- Mark Lawson
Mark Lawson Born 11 April 1962
Hendon, London, United Kingdom
Occupation Journalist, broadcaster, author Nationality British
Mark Gerard Lawson (born 11 April 1962) is an English journalist, broadcaster and author.
Life and career
Born in Hendon, London, Lawson was raised in Yorkshire and is a Leeds United fan. He was educated at St Columba's College in St Albans and took a degree in English at University College London, where his lecturers included John Sutherland and A. S. Byatt. He currently lives near Towcester.
Lawson has been a freelance contributor to numerous publications since 1984, beginning on The Universe in that year, and for The Times from 1984 to 1986. He has written a column for The Guardian since 1995, having previously written for The Independent (1986–95), and has twice been TV Critic of the Year as well as winning many other journalism awards. However, his Guardian journalism has not been universally admired and Richard Gott, a former colleague, has commented that the "prevalence of the bland and the obsequious" on The Guardian is typified by Lawson's "embedded presence".
Lawson presented The Late Show on BBC2 in the 1990s and presented its offshoot The Late Review (later Sunday Review and from 2000 Newsnight Review) until the 2005 'review of the year' edition of Newsnight Review, broadcast on 16 December, which marked the end of his association with the format. In 2004, Lawson made a documentary for BBC Four called The Truth About Sixties TV, criticising what he called "golden ageists" who, he claimed, have a rose-tinted view of television's past.
Mark Lawson is one of the regular presenters of BBC Radio 4's daily arts programme, Front Row. He has written several radio plays for the network, including St Graham and St Evelyn (2003) on the friendship between the Catholic novelists Graham Greene and Evelyn Waugh and The Third Soldier Holds His Thighs (2005) on Mary Whitehouse's campaign against the Howard Brenton play The Romans in Britain. He has also written episodes of the television version of the BBC sitcom Absolute Power appearing as himself in the series 1 episode 2, Pope Idol, and is one of many celebrities impersonated by the Dead Ringers team, referred to as "Britain's brainiest potato" and "the thinking woman's potato" because of his baldness. In 2002, Viz ran a spoof of his Newsnight Review programme, featuring Mr Lawson engaged in a desperate search for hard-core pornography, entitled "The Artful Podger".
Since 2006, he has hosted a number of in-depth, one-to-one interviews for BBC Four, entitled Mark Lawson Talks to... . Since 2010, Lawson has been a spokesman for the Robin Hood tax campaign. 
- Bloody Margaret: Three Political Fantasies (Picador, 1991) ISBN 0-330-32386-5
- The Battle for Room Service: Journeys to All the Safe Places (Picador, 1993) ISBN 0-330-32384-9
- Idlewild (Picador, 1995) ISBN 0-330-34111-1
- Going Out Live (Picador, 2001) ISBN 0-330-48860-0
- Enough Is Enough (Picador, 2005) ISBN 0-330-43803-4
- ^ Mark Lawson's Biography: People of Today Debretts.com.
- ^ Ancestry.com. England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916–2005 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008. Original data: General Register Office. England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes. London, England: General Register Office.
- ^ BBC NEWS | Programmes | Newsnight | Review | Mark Lawson. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- ^ "The ITV Story" BBC Radio 4
- ^ "Inside Story: There's only one team in Soho" The Independent 24 January 2005
- ^ "Steve Riches: Lawson makes the effort - but draws with Leeds are best!" Northampton Chronicle 25 June 2011
- ^ Richard Gott "The lost magic of Manchester": Book Review of "The Bedside Years: The Best Writing from The Guardian, 1951-2000", New Statesman, 28 January 2002
- ^ Larry Elliott (2011-09-22). "Bill Gates backs Robin Hood tax on bank trades". The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/sep/22/bill-gates-backs-robin-hood-tax. Retrieved 2011-09-29.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mark Lawson — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Lawson. Mark Lawson, né le 17 mars 1980 à Vancouver (Canada), est un joueur de rugby à XV canadien, évoluant au poste de talonneur pour l équipe nationale du Canada. Mark Lawson a été capitaine de l équipe du… … Wikipédia en Français
Mark Lawson — ➡ Lawson (I) * * * … Universalium
Mark Lawson (disambiguation) — Mark Lawson may refer to: Mark Lawson, English journalist, broadcaster and author Mark Lawson (cricketer), leg spinner who plays for Derbyshire County Cricket Club Mark Lawson (actor), American actor This disambiguation page lists articles… … Wikipedia
Mark Lawson (audio engineer) — Mark Lawson (born September 8, 1978) is a freelance audio engineer and record producer based in Montreal, Canada. He has contributed to, among others, Islands [http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg sql=10:ase67ul050jf T2] , Arcade Fire [http://www … Wikipedia
Mark Lawson (actor) — For other people named Mark Lawson, see Mark Lawson (disambiguation). Mark Lawson Born December 17, 1979 (1979 12 17) (age 31) Bristol, Virginia, U.S. Occupation Actor Years active 200 … Wikipedia
Mark Lawson (cricketer) — For other people named Mark Lawson, see Mark Lawson (disambiguation). Mark Lawson Personal information Full name Mark Anthony Kenneth Lawson Born 24 October 1985 (1985 10 24) (age 26) Leeds, England Nickname Rat Boy H … Wikipedia
Lawson — The name Lawson can refer to a number of different things: People * Alfred Lawson 20th century American aviator, reformer, utopian and religious leader * Alfred Lawson, Jr. Florida state senator (2001 present) * Andrew Lawson Professor of Geology … Wikipedia
Lawson Baronets — There have been six Baronetcies created for people with the name of Lawson. Only one of them is currently extant Lawson (Now Howard Lawson) of Brough Hall.Lawson of Brough, Yorkshire created 6th July, 1665. Extinct January 1834. =Lawson of Isell … Wikipedia
Lawson — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Lawson peut désigner : Patronyme Lawson est un nom de famille notamment porté par : Alan Lawson (né en 1948), joueur écossais de rugby à… … Wikipédia en Français
Mark Feuerstein — Mark Feuerstein, 2009 Born June 8, 1971 (1971 06 08) (age 40) New York City, New York Mark Feuerstein (born June 8, 1971) is an A … Wikipedia