&bypass=1 "Electronic Design" article on Lightning piezo, June 21, 2007]
* [http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/how-to/articles/a-better-home-right-now-path-concept-home-design-and-technology-improve-energy-perfomance.aspx "Fine Homebuilding" article on the PATH Concept Home and The Lightning Switch, February/March 2008]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
lightning switch — noun : a switch used in an antenna circuit (as during lightning storms) to connect the antenna to the ground instead of to the radio set … Useful english dictionary
Lightning rod — A lightning rod (USA) or lightning conductor (UK) is a single component in a lightning protection system. In addition to rods placed at regular intervals on the highest portions of a structure, a lightning protection system typically includes a… … Wikipedia
lightning rod — Synonyms and related words: aegis, arm guard, backstop, buffer, bulwark, bumper, contraceptive, copyright, crash helmet, cushion, dashboard, dodger, face mask, fender, finger guard, foot guard, fuse, goggles, governor, guard, guardrail, hand… … Moby Thesaurus
Wireless light switch — A wireless light switch is a light switch that commands a light or home appliance to turn itself off or on, instead of interrupting the power line going to the light fixture. There are different ways to communicate between the switch and the… … Wikipedia
antenna switch — noun : lightning switch … Useful english dictionary
List of Ace Lightning characters — This is a list of characters from the fictional world of Ace Lightning, an action adventure superhero themed television show combining live action and CGI characters. The series lasted thirty nine episodes, lasting for two seasons. Contents 1… … Wikipedia
Light switch — A light switch is a switch, most commonly used to operate electric lights, permanently connected equipment, or electrical outlets.In modern homes most lights are operated using switches set in walls, usually 6 10 inches (15 25 cm) away from a… … Wikipedia
Lockheed XP-58 Chain Lightning — XP 58 Chain Lightning The sole completed XP 58 Role Heavy fighter … Wikipedia
Samuel Face — Samuel Allen Face, Jr. (August 2, 1923 ndash;May 2, 2001) was an American inventor and co developer of some of the most important advances in concrete floor technology and wireless controls. Early lifeFace was born at the home of his maternal… … Wikipedia
List of inventors — This is a list of inventors. See also: List of scientists, Timeline of invention, List of inventions named after people, List of inventors killed by their own inventions, and . Alphabetical list compactTOC NOTOC A * Vitaly Mikhaylovich Abalakov,… … Wikipedia