- Compton, Berkshire
St Mary's and St Nicholas Church
Compton shown within Berkshire
Population 1,521 (2001) OS grid reference Parish Compton Unitary authority West Berkshire Ceremonial county Berkshire Region South East Country England Sovereign state United Kingdom Post town Newbury Postcode district RG20 Dialling code 01635 Police Thames Valley Fire Royal Berkshire Ambulance South Central EU Parliament South East England UK Parliament Newbury Website Compton Parish Council List of places: UK • England • Berkshire
Compton is a village and civil parish in the River Pang valley in the Berkshire Downs about 6.5 miles (10.5 km) south of Didcot. It has a population of 1,521. The Pang flows through the village as a winter bourne, a stream that only flows after periods of unusually high rainfall.
The bell tower of the Church of England parish church of Saint Mary and Saint Nicholas was built in the 13th century and has Perpendicular Gothic features that were added in the 15th century. In 1850 the nave and chancel were modernised or rebuilt and in 1905 the Gothic Revival architect John Oldrid Scott added the north aisle.
In 1881 the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway was completed through the parish and Compton railway station was opened. British Railways withdrew passenger services from the line and closed Compton station in 1962. BR had closed Compton goods yard by 1966. Through freight traffic was withdrawn in 1967 and the line was closed and dismantled.
Amenities and economy
The academically successful The Downs School local authority secondary school is in Compton.
- ^ "Area selected: West Berkshire (Unitary Aurhority)". Neighbourhood Statistics: Full Dataset View. Office for National Statistics. http://neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/viewFullDataset.do?instanceSelection=03070&productId=779&$ph=60_61&datasetInstanceId=3070&startColumn=1&numberOfColumns=4&containerAreaId=790310. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- ^ a b c d Pevsner, 1966, page 120
- ^ a b Page & Ditchfield, 1924, pages 15-21
- Page, William; Ditchfield, P.H., eds (1924). Victoria County History: A History of the County of Berkshire, Volume 4. pp. 15–21.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus (1966). The Buildings of England: Berkshire. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 120–121.
- Berkshire History: Compton
- The Institute for Animal Health
- Compton CoE Primary School
- The Downs School
- St Mary and St Nicholas Parish Church
- West Berkshire Council Parish Plan for Compton
- Compton Players, a local amateur dramatics group
- The Compton Swan, a gastropub in Compton
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Compton — may refer to: Contents 1 Places 1.1 Canada 1.2 England 1.3 … Wikipedia
Compton — ist der Name mehrerer Orte in England: Compton (Berkshire) Compton (Plymouth) Compton (Surrey) Compton (Wiltshire) Compton (Wolverhampton) in den Vereinigten Staaten: Compton (Arkansas) Compton (Illinois) Compton (Kalifornien) Compton (Maryland)… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Compton railway station — Compton Compton railway station building Location Place … Wikipedia
Compton Beauchamp — Coordinates: 51°35′06″N 1°35′56″W / 51.585°N 1.599°W / 51.585; 1.599 … Wikipedia
Compton — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Compton peut faire référence à : Sommaire 1 Toponymie 1.1 Canada … Wikipédia en Français
Compton, Denis Charles Scott — ▪ 1998 British cricketer (b. May 23, 1918, Hendon, Middlesex, Eng. d. April 23, 1997, Windsor, Berkshire, Eng.), was one of the 20th century s most gifted and audacious batsmen, admired for his mastery of the sweeping stroke and his cheeky… … Universalium
Compton — This interesting name is of Anglo Saxon origin, and is a locational surname from the numerous places so called in Berkshire, Hampshire, Somerset, and Surrey, to name but a few. The derivation which seems the most probable, due to the fact that it … Surnames reference
The Downs School (Berkshire) — Infobox UK school name = The Downs School size = latitude = longitude = dms = motto = motto pl = established = approx = closed = c approx = type = Comprehensive foundation school religion = Secular president = head label = head = Valerie Houldey… … Wikipedia
List of places in Berkshire — This is a list of settlements in Berkshire, England. See the list of places in England for places in other counties. Many of the settlements listed here are , and any red links represent settlements that currently do not have enough knowledge… … Wikipedia
Denis Compton — Personal information Full name Denis Charles Scott Compton Born 23 May 1918(1918 05 23) Hendon, Middlesex, England Died 23 April 1997 … Wikipedia