In the late 1980s,
Mazdadiversified in the Japanmarket with the launch of three new marques. The company created Autozam, Eunos, and Ẽfini, in addition to the Mazdaand Ford brands already marketed there. This experiment was ended in the mid-1990s.
The Ẽfini name and logo originated in several limited-edition RX-7s from the late 1980s. As a brand, it encompassed most, if not all dealers formerly under Mazda's "Auto" dealer chain.
The Ẽfini marque was a sport-oriented brand, as opposed to the more comfortable, luxury-oriented Eunos. Today, Mazda continues to use the Ẽfini name as one of the company's dealership chains, along with Autozam, but the vehicles sold no longer use it. This included the following vehicles:
Efini MPV/ Mazda MPV
Efini MS-6/ Mazda Cronos
Efini MS-8car unique to the brand
Efini MS-9/ Mazda 929
Efini RX-7/ Mazda RX-7
Naming the marque
The name is written with a tilde over the E, which can be assumed to be a
nasal vowelwritten in the International Phonetic Alphabet, the pronunciation symbols universally taught in Japan, and used quite often in product naming. The accompanying katakana(アンフィニ "anfini") shows the intended pronunciation in Japanese. A Google search for combinations of 'Mazda' with various spellings shows the following list, in descending order of popularity:
* (8230 hits) 'Anfini': the normal (Hepburn) romanisation of the Japanese reading
* (6170 hits) 'Efini': the IPA with the diacritic removed (most of these hits seem to be in Russian)
* (1470 hits) 'Enfini': presumably a misspelling (or misguess) of the French, influenced by the 'E-tilde' of the IPA.
* (956 hits) 'Infini': a point of confusion due to the similar pronunciation. The Infini was a special line of high-performance, lightweight 323s and 3rd-gen RX-7s. Taken from the word "infinity", which the logo (a sideways or "lazy" 8) symbolizes.
* (433 hits) 'Ifini': seen in New Zealand imports from Japan.Mazda spells the name "Anfini" in official corporate publications, but other official sites use "Enfini" and "Efini", see for example [http://www.enfini-aomori.co.jp/index.html Enfini-Aomori] .
* [http://web.archive.org/web/20041011185012/http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/history.html Mazda RX-7 History (via Internet Archive)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ẽfini MS-8 — Ẽfini Frontansicht Efini MS 8 MS 8 Hersteller: Mazda Produktionszeit … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ẽfini — Logo der Marke Ẽfini Ẽfini (jap. アンフィニ, Anfini) ist eine im Jahre 1990 gegründete Automobilmarke des japanischen Automobilherstellers Mazda, welche lediglich auf dem japanischen Heimatmarkt vertrieben wurde. Der Firmensitz befindet sich in … Deutsch Wikipedia
Efini MS-8 — The Efini MS 8 was a luxury car produced by Mazda and sold through the Efini marque from March 1992 through 1995. The car is a replacement to the Mazda Persona and Eunos 300 on the Mazda M platform.Just like the Persona is based on the 1987 1991… … Wikipedia
Efini MS-6 — The Efini MS 6 was the Japanese name for the 5 door hatchback variant of the 1991 Mazda 626.The MS 6 was launched under the Efini brand, as a separate car from the Cronos sedan, as Mazda was at the beginning of an ambitious 5 brand expansion plan … Wikipedia
éfini — défini redéfini … Dictionnaire des rimes
List of Mazda vehicles — This is a list of Mazda automobile models. Most Mazda vehicles have a different name for the Japan home market than is used in the rest of the world. Both names are included below, though the (often more consistent) Japanese names are often… … Wikipedia
GT4 — Gran Turismo 4 Gran Turismo 4 Éditeur Sony Computer Entertainment Développeur Polyphony Digital Concepteur Kazunori Yamauch … Wikipédia en Français
Gran Turismo 4 — Éditeur Sony Computer Entertainment Développeur Polyphony Digital Concepteur Kazunori Yamauchi … Wikipédia en Français
Gran Turismo 5 — Éditeur Sony Computer Entertainment Développeur Polyphony Digital Concepteur Ka … Wikipédia en Français
Gran turismo 4 — Éditeur Sony Computer Entertainment Développeur Polyphony Digital Concepteur Kazunori Yamauch … Wikipédia en Français