The River Stour at Manningtree
Manningtree shown within Essex
Population 900 (2001 census) OS grid reference District Tendring Shire county Essex Region East Country England Sovereign state United Kingdom Post town MANNINGTREE Postcode district CO11 Dialling code 01206 Police Essex Fire Essex Ambulance East of England EU Parliament East of England UK Parliament Harwich and North Essex List of places: UK • England • Essex
Manningtree is a town and civil parish in the Tendring district of Essex, England, which lies on the River Stour. It adjoins built-up areas of Lawford to the west and Mistley to the east and the three parishes together are sometimes referred to as "Manningtree".
Manningtree is a claimant for the title of smallest town in England.
Manningtree has traditionally claimed to be the smallest town in England, and in 2007 mayor Lee Lay-Flurrie said that this had been confirmed to her by the Census Customer Services, with 700 people in 20 hectares (using the high tide mark). However both this figure and the population of 900 in the civil parish is much higher than the 351 population of Fordwich in Kent. In April 2009 it was proposed that Manningtree should merge with Mistley and Lawford to form a single parish, losing its separate identity as a town.
The name Manningtree is thought to derive from 'many trees'. The town grew around the wool trade from the 15th century under its decline in the 18th century and also had a thriving shipping trade in corn, timber and coal until this declined with the coming of the railway. Manningtree is known as the centre of the activities of Matthew Hopkins, the self-appointed Witchfinder General, who claimed to have overheard local women discussing their meetings with the devil in 1644 with his accusations leading to their execution as witches.
Many of the buildings in the centre of the town have Georgian facades which obscure their earlier origins. Notable buildings include the town's library, which was originally built as, 'a public hall for the purposes of corn exchange' and was later used around 1900 for public entertainment, and the oldest Methodist church in Essex, located on South Street.
Manningtree railway station provides a direct train link to London, Norwich and Harwich.
- Margaret Thatcher, lived in Manningtree, and worked for BX Plastics
- Matthew Hopkins, the self-styled Witch-Finder General, lived in Manningtree
- Llanwrtyd Wells in Wales has a population of 601
- ^ a b "Area: Manningtree CP (Parish)". National Statistics. 28 April 2004. http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=7&b=794649&c=manningtree&d=16&e=15&g=446881&i=1001x1003x1004&m=0&r=1&s=1285290087953&enc=1&dsFamilyId=779. Retrieved 2010-09-24. [dead link]
- ^ "Essex: Town is happy to be small wonder". Echo Newspapers. 7 November 2007. http://archive.echo-news.co.uk/2007/11/7/262780.html. Retrieved 2010-09-24. [dead link]
- ^ "Area: Fordwich CP (Parish)". National Statistics. 28 April 2004. http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=7&b=795410&c=Fordwich&d=16&e=15&g=457433&i=1001x1003x1004&m=0&r=1&s=1285290383900&enc=1&dsFamilyId=779. Retrieved 2010-09-24. [dead link]
- ^ Collitt, Andrea (17 April 2009), "Manningtree: Threat to Mayor", Harwich and Manningtree Standard, http://www.harwichandmanningtreestandard.co.uk/news/localnews/4299842.Manningtree__Threat_to_Mayor/
- ^ a b c d Peers, Deborah (February 2009). "Once upon a time in... Manningtree". Essex Life (Archant Life): pp. 52.
- ^ Lewis, Russell (1975). Margaret Thatcher: a personal and political biography. Routledge and Kegan Paul. pp. 16. ISBN 0710082835. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Ypg9AAAAIAAJ&lpg=PA16&ots=7rjzlowCHh&dq=margaret%20thatcher%20manningtree&pg=PA16#v=onepage&q=&f=false.
- Visit-Manningtree - Information and News/Events for the Manningtree area
- Manningtree Rail Users Association
- Manningtree High School
- Trinity Free Church - Manningtree
Ceremonial county of Essex Unitary authorities Boroughs or districts Major settlementsBasildon • Billericay • Braintree • Brentwood • Brightlingsea • Buckhurst Hill • Burnham-on-Crouch • Canvey Island • Chelmsford • Chigwell • Chipping Ongar • Clacton-on-Sea • Coggeshall • Colchester • Corringham • Dovercourt • Eastwood • Epping • Frinton-on-Sea • Grays • Great Dunmow • Hadleigh • Halstead • Harlow • Harwich • Holland-on-Sea • Ingatestone • Laindon • Langdon Hills • Leigh-on-Sea • Loughton • Maldon • Manningtree • Parkeston • Pitsea • Rayleigh • Rochford • Saffron Walden • Shoeburyness • South Benfleet • Southend-on-Sea • South Woodham Ferrers • Southminster • Stanford-le-Hope • Thaxted • Tilbury • Waltham Abbey • Walton-on-the-Naze • West Mersea • West Thurrock • Wickford • Witham • Wivenhoe
See also: List of civil parishes in Essex
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Manningtree — Original name in latin Manningtree Name in other language State code GB Continent/City Europe/London longitude 51.94538 latitude 1.06112 altitude 8 Population 5753 Date 2010 05 24 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Manningtree railway station — Manningtree Location Place … Wikipedia
Manningtree High School — Motto Go With Him Twain Type Foundation School Specialism Science Location Colchester Road Lawford Manningtree … Wikipedia
National Express East Anglia — Not to be confused with National Express East Coast. National Express East Anglia … Wikipedia
Colchester railway station — Colchester The old station building, now the rear entrance Location … Wikipedia
List of bus routes in Essex — A map which shows the area these services operate in. This is a list of bus routes in Essex, United Kingdom. The major operators in the Essex area are First Essex, Hedingham Omnibuses and Regal Busways. Other operators in … Wikipedia
BBC Radio Suffolk — Infobox Radio Station name = BBC Radio Suffolk city = Ipswich area = Suffolk branding = slogan = airdate = April 12 1990 frequency = 95.5 MHz, 104.6 MHz share = 15.1% share as of = March 2008 share source =… … Wikipedia
Lawford — infobox UK place country = England latitude= 51.940 longitude= 1.045 official name= Lawford population = shire district= Tendring shire county = Essex region= East of England constituency westminster= North Essex post town= Manningtree|postcode… … Wikipedia
Mayflower Line — Overview Type Heavy rail Locale Essex East of England Operation Owner Network Rail … Wikipedia
Chelmsford railway station — Chelmsford Location Place Chelm … Wikipedia