- List of political parties in Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico has a hybrid
first past the postelectoral system, in which a voter can vote by party, by candidate or both. To qualify as an official political party (and thus be able to appear on the printed state electoral ballot) a party must meet the criteria set forth by the [http://electionspuertorico.org/referencia/ley.electoral.html Puerto Rico Electoral Law] . These criteria categorizes political parties as follows:
* Principal Party - one that obtained at least 3% of the straight-ticket party votes cast in the prior general election, or 7% of the party-label votes for the governor & resident commissioner, or 5% of the gubernatorial candidate votes.
* Principal Party of the Majority - one that obtained the majority of governor candidate votes cast in the prior general election.
* Party by Petition - one that has submitted the minimum number of signatures required for new registration (currently 5 percent of the total of all votes cast for governor in the prior general election)
Political parties meeting the stated criteria are certified and inscribed by the State Elections Commission.
As of May 9, 2007, Puerto Rico has four registered electoral parties:
A number of unregistered political parties and organizations exist in Puerto Rico outside of the electoral arena. These organizations span the entire political spectrum:
Movimiento Socialista de los Trabajadores(Socialist Workers Movement). Socialist Revolutionary organization, with strong bases in the trade union and student movement. [http://www.bandera.org Bandera Roja - Periodical, in Spanish]
Hostosian National Independence Movement(MINH) - (Umbrella organization in favor of pro independence and nationalist movements)- "Movimiento Independentista Nacional Hostosiano"
Pro ELAIn favor of a freely associated republicstatus.
United Statehooders- "Estadistas Unidos".
Socialist Front- An umbrella of socialist organizations.
Republican Party of Puerto Rico- The Republican Party of Puerto Rico (Spanish: Partido Republicano) is an affiliate of the national Republican Party in Puerto Rico.
* Democratic Party of Puerto Rico - The Democratic Party of Puerto Rico (Spanish: Partido Democrata) is an affiliate of the national Democratic Party in Puerto Rico.
Index of political partiesto browse parties by name
List of political partiesto browse parties by country
List of political parties by ideologyto browse parties by name
* Membership of internationals to browse parties by membership of internationals
List of political parties in the United States
Puerto Rican Independence Movement
* [http://www.porpuertorico.com/index_english.html Puerto Ricans for Puerto Rico (PRPR)]
* [http://www.ceepur.org/?en Commonwealth Elections Commission of Puerto Rico] ("see:" General Information)
* [http://www.ppdpr.net/ Popular Democratic Party of Puerto Rico (PPD)]
* [http://www.bandera.org/ Socialist Workers Movement (MST)]
* [http://www.goppr.org/index.php.en/ Republican Party of Puerto Rico]
* [https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/rq.html CIA World Factbook: Puerto Rico]
* [http://electionspuertorico.org/home_en.html Elections in Puerto Rico]
* [http://www.politicaboricua.com Puertorican Politics Portal]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of political parties in the United States — This is a list of political parties in the United States, both past and present. This is an incomplete list, which may never be able to satisfy particular standards for completeness. You can help by expanding it with reliably sourced entries.… … Wikipedia
Political status of Puerto Rico — Puerto Rican Status Referenda have been held four times to determine the political status of the island of Puerto Rico in relation to the United States of America. Since the establishment of the current Commonwealth status in 1952, further… … Wikipedia
List of political parties campaigning for self-government — This is a list of political parties campaigning for self government. Listed here are parties with a specific ethnic minority background or regional parties active on a national level promoting more autonomy or independence for their region. Only… … Wikipedia
List of political parties in Haiti — Haiti This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Haiti Constitution President (List) … Wikipedia
List of political parties in Aruba — Aruba This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Aruba Constitution Governor Fr … Wikipedia
Puerto Rico — This article is about the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. For other uses, see Puerto Rico (disambiguation). Commonwealth of Puerto Rico Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico … Wikipedia
List of Puerto Rico-related articles — The following is a list of topics about the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. NOTOC compactTOC4 0–9*51st state (hypothetical) *65th Infantry Regiment (United States)A*Aeromed *Aerovias Nacionales de Puerto Rico *African immigration to Puerto Rico… … Wikipedia
Puerto Ricans for Puerto Rico Party — Infobox Political party party name = Puerto Ricans for Puerto Rico Party PPR partido Puertorriqueños por Puerto Rico party colorcode = Orange leader = Rogelio Figueroa (PPR President) foundation = 2003 headquarters = Santurce, San Juan, Puerto… … Wikipedia
Puerto Rico Democratic Party — The Puerto Rico Democratic Party is the local branch of the Democratic Party in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. The party is divided between supporters of the current Commonwealth status and those who favor statehood for Puerto Rico. The current … Wikipedia
Political parties in the United States — For complete list, see List of political parties in the United States. United States This article is part of the series: Politics and government of the United States … Wikipedia